[net.college] Where have all the hackers gone?

brownc@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric C. Brown) (12/08/84)

Subject: Where have all the hackers gone?
Newsgroups: net.college, net.cse

The following is a message that I have forwarded for a friend of mine:
Because of the popularity of computer science as a field of study as of late,
many computer science departments have been forced to severely limit
enrollment.  Generally they do this by raising entrance requirements
and by requiring new freshmen to take "weed out" courses designed to make
computer science as unpleasant as possible.  This ensures that only the
fittest students will survive, the rest being exiled to other majors or
other schools.  There is only one disturbing fact:  The fittest students
aren't neccessarily the best programmers.

  Computer science departments around the country are systematically screening
out the hackers.  The department I belong has very few undergraduate hacker
types.  They are being replaced by normal looking, normal acting people who
only want to make money.  They do their assignments on time, and seldom write
anything that they aren't either getting credit for, or being paid for.  It's
sickening.

  Where have the hackers gone?  They must have gone somewhere.  Does anyone
know of a computer science department somewhere that has decent facilities but
still allows undergraduates the oppertunity to work on their own prodjects.  Is
there anyplace out there that gives undergraduates access to uucp.  I know that
that is a lot to ask of a department, but the must be someplace, deep in the
backwaters of computer sciencedom, laid back enough to give undergraduates the
opportunity to really learn how to program.

	Steven (Harley) Davidson

Send Replies, Flames, and so forth to:

	..!decvax!harpo!utah-cs!brownc

and I will forward them.

	Eric C. Brown (the grumpy)

allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) (12/09/84)

In article <3138@utah-cs.UUCP>, Steve Davidson writes:

> ... "weed out" courses designed to make
> computer science as unpleasant as possible.  This ensures that only the
> fittest students will survive, the rest being exiled to other majors or
> other schools.  There is only one disturbing fact:  The fittest students
> aren't neccessarily the best programmers.
>
>   Computer science departments around the country are systematically screening
> out the hackers.  The department I belong has very few undergraduate hacker
> types.  They are being replaced by normal looking, normal acting people who
> only want to make money.  They do their assignments on time, and seldom write
> anything that they aren't either getting credit for, or being paid for.  It's
> sickening.

I'm an undergraduate at UC San Diego, and I have seen this exile here also.
The "fittest students" are the ones with the best grades, not the ones that
are the best programmers.  In fact, there is not really a class in how to
be a good programmer.  Sure, we have a data structures course.  So what?  When
I took it, anyone that got the correct output on a prgram got full credit.
It didn't matter if you did extra work handling special cases or did
the bare minimum to get by.  It didn't matter what your programs looked
like.  I'm afraid this is the problem at a fair number of schools.

We don't have it as bad as some schools.  All students (undergrads and grads)
can get computer 'literacy' accounts on Unix or VMS.  These are limited
accounts, but are enough to get some real work done (no hacking, though).
We have full access to UUCP and USENET also.  Our computer center has 8 vaxen,
3 running Unix, and two Pyramids.

I don't think CS departments are purposely screening out hackers.  I think
it's just happening due to convenience.  And resource scarcity.  And there's
very little we can do about it.
--
 From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin           sdcsvax!allyn@Nosc
                          UCSD Pascal Project     {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

"Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (12/10/84)

>  Where have the hackers gone?  They must have gone somewhere.  Does
>anyone know of a computer science department somewhere that has decent
>facilities but still allows undergraduates the oppertunity to work on
>their own projects.  Is there anyplace out there that gives
>undergraduates access to uucp.
>   I know that that is a lot to ask of a department, but the must
>be someplace, deep in the backwaters of computer sciencedom, laid back
>enough to give undergraduates the opportunity to really learn how to
>program.

I don't really think this 'article' is serious, but I'm responding
anyway.

I agree that too many schools are limiting computer access and enrollment
and that many budding computer scientists do just their work and not
anything creative, however I do not agree that hackers make the best
programmers.

1) many hacker-types I met in school were more interested in working on
their own projects and didn't always do the work they were supposed
to. This is not a person I would want to work for me.

2) their programs were often extremely clever, making use of lots
of unkown/unused features/bugs of various machines - often unportable
between different sites with the same series machine.

3) they tend to spend most of their time in the computer center and
often neglect other classwork they find dull and uninteresting.
I still feel that an engineer should know more than just his/her
specialty in order to be more flexible.

