[net.college] party school and academics

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (11/16/85)

> is the reason why Hopkins is not labelled a "Party School."  Granted, it
> shouldn't be, in light of its excellent academics.  But it does make social
> life a challenge!
> Anyone else have any opinions, either here or out on the net?
>
> 				    Steve Cooper:
> ...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!ins_asac@jhunix

Yes indeedy, do I have another opinion!  A school should not be
labelled a "Party School" because it has excellent academics?!?!
Wait just a minute here, just because a school is prone to parties
does not mean that it not have "excellent academics".  For example,
take a look at Virginia (The University, not the "other" one in
Blacksburg!), it has a fine reputation for both, party hard, study hard.
Granted The University is not The Best in all academic areas, that is,
I am sure Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. will say they are better, and
they are probably right (let's be honest, right?), but then UVa does
not claim to be the best(and I hope that you aren't saying that JHU
is, or expect flames -->!!), just merely .... what's the right word ...
of "excellent academics".  For proof, see Time, Newsweek, etc.  surveys
for excellent schools that came out last summer.  Now for proof of
partying hard, see Playboy's poll of .... 1979 (?) not quite sure
of the exact date... party schools.

In the spirit of Virginia Gentlemen ....

Sunny Lee
jsl@ciprnet.princeton

abc@brl-sem.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (11/17/85)

In article <1158@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:

>... "excellent academics".  For proof, see Time, Newsweek, etc.  surveys
>for excellent schools that came out last summer.

>Sunny Lee
>jsl@ciprnet.princeton

So Time and Newsweek are final arbiters of excellence in
higher education?

--
Brint Cooper

	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl-tgr!abc

ins_asac@jhunix.UUCP (Stephan Alexa Cooper) (11/17/85)

In article <1158@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>> is the reason why Hopkins is not labelled a "Party School."  Granted, it
>> shouldn't be, in light of its excellent academics.  But it does make social
>> life a challenge!
>> Anyone else have any opinions, either here or out on the net?
>
>Yes indeedy, do I have another opinion!  A school should not be
>labelled a "Party School" because it has excellent academics?!?!
>Wait just a minute here, just because a school is prone to parties
>does not mean that it not have "excellent academics".  For example,
>take a look at Virginia (The University, not the "other" one in
>Blacksburg!), it has a fine reputation for both, party hard, study hard.

Whoops!  Sorry, I in no way meant to imply that a school can not be
both good in academics and in partying.  I just meant that in this
specific case (at JHU), both do not exist.  Sorry to lead you otherwise.

>Granted The University is not The Best in all academic areas, that is,
>I am sure Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. will say they are better, and
>they are probably right (let's be honest, right?), but then UVa does
>not claim to be the best(and I hope that you aren't saying that JHU
>is, or expect flames -->!!),

No, I don't claim that Hopkins is the best.  Actually, I haven't seen
much to impress me yet.  But I expect as I persue towards my major things
will get increasingly more difficult.
Also, no I don't expect or want flames.  Anything that is worthwhile enough
to be said can be said politely under the name of discussion.  If it can't,
it's a flame, and not worth saying (or for that matter, posting).

Sorry for possible implications that weren't meant.
--

             Steve Cooper
 Johns Hopkins University

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (11/18/85)

> So Time and Newsweek are final arbiters of excellence in
> higher education?
>

> --
> Brint Cooper
>
> 	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
> 	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl-tgr!abc

unofficially, sounds ok to me, considering the schools that they had
listed; pretty good company...

jsl@ciprnet.princeton
		with another opinion ....

vch@rruxo.UUCP (Kerro Panille) (11/19/85)

>> So Time and Newsweek are final arbiters of excellence in
>> higher education?
>
>unofficially, sounds ok to me, considering the schools that they had
>listed; pretty good company...
>
>jsl@ciprnet.princeton
		  ^^^^^^^^^
You're just saying that because they mentioned your school... ;-}

--
Vince Hatem          	               ----------------		           A
Bell Communications Research           | UZI          |----------|_ _ _\/  T

   TRUE GRIT MYSTERIES - The detective series for those who NEVER eat quiche!
         (WARNING - MAY BE EMOTIONALLY DISTURBING TO HAMSTER LOVERS)

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (11/20/85)

> >> So Time and Newsweek are final arbiters of excellence in
> >> higher education?
> >
> >unofficially, sounds ok to me, considering the schools that they had
> >listed; pretty good company...
> >
> >jsl@ciprnet.princeton
> 		  ^^^^^^^^^
> You're just saying that because they mentioned your school... ;-}
>
> --
> Vince Hatem          	               ----------------		           A
> Bell Communications Research           | UZI          |----------|_ _ _\/  T
> Raritan River Software Systems Center  |              |----------|     /\  &
> 444 Hoes Lane                          ----------------  ROGER GUTS 	   T
> 4D-360                                   /     /\  DON'T NEED NO STINKIN'
> Piscataway, NJ 08854                    /     /           NECKTIES
> (201) 699-4869                         /-----/
> ...ihnp4!rruxo!vch

huh?  the school of interest is the University of Virginia.

jsl@princeton

Post Script:  Don't let your name dictate your actions (Mr. Hatem ?!)
		a weak and modest :--), but hey, what the ....!

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (11/21/85)

In article <534@brl-sem.ARPA> abc@brl-sem.UUCP (Brint Cooper) writes:
>>... "excellent academics".  For proof, see Time, Newsweek, etc.  surveys
>>for excellent schools that came out last summer.
>
>So Time and Newsweek are final arbiters of excellence in
>higher education?

No, U. S. News and World Report is - see this week's issue!  :-)

AWR