[net.college] The Draft

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (12/07/84)

> Why are men the only ones to be drafted if there is a war? I'm not suggesting
> the women go into combat (unless they want to) but there are other jobs where
> they can serve their country too. Such jobs might include (but not restricted
> too ) comunications, electronics, and any desk jobs. If healthy young men can
> be made to help the fight for their country why not women? No flames about
> being sexist please, I personaly wouldn't mind seing them do any job currently
> being done by a man.

AU CONTRAIRE!  I don't think that having women in the draft is sexist,
it is NOT having women in the draft that is sexist.

I don't see what makes them incapable of being able to perform in any
stituation (after all, they wanted equality.)  In the Israeli Army,
the women will fight right alongside the men.  In the Russian Army, I
don't think the women will actually be sent into the trenches, but
they do serve in every other role, including Combat Pilot.

And yes, I think you are being sexist in "any desk jobs".  Why can't
they do KP also?

Walt Pesch
AT&T Technologies
ihnp4!ihuxp!wbpesch

The U.S. Army - where everyone learns to kill and 95% get some king of
technical training.

arens@uscvax.UUCP (Yigal Arens) (12/09/84)

> I don't see what makes them incapable of being able to perform in any
> stituation (after all, they wanted equality.)  In the Israeli Army,
> the women will fight right alongside the men.  In the Russian Army, I
> don't think the women will actually be sent into the trenches, but
> they do serve in every other role, including Combat Pilot.
>
> Walt Pesch

I thought I might clear up a misconception of Walt Pesch, and
apparently many other people:  In the Israeli army women do NOT
"fight right alongside the men".  Women do not take part in any
combat, and have not done so since the war in 1948 - even then
this was a fairly rare occurrence.  All combat related jobs in the
Israeli army are closed to women, as are most other
stereotypically male occupations.  Women are almost exclusively
secretaries and clerks.  Only about 15 years ago were women first
allowed to be automobile drivers, for example.

Obviously, by pointing out this situation I do not mean to imply
that women are incapable of performing any job.

Yigal Arens
USC
arens%usc-cse@csnet-relay.arpa
arens@usc-cse.arpa
!{randvax,sdcrdcf}!uscvax!arens

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/09/84)

--
>> AU CONTRAIRE!  I don't think that having women in the draft is
>> sexist, it is NOT having women in the draft that is sexist.

>> I don't see what makes them incapable of being able to perform in
>> any stituation (after all, they wanted equality.)  In the Israeli
>> Army, the women will fight right alongside the men...

>> Walt Pesch

That's a popular misconception about the Israeli army.  Both men
and women are drafted, but Israeli women have not been assigned combat
duties since the 50's.  When in Israel I was told that all women were
removed from combat after several female soldiers were killed rather
gruesomely during some border skirmish back then.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (12/10/84)

In article <150@ihu1m.UUCP> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>When in Israel I was told that all women were
>removed from combat after several female soldiers were killed rather
>gruesomely during some border skirmish back then.

Why?  Were MALE soldiers removed from combat when some of them were killed
"rather gruesomely"?  Why not?

Ah if only this were to happen -- no more war!

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (12/11/84)

+----------------
|>Why are men the only ones to be drafted if there is a war? I'm not suggesting
|>the women go into combat (unless they want to) but there are other jobs where
|>they can serve their country too.
|
| AU CONTRAIRE!  I don't think that having women in the draft is sexist,
| it is NOT having women in the draft that is sexist.
|
| I don't see what makes them incapable of being able to perform in any
| stituation (after all, they wanted equality.)  [International examples.]

It isn't the women's fault; NOW and a few other groups lobbied for drafting
women as well as men if there were to be a draft; DoD (or Reagan?  Or
even Carter?  I forget) quashed it.

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa
				       |    BALLBERY (161-7070) on MCI Mail
---------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
	      Keeping the Galaxies safe for Civilization... :-)

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (12/12/84)

<drafty?  try bug insulation>

|>> I don't see what makes them incapable of being able to perform in
|>> any stituation (after all, they wanted equality.)  In the Israeli
|>> Army, the women will fight right alongside the men...
|>> Walt Pesch
|
|That's a popular misconception about the Israeli army.  Both men and
|women are drafted, but Israeli women have not been assigned combat
|duties since the 50's.  When in Israel I was told that all women were
|removed from combat after several female soldiers were killed rather
|gruesomely during some border skirmish back then.
|ken perlow

I recall reading in the early seventies that one reason theat women were
not being used in the Israeli army in combat or police situations any more
was because the Arabs would fight longer and harder, refusing to surrender,
because it was so unmanly to be defeated by a mere woman.

Unfortunately the added ferocity of their resistance increased casualties
on both sides.

Hutch

faunt@saturn.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (12/13/84)

I suspect that having women in combat is offensive enough to the
people who would support a war, that if the armed services had
women in combat jobs, then NOBODY would support the war.
--
	...!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay
HP is in no way responsible for anything I say here.

coller@utah-cs.UUCP (Lee D. Coller) (12/14/84)

[]

>It isn't the women's fault; NOW and a few other groups lobbied for drafting
>women as well as men if there were to be a draft; DoD (or Reagan?  Or
>even Carter?  I forget) quashed it.
>--bsa
>--
>  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
>6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa
>   (216) 524-1416             \ 44131  | E1439@CSUOHIO.BITNET (friend's acct.)
>				       |    BALLBERY (161-7070) on MCI Mail
>---------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
>	      Keeping the Galaxies safe for Civilization... :-)

Congress quashed it, Carter wanted both men and women to register.
-Lee

6912ar04@sjuvax.UUCP (rowley) (12/19/84)

()

 I think they oughtn't let ANYBODY to be combat soldiers. That would solve a few
problems.:-)

                                           A. J. Rowley

 My nomination for net theme song: "Time", by Pink Floyd: "Ticking away the
moments that make up a dull day/Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way"