4) how much future is there in hacking/programming? If all you want
to do is spend >8 hrs/day programming for the rest of your life fine,
I would get bored after a few years of that.

I do want to point out that I am not anti-hacker. I spent most of
my college career in the computer center. Since I worked in the
Comp Center, I was one of the few people who had unlimited computer
resources and access and I took full advantage of that.
( not only that, but as cliche as it may sound: some of my best
friends are hackers. )

				Jon A.

PS.
For those of us with true understanding, hacking is the only pure
art form.
--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

susie@uwmacc.UUCP (sue brunkow) (12/12/84)

In article <521@sdcsvax.UUCP> allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) writes:

>I'm an undergraduate at UC San Diego, and I have seen this exile here also.
>The "fittest students" are the ones with the best grades, not the ones that
>are the best programmers.  In fact, there is not really a class in how to

Isn't this the same as what has been going on all along in
Medical School admissions?
The people who have the best grades get in, but they don't necessarily
make the best doctors. I've know several people who really liked
people and enjoyed working with them, but couldn't get the grades to
get into Med school. I've also known people whose only interest in
life was themself, and some of them did get in. If you've had doctors
who treat you like an illness, not a person, maybe there's a reason
for this.

 I'm not saying that anyone who wants to be a doctor should be able to,
a lot of intelligence is obviously necessary. But  grades aren't
always a good indication of anything but the ability to get grades.

                                                  Sue Brunkow
                                               Univ. of Wisconsin

                             {seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!uwvax!uwmacc!susie

derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) (12/12/84)

>... however I do not agree that hackers make the best programmers.
>
> 1) many hacker-types I met in school were more interested in working on
> their own projects and didn't always do the work they were supposed
> to. This is not a person I would want to work for me.
>
> 3) they tend to spend most of their time in the computer center and
> often neglect other classwork they find dull and uninteresting.
> I still feel that an engineer should know more than just his/her
> specialty in order to be more flexible.
>

> I do want to point out that I am not anti-hacker. I spent most of
> my college career in the computer center.
>
> For those of us with true understanding, hacking is the only pure
> art form.

Well fine -- you wouldn't hire yourself.

The way I think of it:  hackers (not meaning the 15-year old TRW crackers
that infuriate me whenever I hear about them) do tend to do many of the
things that you say.  However, I find the hackers I hang around with to
be a remarkably eclectic group who just happen to share a passion for
computers.

While it is true that they are often unruly and unorthodox in their programming,
that stems from their brilliance (sometimes) and their mastery of their
machines.  For grunge-work programming, no, I would not hire a 'hacker'
either, which is porbably good since they don't want that kind of work.
I would hire yesterday's 'hackers' as today's innovators.

derek

--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek

shebs@utah-cs.UUCP (Stanley Shebs) (12/13/84)

I agree with jona@clyde, most hackers are not good programmers.
I've had several jobs in which an inordinate amount of time
was spent cleaning up after some hacker's mess.

Universities don't need to cater to hackers' "needs" anyway.
There are plenty of machines (including PCs) out in the world,
and you don't need a degree to hack - you just do it.
You'll probably have to form your own company though; most
middle- to large-size companies are beginning to realize that
hackers cost more than they're worth, over the long run...

						stan shebs
						(shebs@utah-orion)

jona@clyde.UUCP (Jon Allingham) (12/14/84)

> While it is true that they are often unruly and unorthodox in their
> programming, that stems from their brilliance (sometimes) and their
> mastery of their machines.
> For grunge-work programming, no, I would not hire a 'hacker'
> either, which is porbably good since they don't want that kind of work.
> I would hire yesterday's 'hackers' as today's innovators.

I dispute the word 'brilliance' even if it carries a disclaimer ('sometimes').

Have you ever tried to maintain or understand some of these 'innovative'
programs?
--
Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH

"Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

konkin@sask.UUCP (Doug Konkin ) (12/15/84)

[]

I don't want to stir up the ashes, but bemoaning the departure of
hackers from the Computer Science departments of the continent, and
their subsequent replacement with all manner of money-grubbing clones
in trendy clothes (likely Commerce Cmpt majors) is a load. There are
still lots of hackers around, even if access to the guts of department
computers is becoming more restricted. I think that if the author of
the posting checked carefully, he would find that the people that he
calls hackers are disappearing not so much because they are being
bested by the aforementioned mercenaries, but rather because they can't
hack the theory necessary to be a computer scientist. Technical schools
turn out programmers -- we university types are supposedly capable of
much more.

