[net.college] University

scott@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Holt) (02/16/86)

In article <272@hropus.UUCP>, ijk@hropus.UUCP (Ihor J. Kinal) writes:
> According to today's NY Times article on the lawsuit against Georgia:
> "Athletes in football and basketball needed only a 400 S.A.T. score and
> the 2.0 grade-point average."
>
> That 400 is a TOTAL score, which is pretty amusing, since the minimum
> is 200.  Pretty stringent requirements, don't you think????

	I think this a little inaccurate ... this was true in some exceptional
cases where the athlete was considered to be of exceptional value to the
school. However, it is not the general rule...for most cases the minimum is
a little bit higher...they have to have a 600 on the SAT. :-)

	In all seriousness though, the Kemp trial brings some things into
the public light that have remained in the dark for to long. Why is it that
a student can make it through the public school system and still be
functionally illiterate?! Why should the University (sic) of Georgia even
have a developmental studies program? Such a program should be placed in
the hands of a lower level, smaller school, shouldn't it? Why do we allow
athletes to be exploited ( yes, despite all that 'preferential treatment'
they are exploited ) simply to raise funds for the institute? The case
brings up issues that need to be examined carefully, issues which we have
been ignoring for too long.

	Just a little bit of background...I am a student at Georgia Tech
and I absolutely despise the University (sic) of Georgia athletic program.
The school itself is really not that bad, it has some very good academic
programs and does a great deal of useful research. It has gotten very bad
press from this case which for the most part, it does not deserve.

                                       - Scott

--
---------
I'll stop procrastinating tomorow.