[net.college] Quote of the Day

corwin@ut-ngp.UUCP (Corwin, Lord of Amber) (01/24/85)

.

Just thought you folks a Brown U. might like to know the official word from
the staff here at the University of Texas at Austin on the cyanide pill vote.

It seems a student senator has introduced a similar bill here at UT and, as
published in the student newspaper (The Daily Texan) on Wednesday, Jan. 23,
the opinion of the UT chief of Pharmacy Services, Bill Wylie is:

"This is a silly thing started at Brown University by a bunch of eggheads
who can't even tie their shoes and who don't know about working to survive
to make a living."

Anyone care to comment on the ability of Brown U. students to tie their
shoes? :-)

--

                                      -Off into Shadow
                                       Corwin, Lord of Amber

                                    ...!ihnp4!ut-ngp!corwin

  "Well you're DEAD now, so SHUT UP!!!"

jca@abnji.UUCP (james armstrong) (01/25/85)

>Just thought you folks a Brown U. might like to know the official word from
>the staff here at the University of Texas at Austin on the cyanide pill vote.
>
>It seems a student senator has introduced a similar bill here at UT and, as
>published in the student newspaper (The Daily Texan) on Wednesday, Jan. 23,
>the opinion of the UT chief of Pharmacy Services, Bill Wylie is:
>
>"This is a silly thing started at Brown University by a bunch of eggheads
>who can't even tie their shoes and who don't know about working to survive
>to make a living."
>
>Anyone care to comment on the ability of Brown U. students to tie their
>shoes? :-)

I don't know of the ability of Brown students at tieing their shoes :-),
however Bill Wylie's comment sounds like the old "I don't want to talk about
a problem, so if I ignore it maybe it will go away" response.

I applaud the Brown students who put forward that resolution, not for the
content of the resolution itself, but for the intent: to increase debate.

JCA

del@wuphys.UUCP (Dave de Lake) (01/27/85)

> "This is a silly thing started at Brown University by a bunch of eggheads
> who can't even tie their shoes and who don't know about working to survive
> to make a living."
>
> Anyone care to comment on the ability of Brown U. students to tie their
> shoes? :-)

I can't say much about Brown students, but the
referendum was recently introduced at Washington
University in St. Louis, a similar rich kid domain
with mostly ivy league rejects, and voted down by the
students.

The eggheads who copied the idea here may be the ONLY ones
on campus who know about working to survive, the only
ones capable of intelligent thought,  and the
only ones who don't hire servants to tie thier shoes...

		Dave
		@Compton Sanitarium
		...!ihnp4!wuphys!del

act@pur-phy.UUCP (Alex C. Tselis) (01/28/85)

In article <1243@ut-ngp.UUCP> corwin@ut-ngp.UUCP (Corwin, Lord of Amber) writes:

>the opinion of the UT chief of Pharmacy Services, Bill Wylie is:
>
>"This is a silly thing started at Brown University by a bunch of eggheads
>who can't even tie their shoes and who don't know about working to survive
>to make a living."
>
>Anyone care to comment on the ability of Brown U. students to tie their
>shoes? :-)

	I went to Brown.  I can tie my shoelaces if I have to, but
	I prefer wearing loafers!

	Incidentally, not everyone who goes (or has gone) to Brown is
	filthy rich.  My father was a cab-driver.

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (01/29/85)

[Lace this line with HCN]

> Anyone care to comment on the ability of Brown U. students to tie their
> shoes? :-)
I'm a Brown alumnus, and I can't tie my shoes.  I wear Birkenstocks, which
use buckles.  Apparently, the pharmacist is correct.  At least, he's probably
willing to use me as proof.
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
Support Bulgarian gajda players.