Doug Konkin
Dept of Computational Science
U of Saskatchewan
ihnp4!sask!konkin

derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) (12/15/84)

> Have you ever tried to maintain or understand some of these 'innovative'
> programs?
> --

Yes, I have.  And in general I find:

1) Hacked code written by high-schoolers and others without formal training
   is difficult and unreadable.

2) Given formal (university) training, the code produced by the hackers I
   have known is quite readable.

In fact, the most unreadable code I know is the system source for unix.  Of
course, how much of a "hack" is 4.2BSD?  A question perhaps up for debate....

P. S.  (Just a guess) It seems likely that the 4.2 kernel was originally
written with meaningful variable names, and then these were substituted
for the short meaningless ones we see in order to save on disk space.  If
this is true, does anyone know of kernel source still retaining the
easier-to-read variables?  I would be willing to sacrifice some disk space
for a kernel that was easier to read.

derek

--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek
derek@wisc-rsch.arpa

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (12/17/84)

[]

I don't think the hackers are annoyed or worried that there seem to be
fewer and fewer of them nowdays. Hackers enjoy being an elite group. They
also enjoy challenges. The harder the administration tries to shut them
down the more they will enjoy it. Don't expect them to become extinct.
Expect them to become invisible.

Sean Casey

"Captain, ya can't mix matter and antimatter cold!!!"

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (12/17/84)

In article <145@sask.UUCP> konkin@sask.UUCP (Doug Konkin ) writes:

>There are
>still lots of hackers around, even if access to the guts of department
>computers is becoming more restricted. I think that if the author of
>the posting checked carefully, he would find that the people that he
>calls hackers are disappearing not so much because they are being
>bested by the aforementioned mercenaries, but rather because they can't
>hack the theory necessary to be a computer scientist. Technical schools
>turn out programmers -- we university types are supposedly capable of
>much more.

When I was an undergrad, many of the "hackers" I knew were certainly capable
of handling theory.  Several were scholarship students, some obtained
pure mathematics (not the easier computer science) degrees, some have
masters' degrees now.  These people have written a Lisp interpreter,
an operating system (Coherent), an Ada compiler, helped build DECtalk,
and other less-well-known projects.  They are certainly more capable
than most of the people walking around with "computer science" degrees.

I am worried about the future of hacking because I am worried that people
of this quality no longer seem to have an environment available where they
can work on their own projects, at least at Waterloo.

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (12/19/84)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

> The people who have the best grades get in, but they don't necessarily
> make the best doctors. I've know several people who really liked
> people and enjoyed working with them, but couldn't get the grades to
> get into Med school. I've also known people whose only interest in
> life was themself, and some of them did get in. If you've had doctors
> who treat you like an illness, not a person, maybe there's a reason
> for this.

I frankly wouldn't trust *any* of the premeds I've met as doctors, and I'm
starting to wonder about the people who are already doctors, since they
were once premeds, too.

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

   "Computers are like preppies: they just boil around in their own way
	and you have to do things their way or they blow you off."

	"Everything that was different was a different thing..."

ee161aok@sdcc13.UUCP ({|stu) (12/27/84)

>>I'm an undergraduate at UC San Diego, and I have seen this exile here also.
>>The "fittest students" are the ones with the best grades, not the ones that
>>are the best programmers.  In fact, there is not really a class in how to

As an employer, the first thing I would avoid is hackers.  People who
have a fascination with computers tend not to accomplish as much as
those who treat the machine as a device to accomplish an end.

	The student who gets good grades has two important qualities:
		1) at least a fair understanding of the material
		       presented to him/her in class.
		2) the demonstrated ability to satisfy requirements and
		       demands that are placed on him/her.

	A good student can be taught, while a hacker has to be
negotiated with. Give me a student over a hacker anyday.

		steve ackroyd

brian@sdcc3.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (12/27/84)

> >>I'm an undergraduate at UC San Diego, and I have seen this exile here also.
> >>The "fittest students" are the ones with the best grades, not the ones that
> >>are the best programmers.
>
> As an employer, the first thing I would avoid is hackers.
> A good student can be taught, while a hacker has to be
> negotiated with. Give me a student over a hacker anyday.

