[net.college] Purdue housing info requested

jla@inuxd.UUCP (Joyce Andrews) (11/07/85)

Sorry to post this to the entire net, but there is no Purdue
local.

My daughter, a senior in high school, has chosen Purdue to pursue
a degree in consumer science (fashion marketing, actually).  She
will be asked to declare preferred housing soon, and we don't
know one dorm from another.

Purdue students, what do you recommend?  She knows she has to
study, although she'd probably like to party all the time.  I'm
not paying for a four-year party, however, so she has to keep her
grades up to keep the bucks flowing.  What dorms are a good mix
of party/study?  She also hates creepy crawlies.  What dorms are
the cleanest?  Where would you want to live if you were her (keep
in mind you are posting this to her MOTHER).

                   Thanks

                        Joyce Andrews
                        AT&T Indianapolis
                        ihnp4!inuxd!jla

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (11/11/85)

/***** wdl1:net.college / inuxd!jla /  5:45 am  Nov  7, 1985*/
]My daughter, a senior in high school, has chosen Purdue to pursue
]a degree in consumer science (fashion marketing, actually).  She
]will be asked to declare preferred housing soon, and we don't
]know one dorm from another.

]Purdue students, what do you recommend?  She knows she has to
]study, although she'd probably like to party all the time.  I'm
]not paying for a four-year party, however, so she has to keep her
]grades up to keep the bucks flowing.  What dorms are a good mix
]of party/study?  She also hates creepy crawlies.  What dorms are
]the cleanest?  Where would you want to live if you were her (keep
]in mind you are posting this to her MOTHER).

If you are looking for an all woman dorm try Earhart.  The ones to avoid
are the older ones such as Duhme, and rest of that complex.  The are the
part of the original buildings (or at least close).  If she is looking
for a co-ed dorm try one of the H-halls (try Harrison).  These are
clean, and contained very friendly people, at least when I lived there they
did.  The co-ed part is nothing to worry about, its guys on one half of the
building and gals on the other, with escorts required at ALL times.

Another nice thing Purdue provide, although it sounds horrible to most
people at first, are the suites.  Theses consist of 10 people in 4 rooms.
(If they still have them, there was talk of doing away with them.)
This allows you to meet 9 other people right away and allows you to
have at least someone to eat with when the schedules conflict.

When I was at Purdue I lived in Harrison, and enjoyed both years, before
I moved out to live in the fraternity house.  All in all, most of the
dorms are ok.  Just remember, your daughter is not at home any more,
and no matter where she lives, she will always be able to find a party
somewhere within walking distance.

Hope this helps.

			Sam Kimery
			kimery@ford-wdl1
			or
			fortune!wdl1!kimery

mce@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Mark McEntee%CGL) (11/13/85)

In article <848@wdl1.UUCP> kimery@wdl1.UUCP writes:
>...for a co-ed dorm try one of the H-halls (try Harrison).  These are
>clean, and contained very friendly people, at least when I lived there they
>did.  The co-ed part is nothing to worry about, its guys on one half of the
>building and gals on the other, with escorts required at ALL times.

I never imagined any normal school was that bad ... expect it of
out-of-the-way schools promising the best in old-time morality for your kids.
And to think I was interested in Purdue.

At MIT there were ~10 dorms, one each for all-male and all-female.  The first
dorm I stayed in was co-ed but separated by floors [that changed a year ago].
The others were mixed by floors/suites.  In the less traditional dorms, there
were co-ed rooms ... it was really no big deal.  Shared bathrooms, everything.
Escorts required at ALL times?  Sorry, smacks of grammar school ... college
kids are supposed to be adults .... at least as adult as the adults are.

burk@uwvax.UUCP (Bill Burk) (11/13/85)

> /***** wdl1:net.college / inuxd!jla /  5:45 am  Nov  7, 1985*/
> ]My daughter, a senior in high school, has chosen Purdue to pursue
> ]a degree in consumer science (fashion marketing, actually).  She
> ]will be asked to declare preferred housing soon, and we don't
> ]know one dorm from another.
>

> If you are looking for an all woman dorm try Earhart.

A girlfriend of mine lived in Earhart for 3 years .... She seemed to
enjoy the atmosphere quite a bit.

Bill Burk
Computer Systems Lab
Universty Of Wisconsin

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (11/15/85)

In article <701@ucsfcgl.UUCP>, mce@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Mark McEntee%CGL) writes:
> In article <848@wdl1.UUCP> kimery@wdl1.UUCP writes:
> >...for a co-ed dorm try one of the H-halls (try Harrison).  These are
> >clean, and contained very friendly people, at least when I lived there they
> >did.  The co-ed part is nothing to worry about, its guys on one half of the
> >building and gals on the other, with escorts required at ALL times.
>
> I never imagined any normal school was that bad ... expect it of
> out-of-the-way schools promising the best in old-time morality for your kids.
> And to think I was interested in Purdue.
>
> At MIT there were ~10 dorms, one each for all-male and all-female.  The first
> dorm I stayed in was co-ed but separated by floors [that changed a year ago].
> The others were mixed by floors/suites.  In the less traditional dorms, there
> were co-ed rooms ... it was really no big deal.  Shared bathrooms, everything

Yes, I had the same feeling when reading the article about Purdue.
But remember, 10 years ago co-ed dorms were a NEW THING.  Now, they're
taken for granted.  MIT still has the same kind of dorm system, with
one, large, all-girls dorm, and one, large, all-make dorm.  They are
both places I would never want to live.  (I lived in the all-male dorm
for 1 year and hated it)

I find that all-male dorms tend to promote massive drinking,
rowdyness, and harrassment of less than macho residents.

