[net.college] "Party" Schools?

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (11/21/85)

In article <1158@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>Wait just a minute here, just because a school is prone to parties
>does not mean that it not have "excellent academics".

Let's not forget the flip side of the coin. I don't think I've ever
heard of MIT (nerd heaven) referred to as a "Party" school. Most of us
have been know to go weeks at a time without partying (except in the
frats where social norms are more important tha personal expression
[flame intended]).

The difference seems to be that while MIT students don't party as often,
they get more out of it when they do. At what other schools would you
expect a party like the VBTB? At this once-every-three-years event, a
room is bathed in ultra-violet lights and the party goes are given beer,
twinkies and all the vaseline they can smear on their friends (or soon-
to-be friends ;-). At many college parties, groups of students will
sneak off to smoke dope -- how many schools fill their bongs with liquid
nitrogen stolen from VLSI labs? Recently I attended a party whose
location was a little odd -- on top of the Great Dome. In order to get
their, the planners had to disable an extensive alarm system, picks
several large padlocks, re-wire the elevator control and scale and 18
foot wall eight stories off the ground.

Now, I've heard stories about great parties at other schools where "the
beer kegs lasted all weekend", but when they happen almost every night,
I imagine they get a little dull. MIT students don't party very often,
but when they do, their very industrious about it. They don't take to
being called "a bunch of anti-social nerds."

Probably the best mention of an MIT party was in Lisa Birnbach's
"College Handbook" which said that Senior House's Steer Roast party is
the best college party in the area (which it is).

We certainly don't have a monopoly of engineer-party-types here, I'm
curious to hear what "interesting" events occur at other colleges.

--
-Charles

lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) (11/26/85)

> We certainly don't have a monopoly of engineer-party-types here, I'm
> curious to hear what "interesting" events occur at other colleges.

Hmmm... well there are Jello parties where all the alcohol is available
only by eating specially prepared Jello.  One is usually requested to bring
their own spoon...

also, there are mattress parties where one covers the floor (wall to wall)
with old mattresses.  People take off their shoes, get drunk, and bounce
around...

--
TCP/IP:		lee@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz, harvard}!rochester!lee

ee178acg@sdcc7.UUCP (Bud Weiser) (12/03/85)

In article <13502@rochester.UUCP>, lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) writes:
> > We certainly don't have a monopoly of engineer-party-types here, I'm
> > curious to hear what "interesting" events occur at other colleges.
>
> Hmmm... well there are Jello parties where all the alcohol is available
> only by eating specially prepared Jello.  One is usually requested to bring
> their own spoon...
>
> also, there are mattress parties where one covers the floor (wall to wall)
> with old mattresses.  People take off their shoes, get drunk, and bounce
> around...
>
> --
> TCP/IP:		lee@rochester.arpa
> UUCP:		{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz, harvard}!rochester!lee
> XNS:		Lee Moore:CS:Univ Rochester
> Phone:		+1 (716) 275-7747, -5671
> Physical:	43 01' 40'' N, 77 37' 49'' W

Here at UC San Diego, my roommates and I have had some pretty wild
parties.  We also had a mattress party, but we covered the walls and
floor with mattresses.
We had a beach party where we filled our apartment with 8
inches of sand.  See if you can top that!!

israel@umcp-cs.UUCP (Bruce Israel) (12/05/85)

In article <198@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178acg@sdcc7.UUCP (Bud Weiser) writes:
>We had a beach party where we filled our apartment with 8
>inches of sand.  See if you can top that!!

Well, if I were going to top 8 inches of sand, I'd probably want to
do it with bikini-clad sunbathers.  :-)

--

Bruce Israel

University of Maryland, Computer Science Dept.
{rlgvax,seismo}!umcp-cs!israel (Usenet)    israel@Maryland (Arpanet)

xxo8603@ritcv.UUCP (Patrick O'Shaughnessy) (12/06/85)

Keywords:bikini-clad sunbathers, lack of

In article <2415@umcp-cs.UUCP> israel@maryland.UUCP (Bruce israel) writes:
>In article <198@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178acg@sdcc7.UUCP (Bud Weiser) writes:
>>We had a beach party where we filled our apartment with 8
>>inches of sand.  See if you can top that!!
>
>Well, if I were going to top 8 inches of sand, I'd probably want to
>do it with bikini-clad sunbathers.  :-)

