[net.college] RA's and drug use

mas3619@wucec2.UUCP (02/15/86)

Recently, office of Housing and Residential Life announce that it now
expects RA's to report ALL incidents of drug use.  They claim that this
is not a change in policy, but just a change in emphasis.  The alchohol
policy here at Wash U is relativly liberal, both in the dorms and at
open parties.  Ony beer and wine may be served at an open party and in
the dorms the only restriction is that RA's may not buy alchohol for
residents.  The drinking age in Missouri is 21.  Also, all the floors
are coed except for one (called the Convent).

There has been a moderate amount of protest on the editorial page of our
student newspaper but there have been no student marches or picket lines.

RLC (as the housing office is known) says that it is only trying to help
students.  However, it also admits that in some cases the reports filed
by the RA's may be handed over to student counciling or the campus police.

Some RA's agree with the policy while others have reservations.  Their
main objection is that it makes them feel like police.  They say that
they will lose the confidence and trust of their residents if they are
forced to "act like spies.'

One point that has been raised is that RLC's policy is inconsistent.  It
tries to eliminate drug use while not trying o prevent underage drinking.

My question to you people out in net-land is this:  Have other universities
tried a policy like this?  Have they been successful, or have policies like
this one fallen by the wayside?  Let's here your opinion.

--
Marc Sarrel
6515 Wydown Blvd  Box 4481  St. Louis  MO  63105

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (02/16/86)

In article <1353@wucec2.UUCP> mas3619@wucec2.UUCP writes:
>Recently, office of Housing and Residential Life announce that it now
>expects RA's to report ALL incidents of drug use.

>My question to you people out in net-land is this:  Have other universities
>tried a policy like this?  Have they been successful, or have policies like
>this one fallen by the wayside?  Let's here your opinion.
>
>--
>Marc Sarrel

MIT does not ask hall tutors to report drug use.  The hall tutor
system at MIT is large, with about 50-60 hall tutors overseeing living
groups of about 30-45 people each.  The only thing the tutors are
expected to act upon is "people who are having problems with school
and how this relates to drug use".  So if you keep a good GPA
you're OK.

The issue has come up in the past, and the idea of hall tutors acting
as "policemen" has been shot down.

However, it really depends on the living group.  If someone complains
about drug use accross the hall from them/by their roomate/etc, the
hall tutor is likely to discuss this with the offending party.  Also,
any drug use in some living groups would be such a shock to everyone,
the tutor included.

Living groups which have a history of people who use recreational
pharacuticals/herbs tend to attract hall tutors which this does not
bother. Therefore the status quo remains the same from tutor to tutor.

|  Andrew S. Gerber    		MIT '87             Visible Language Workshop |
|  gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-mc.lcs.mit.edu, gerber@athena.mit.edu   |
|  UUCP: decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber   decvax!mit-eddie!mit-athena!gerber |

matt@srs.UUCP (Matt Goheen) (02/18/86)

>In article <1353@wucec2.UUCP> mas3619@wucec2.UUCP writes:
>
>>Recently, office of Housing and Residential Life announce that it now
>>expects RA's to report ALL incidents of drug use.
>>My question to you people out in net-land is this:  Have other universities
>>tried a policy like this?  Have they been successful, or have policies like
>>this one fallen by the wayside?  Let's here your opinion.
>>
>>Marc Sarrel
>
>MIT does not ask hall tutors to report drug use.
>The only thing the tutors are
>expected to act upon is "people who are having problems with school
>and how this relates to drug use".  So if you keep a good GPA
>you're OK.

RIT has a similar policy.  RA's are not encouraged to "police" their
floors (really shoots the RA/floor member relationship if you act as
a policeman rather than a floor member).  However, we were supposed
to watch for substance "abuse" where drugs may be inhibiting the
productivity of individuals.  However, since the NY drinking age has
just risen to 21 (as of this past Dec.), things may be a little different
in the future.  RSA's (Residential Safety Aids) are under fire at
RIT for "policing", but that is another story...(which I may elaborate
upon in the future if time permits).

