[net.college] THE Game

dardik@yale.ARPA (The Lord ) (11/25/84)

Let's be serious now - everyone really knows what THE one and only game
is (hint:  Yale beat Harvard 30-27), so knock it off, huh?  -Alan

fishkin@ucbvax.ARPA (Ken Fishkin) (11/26/84)

In article <6433@yale.ARPA> dardik@yale.ARPA (The Lord ) writes:
>Let's be serious now - everyone really knows what THE one and only game
>is (hint:  Yale beat Harvard 30-27), so knock it off, huh?  -Alan

Two years ago, this same issue came up in net.sport.football.
As a new grad at Berkeley, I was amazed to find that anybody could
be referring to anything but the Michigan-Ohio State game as "The Big Game".
I asked netters the following: "If somebody asks you what the score was
in The Big Game, what game do you think of?".
	Here's a list of the responses (as many as I remember):

	Ohio State - Michigan
	Berkeley - Stanford
	Yale - Harvard
	Lehigh - Bucknell
	Texas Somebody - Texas Somebody Else

Perhaps more surprising were the games which, I was told, were *not*
given any special designation: Oklahoma-Texas, Pitt-Penn State,
Florida-Florida State, USC-UCLA.

	My memory is pretty fuzzy, though; any other nominees?
--
		Ken Fishkin		Berkeley Computer Graphics Lab
		ucbvax!fishkin		fishkin@berkeley

ag5@pucc-k (Henry C. Mensch) (11/27/84)

<<>>

	Now, now...  Everybody who's anybody <in Indiana, anyway> knows
that the BIG GAME is the Purdue U. -- Indiana U. game ... such battle I
have never seen, and all for the temporary ownership of the Old Oaken
Bucket.. <heeheehee!>

Henry C. Mensch  |  User Confuser | Purdue University User Services
{ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|seismo|allegra|cbosgd|harpo}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
                    "Season's Beatings!"  ;-}

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (11/28/84)

-----------------------

Most people agree in Oregon that THE game is:

       OREGON -- OREGON STATE

The two colleges are in towns that are about 45 miles from each other.
It makes for quite a rivalry.  The above, of course, is NCAA, which is
what most people pay attention to.

However, I went to a small state college (full-time enrollment = 2700) in
southern Oregon called Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT) that was NAIA
conference.  THE Game down there was:

       OIT -- SOSC (Southern Oregon State College)

After losing heavily for a number of years (they didn't even score until the
fourth game my first year in college), OIT began making a comeback.  In 1979,
OIT was undefeated (best record on the west coast that year) going into the
homecoming game with SOSC.  Up to that day, OIT had not won a football game
against SOSC in 21 games in 18 years.  Needless to say, the town of Klamath
Falls was pumped.  The mayor proclaimed the day, "Beat Southern Oregon State
Day."

Of course, we won.  It snowed, it rained, and it blew, but OIT hammered SOSC
into the ground with an embarrasing 45 - 14 win.  There was a hot time in
the old town that night.

                    Ah, college memories,

                    Walt Tucker
                    Tektronix, Inc.

srt@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/29/84)

Gee, I thought THE game was the Washington University (St. Louis) -
Rose Hulman soccer game :-)

    Scott R. Turner
    UCLA Computer Science Department
    3531 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90024
    ARPA:  srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt

wed722@uiucuxa.UUCP (11/29/84)

ill                                                                        ini
ill    any game illinois plays at home is a big game. (ohio and            ini
ill       michigan, bah!!!)                                                ini
ill                                                                        ini

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (11/30/84)

And all along I thought it was the match-up between Henderson State
University and Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, Arkansas
(NAIA).  The campuses are separated by a street and the game week
shenanigans can get pretty hairy.  The HSU frats try to break off the
tail on the bronze OBU Tiger statue:  naturally, it's very well
guarded.

The county being dry seems to have very little bearing on the sobreity
of the frats and the jocks.

The game they had my last year at HSU (1973) we lost 4-0 (ugh!).
--

Joe Presley (ihnp4!j.presley)

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (12/01/84)

While we're waxing nostalgic on the subject of great rivalries,
who else (besides the alums of the respective institutions involved)
remembers vaguely the incredible 1982 Cal - Stanford ``Big Game''?

What famous player said in an interview the next day,

	``In four seconds, they ruined my entire college career''?

With luck, Stanford will never live down The Play.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,unisoft,fortune,sun,nsc}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

lorne@uokvax.UUCP (12/05/84)

WRONG WRONG WRONG. You people don't know what THE GAME really means.
You have your cross town rivalries and your intra-state rivalries. But
here in Oklahoma, we have the ONE and ONLY BIG GAME.

		OKLAHOMA - TEXAS.  (football of course)

(notice how texas is last).  This is an inter-state rivalry, this game
is so big that they have to pick a neutral town to have it in (that is
if you can call Dallas neutral).  We even get a long weekend to recover
from the after effects. I mean this game is big, bigger than OU-Nebraska
(a piddly BIG-8 rivalry), and much larger than the OU-OSU (Oklahoma State)
which is a tiny intra-state rivalry (we always kick their ass). The
cal - stanford game is nothing compared to what happens at Dallas every
year in october. Oregon - Oregon State Huh, when were they on National TV?

Come on people get real, Oklahoma - Texas is the only game and is the only
TRUE "The GAME". What do people in Texas have to say about this. Come on
I know there are some people out there who live in Dallas, what do you think
about this game....

						Let us hear from you
						   Lorne

						uokvax!lorne
					Soon to be the #1 team in the nation

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (12/08/84)

> Let's be serious now - everyone really knows what THE one and only game
> is (hint:  Yale beat Harvard 30-27), so knock it off, huh?  -Alan

Obviously Yale cheated.
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
of government."  -Monty Python

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick Cuccia) (12/22/84)

> While we're waxing nostalgic on the subject of great rivalries,
> who else (besides the alums of the respective institutions involved)
> remembers vaguely the incredible 1982 Cal - Stanford ``Big Game''?

I guess that I don't count as an alum, since I'm (miraculously) still
  here.  I was on the Cal 40, about ten rows back.  To say the least,
  it was WEIRD!!  Guys looked like they were down, but suddenly you see
  this person running through the Stanfurd Marching Banned.  Then silence,
  then the cannon on Tightwad Hill went off.  They gave Cal the score.

Forget sanity; it felt good partying on the astroturf with thousands of
  others.  Then I went back to Evans Hall and finished up a lab.

> What famous player said in an interview the next day,
>
> 	``In four seconds, they ruined my entire college career''?

Not hard.  John Elway, in his last game wearing the Cardinal and
  white.  Question: is it true that Elway (John) has never won a
  Cal-Stanfurd matchup?

> With luck, Stanford will never live down The Play.
>
> 	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA
--Nick Cuccia
--ucbvax!cuccia
--cuccia@ucb-vax.arpa