Hey guys- Why are there no bikini-clad sunbathers at Technology
schools?   As a matter of fact, why are there so few women here???
We can't be that bad, can we??

gap6029@ritcv.UUCP (12/07/85)

> In article <2415@umcp-cs.UUCP> israel@maryland.UUCP (Bruce israel) writes:
> >In article <198@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178acg@sdcc7.UUCP (Bud Weiser) writes:
> >>We had a beach party where we filled our apartment with 8
> >>inches of sand.  See if you can top that!!
> >
> >Well, if I were going to top 8 inches of sand, I'd probably want to
> >do it with bikini-clad sunbathers.  :-)
>
> Hey guys- Why are there no bikini-clad sunbathers at Technology
> schools?   As a matter of fact, why are there so few women here???
> We can't be that bad, can we??

just ask him from which Tech school he's from (probably MIT)

scott@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Holt) (12/07/85)

In article <9126@ritcv.UUCP>, xxo8603@ritcv.UUCP (Patrick O'Shaughnessy) writes:

> Hey guys- Why are there no bikini-clad sunbathers at Technology
> schools?   As a matter of fact, why are there so few women here???
> We can't be that bad, can we??

 No bikini-clad sunbathers!? You should come down here sometime during
spring quarter. The courtyard between Towers( male ) and Glenn (female )
dormitories is filled with bikini clad sunbathers...granted, they are
studying ( constantly ), but their still bikini clad.
 You do have a point though, there are still more guys watching than there
are bikini clad sunbathers...but give it time, female enrollment at schools
like ours is getting better.
                      - Scott

--
---------
I'll stop procrastinating tomorow.

Scott Holt
Georgia Tech Po Box 36199
Atlanta, GA 30332

USENET: scott@gitpyr
BITNET: CCASTSH AT GITVM1

kevin@gitpyr.UUCP (Kevin Campbell) (12/09/85)

In article <9126@ritcv.UUCP>, xxo8603@ritcv.UUCP (Patrick O'Shaughnessy) writes:
> In article <2415@umcp-cs.UUCP> israel@maryland.UUCP (Bruce israel) writes:
> >In article <198@sdcc7.UUCP> ee178acg@sdcc7.UUCP (Bud Weiser) writes:
> >>We had a beach party where we filled our apartment with 8
> >>inches of sand.  See if you can top that!!
> >
> >Well, if I were going to top 8 inches of sand, I'd probably want to
> >do it with bikini-clad sunbathers.  :-)
>
> Hey guys- Why are there no bikini-clad sunbathers at Technology
> schools?   As a matter of fact, why are there so few women here???
> We can't be that bad, can we??

  here at the Georgia Institute of Technology... Must be the superior
  program attracts superior women..

     An Avid Tech-Women-Watcher
--
Kevin Campbell
Office of Computing Services

msl@bu-cs.UUCP (Melissa Leffler) (12/09/85)

In article <1152@gitpyr.UUCP> scott@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Holt) writes:

> You do have a point though, there are still more guys watching than there
>are bikini clad sunbathers...but give it time, female enrollment at schools
>like ours is getting better.
>                      - Scott

So, you want bikini clad sunbathers?  How often do you see males lounging
around in the sun in shorts/trunks?  There are two sides here...

		-melis
--
				UUCP  : ...!harvard!bu-cs!msl
				ARPA  : msl%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

When it comes, the Landscape listens -
Shadows - hold their breath -
When it goes, 'tis like the Distance
On the look of Death -
					excerpt from '66' - Emily Dickinson

ambar@mit-eddie.UUCP (AMBAR) (12/12/85)

>> Hey guys- Why are there no bikini-clad sunbathers at Technology
>> schools?   As a matter of fact, why are there so few women here???
>> We can't be that bad, can we??
>>

>just ask him from which Tech school he's from (probably MIT)

With Boston weather, you want bikinis?!?!

					AMBAR
"Anarchy may not be the best form of government, but it's better than no
 government at all."