I've been in a position of hiring recent graduates for programming jobs,
and in general I found that neither the ``ultimate hacker'' nor the
``top student'' made the best programmer/analyst.  Why not?

The hackers just didn't have long enough attention spans, and didn't
seem to want to spend enough time to get the problem clearly defined -
the jumped into the solution without a clear feeling for what the real
problem was.  Most commonly, they solved what the customer had SAID
the problem was, rather than what it really was.  (You experienced
people know that the customer is rarely right in defining his problem.)
So their solution was a good one, but for the wrong problem.

The top students had two major problems:  too many of them wanted to
make it big, moving into management instead of programming.  Seems they
had their eye on the president's office rather than their terminal.  In
a team, they tended to try to run things, rather than get things done.
The other problem that many of the top students had was a severe lack of
imagination.  They had a lot of trouble applying book learning to real
problems.  It seemed as though they had just never had to worry about
making a program conform to the real world.  I noticed this especially
when they had to work for me on a machine that had a bizzare programming
language (sort of a cross between Basic and PL/I).  Many never were able
to adapt to the techniques that machine required (A Microdata REALITY,
in case you were curious).

Who, then, made the best for our purposes?  Our most successful
programmers were people who had done something else for a living.  One
managed a nationwide chain of Karate Parlors before going back to
school and learning programming, another had trained as a physicist, one
an air force pilot until he lost a hand in VietNam.  What made these
people different from the others is not that they were older or more
experienced - because some were and some weren't.  What made them
different is that they had come to view the computer as A TOOL USED TO
SOLVE REAL PROBLEMS.  They understood that it was the real-world problem
that had to be solved, not a nifty algorithm, nor a textbook exercise.

But how do you teach people this?  Since very few professors of computer
science do anything real-world with their skills, they really can't pass
on true-life experience to their students.  Industry professionals
could, but it seems that many problems might require too much detailed
background knowledge to serve well as examples.  Also, people in
industry rarely have time to spare.

I feel that a good curriculum in computer science should include some
sort of class in problem solving - something that teaches people to look
for the REAL problem, and solve it.  Yes, it will weed out a bunch of
people; and yes, it will be hard to teach.  But if we truely intend a
computer science education to fit its graduates to do more than sit in a
college or university office and dream about theories, we have to equip
the students in it with skills and techniques that will enable them to
shape their skills to suit the needs of their employment.  Be clear that
this is NOT rote knowledge - it is a learning skill.  Being the best
buggy-whip programmer in the world isn't worth a tinker's dam when its
time to build spaceships, if that is all you know how to do.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way...

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (01/01/85)

> > While it is true that they are often unruly and unorthodox in their
> > programming, that stems from their brilliance (sometimes) and their
> > mastery of their machines.
> > For grunge-work programming, no, I would not hire a 'hacker'
> > either, which is porbably good since they don't want that kind of work.
> > I would hire yesterday's 'hackers' as today's innovators.
>
> I dispute the word 'brilliance' even if it carries a disclaimer ('sometimes').
>
> Have you ever tried to maintain or understand some of these 'innovative'
> programs?
> --
> Jon M. Allingham	(201)386-3466	AT&T Bell Laboratories-WH
>
> "Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"

As an alumna of Columbia's Hackers' Club, I have a few things to comment on:

1. Everyone who was in the Hackers' Club -- no exceptions -- has done well in
the computing field.

2. Sometimes what one is assigned to do for homework has less relevance than
what one does on one's own.  We had one hacker who was more interested in
writing a version of PACMAN than writing payroll programs.  When he graduated
he was hired by a well-known manufacturer of computer games.  As far as I
know, he has YET to be asked to write a payroll program.

3. Why school, you may ask?  School polishes up a hacker's skills.  Hacking
alone does not teach structured programming.  Even the student who would
rather do stuff on their own quickly sees the benefits of some of the tech-
niques taught in classes and in their textbooks.  A hacker needs good ways
to express their programming ideas.

4. With regards to maintainability, I've seen clearly-written code done by
many hackers.  I've also seen "happy" code (as in "Why should I comment this?
It's clear to ME, so it doesn't need any!") and spaghetti code (GOTOs everywhere
humanely possible -- and THEN some) written by people who got good grades.

Perhaps the answer to the problem lies in self-paced learning and in allowing
students to make choices as to what kinds of projects interest them (and teach
the skills the assignments are intended to teach).

--Lynn Gold
Tymnet, Inc.