All female dorms, in certain schools, promote clustering, shyness on
the part of women, and fear of the outside world.

My dorm is co-ed, women and men living in rooms right next door to
each other.  This is how life will be when you get out of college --
let's face it, single sex dorms promote immaturity.

I would never, ever, again live in a single sex dorm.

			Andy

|  Andrew S. Gerber    MIT '87    Systems Manager,  Visible Language Workshop |
|  gerber@mit-athena.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-mc.MIT.EDU   |
|  {decvax, mit-eddie}!mit-amt!gerber   {decvax, mit-eddie}!mit-athena!gerber |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Well we know where we're goin'        |   And we're not little children     |
| But we don't know where we've been.   |   And we know what we want.	      |
| And we know what we're knowing        |   And the future is certain	      |
| But we can't say what we've seen.     |   Give us time to work it out.      |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|   "Road to Nowhere", Talking Heads, from the album "Little Creatures"       |
|		Copyright 1985, Talking Heads, EMI Records		      |

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (11/16/85)

> I find that all-male dorms tend to promote massive drinking,
> rowdyness, and harrassment of less than macho residents.

ohhhh, I don't know about that.  I lived in a coed dorm --
alternating male and female floors.  I think the closer availability
of the desireable sex promoted more social events....that is, we
didn't have to trek "over to see the girls".  They were just a flight
up the stairs.  And about the massive drinking, boy-o-boy some of
the women (that's right women, they know how to take care of themselves)
know how to drink.  The only situation that I can imagine with less
partying was/is on fraternity row... and you can't beat that.  Of
course, the sensible thing to do was take a girl out in order to
get away from too much of this, but this was a great way to meat women;
But then again, I didn't start serious dating until my third year
anyway, but it still was a great way to meet friends of both sexes.
Actually, its really good because you get to know very well the
idiosyncrasies (sp?) of the varios females, before you start dating
them.  That is, you find out who are phonies and who are the
genuine .... whatevers.  Enough said.

jsl@ciprnet.princeton

Post script:  The school that I describe above is not Princeton.

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (11/16/85)

> I find that all-male dorms tend to promote massive drinking,
> rowdyness, and harrassment of less than macho residents.

ohhhh, I don't know about that; I am not disagreeing with you on your
views, but pointing out that coed dorms promote the above also.
I lived in a coed dorm -- alternating male and female floors.  I
think the closer availability of the desireable sex promoted more
social events....that is, we didn't have to trek "over to see the
girls".  They were just a flight up the stairs to party with you.
And about the massive drinking, boy-o-boy some of
the women (that's right women, they know how to take care of themselves)
know how to drink.  The only situation that I can imagine with more
partying was/is on fraternity row... and you can't beat that.  Of
course, the sensible thing to do was take a girl out in order to
get away from too much of this, but this was a great way to meet women,
be rowdy (with them and without), and have fun in general.
It was a great way to meet friends of both sexes,
however transient or lasting the relationship may be.
(One thing for sure, coed dorms allow you get to know very well the
idiosyncrasies (sp?) of the various females, before you start dating
them.  That is, you find out who are phonies and who are the
genuine .... whatevers.
But then again, I didn't start serious dating until my third
year (no snickers please, I was a typically shy, non-jock type) and
none of my girl-friends were from my dorm.  Enough about my past, and
I am straying from the topic.)

jsl@ciprnet.princeton

Post script:  The school that I describe above is not Princeton.

marek@iuvax.UUCP (11/17/85)

Send the woman to study/dorm at Indiana University, Bloomington.  What did
she allegedly do to deserve the exile to Moo U. in the corn(y)fields up
north???

			-- Marek Lugowski
			   IU CS
			   dorm resident

srp@houligan.UUCP (S R Pietrowicz) (11/24/85)

>>Send the woman to study/dorm at Indiana University, Bloomington.  What did
>>she allegedly do to deserve the exile to Moo U. in the corn(y)fields up
>>north???
>>			-- Marek Lugowski
>>			   IU CS
>>			   dorm resident

She wants an education.

lied@ihlts.UUCP (Bob Lied) (11/24/85)

> ...The co-ed part is nothing to worry about, it's guys on one half of the
> building and gals on the other, with escorts required at ALL times.

Gee, I'd say that IS something to worry about :-)

	Bob Lied	ihnp4!ihlts!lied