[net.college] THE game - TEXAS-OU

dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker) (12/07/84)

As much as it pains me to have to agree with an Okie, he's right.
TEXAS - OU (he got the order wrong, but what else can you expect
from an Okie?) is THE GAME!

In fact, it's so much THE GAME, so obviously THE GAME, that no-one
in either state even has to refer to it as THE GAME! It is often
just called "the game" as in "the game of football" or "the game of
life". Or sometimes it's just called "THE", as in the great new
English band, The The. Sometimes it's not even called any of these
things - it's called "The Weekend", sometimes without capitals. You
see, in the Lone Star State we don't HAVE to capitalize things which
are so obviously paramount. Stanford my hinie! I have to agree with
that Okie again - Oregon - Oregon St. - HAH! They don't play football
in Oregon, they play ring-around-the-rosy!

Basically, the Texas-OU game is a intrastate rivalry, because so many
Texans are on the OU squad, and what ones there are are all starters.
As the bumper sticker says, "OU - The best Texans money can buy". And
as further evidence, look how long little Freddie Akers has hung in
at Texas even though he hasn't even heard the word "offense" since
Earl Campbell left - he remains because unlike Darrel Royal, he can
beat OU more often than not, and ole Darrel never really could -
Barry "Clench-My-Jaw" Switzer always gave him fits. Hell - Freddie
couldn't even beat A&M this year, the S**THEAD! All he's going to
get Texas to is the damn *Bluebonnet* Bowl - how pansy! I gotta
go now - my blood pressure's boiling...

Davis "Please God Let OU Lose So They Can Be The First Powerhouse To
Get Beaten Out For Number One By BYU" Tucker
AT&T Information Systems
Denver, CO

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (12/10/84)

> As much as it pains me to have to agree with an Okie, he's right.
	Just because he's at OU doesn't mean he's an Okie.  I went
	there, and I'm definitely no Okie (even though I would rather
	be called an Okie than a Texan - while at OU I noticed that
	most of the jerks I met there were from Texas...  :-(   ).

> TEXAS - OU (he got the order wrong, but what else can you expect
> from an Okie?) is THE GAME!
	As much as it pains me to have to agree with a Texan, he's
	right  (except for the part about the Okie...).  The
	OU - TEXASS game is definitely *the game*.   The rest of
	those 'games' aren't even real football...  Most of those
	other teams could have been beaten by my high school team...
	Oklahoma and Texas have to be the two best states in the
	nation for college football (except maybe for Texas :-).

> things - it's called "The Weekend", sometimes without capitals. You
	How about the '3 day weekend'?  (longer for alot of people)  I
	don't know about Texass, but at OU they get a 3 day weekend
	each year for the game.  They get a day to recuperate from the
	festivities (and brawls) that take place in Dallas...  That
	didn't seem to be long enough, however...

> As the bumper sticker says, "OU - The best Texans money can buy". And
	As the tee shirt says: "Tuck Fexas".  Or, "Bevo is sterile"
	(or gay, or is a hairdresser, or whatever...).

	I'm surprised Colorado lets Texans in.  Kinda gives me the
	feeling that Colorado isn't as nice a state as I thought it
	was...  :-)

	Go OU!

		Craig Miller (formerly uokvax!craig)
		..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm
--
Craig Miller
..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

"Unix(tm): it's not just a job, it's fun."

dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker) (12/11/84)

> I'm surprised Colorado lets Texans in. Kinda gives me the feeling
> that Colorado isn't as nice a state as I thought it was... :-)

If only Oklahoma wouldn't let Texans in... what would Barry Switzer
do for a starting football team? But then, what do you know - you
moved to St. Louis!

Davis "God I Don't Want To Go Home For Xmas And Listen To Every Aggie
I Know Talk About You-Know-What For You-Know-How-Long" Tucker
AT&T Information Systems
Denver, CO

P.S. - The reason they let us in is because we own more than half of
       it already! And the Canadians own the other half...

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (12/12/84)

[]

[ <1021@druri.UUCP> dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker) ]:
> If only Oklahoma wouldn't let Texans in... what would Barry Switzer
> do for a starting football team?
	I'd have to agree here... (even though it hurts to agree with
	this Texan...)  Then again, why are all those dumb Texans
	playing for OU rather that UT?  Says something for UT, doesn't
	it?

> 				 But then, what do you know - you
> moved to St. Louis!
	I get the idea this comment is trying to start something.
	So...  (1) I grew up in the St. Louis area, (2) I went
	to OU (to answer the obvious question: at the time Mizzou
	didn't have a decent Computer Science department)  (3) I
	eventually found my way back here (via Boston, believe it
	or not...)   It's funny the way people say things about
	places they have never been and know nothing about...

p.s.	by the way, I do have some friends from Texas - but since these
	people are pretty nice people, they're obviously the exception...
--

beth@umcp-cs.UUCP (Beth Katz) (12/15/84)

In article <357@busch.UUCP> dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) writes:
>[ <1021@druri.UUCP> dht@druri.UUCP (Davis Tucker) ]:
>> If only Oklahoma wouldn't let Texans in... what would Barry Switzer
>> do for a starting football team?
>	I'd have to agree here... (even though it hurts to agree with
>	this Texan...)  Then again, why are all those dumb Texans
>	playing for OU rather that UT?  Says something for UT, doesn'tit?

It seems to me that this is a double-edged sword.  Maybe the OU Texans did
not want to go to UT for various reasons.  Or maybe UT didn't think they
were good enough.  Maybe I don't know what ESAD means in the subject line.

Craig and Davis:  Don't try to apply logic to this.  We're having fun.

Beth:	Okay, fine!  Could you guys at least cheer for Maryland in the Sun
	Bowl.  The team has looked great this week as I've stared out my
	office window onto the practice field.  GO TERPS.