					Matt Goheen
					S.R. Systems
				  (RIT part-time, former RA)
			      {seismo,allegra}!rochester!srs!matt

mark@nyit.UUCP (Mark Smith) (02/22/86)

> One point that has been raised is that RLC's policy is inconsistent.  It
> tries to eliminate drug use while not trying to prevent underage drinking.
>
> My question to you people out in net-land is this: Have other universities
> tried a policy like this? Have they been successful, or have policies like
> this one fallen by the wayside?  Let's here your opinion.

     In my opinion, the State University of New York at Stony Brook
     has a greater emphasis on underage alcohol policies.

     I believe it to be a reaction to the new 21 law.  As you may or
     may not know, NY state has just passed a new drinking age law.

--

				Mark Smith

				NYIT Computer Graphics Laboratory
				Old Westbury, New York
				...{philabs,sbcs}!nyit!mark

blenko@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Blenko) (02/25/86)

In article <1353@wucec2.UUCP> mas3619@wucec2.UUCP writes:
>Recently, office of Housing and Residential Life announce that it now
>expects RA's to report ALL incidents of drug use.  They claim that this
>is not a change in policy, but just a change in emphasis.  The alchohol
>policy here at Wash U is relativly liberal, both in the dorms and at
>open parties.  Ony beer and wine may be served at an open party and in
>the dorms the only restriction is that RA's may not buy alchohol for
>residents.  The drinking age in Missouri is 21.  Also, all the floors
>are coed except for one (called the Convent).

>One point that has been raised is that RLC's policy is inconsistent.
>It tries to eliminate drug use while not trying o prevent underage
>drinking.

>My question to you people out in net-land is this:  Have other
>universities tried a policy like this?  Have they been successful, or
>have policies like this one fallen by the wayside?  Let's here your
>opinion.

1. Would you rent an apartment in which the management adopted such a
policy? I wouldn't. If you wish to be treated as an adult, you may have
to insist that you be treated as an adult (and I hope you will also
undertake to behave as an adult -- some of the time, anyway),
and if you don't insist, you don't deserve to be.

2. There seems to have been a major change in the attitudes of both
parents and students concerning the role of colleges and universities
compared to when I first went off to college ten years ago.  Parents
expect the schools to take a stronger, authoritative, parental role,
and the students, it seems, do as well. Having nothing very positive to
say about this state of affairs, I'll say nothing at all except that I
expect to see the situation swing in the other direction again.

3. The school is certain to be concerned both about its public image
and its legal liability for student misadventures. How they choose to
act on those concerns will vary from school to school, and will also
reflect local student (customer) acceptance.

4. From one point of view the distinction between use of alcohol and
use of other drugs is irrational. Nevertheless, I suspect that both the
public relations and the legal risks associated with student use of
alcohol are smaller (and better known) than risks associated with
student use of other drugs, and the school's policies can be sensibly
interpreted in that light.

5. Your school's policy may not be an attempt to act against offenders,
but rather an attempt to reduce its own liability. If someone sues the
school because there child gets drunk and falls out a window, the
school can argue in that it (generically) recognizes the existance of
alcohol or drug use/abuse and has a policy for dealing with it
(outlawing it and providing a policing mechanism).  The system isn't
100% effective, etc., but they do the best they can, etc. This might
prove more credible in front of a judge or a jury than the
monkey-no-see defense, or (what I am more sympathetic to) the argument
that the student was of age and acting in his or her own right.

My claim is that school policies reflect a not-too-far-out-of-date
view of parental and student expectations, and those expectations
(along with the institution's determination to survive) are the best
explanation for the policies as a whole.  If policy implementation is
incorrect, there are factors which act to correct it.  If your point of
view is at odds with the policies, then either you're in the minority,
or you have no effective voice.

	Tom

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (02/25/86)

In article <214@nyit.UUCP> mark@nyit.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:
>> My question to you people out in net-land is this: Have other universities
>> tried a policy like this? Have they been successful, or have policies like
>> this one fallen by the wayside?  Let's here your opinion.
>
>     In my opinion, the State University of New York at Stony Brook
>     has a greater emphasis on underage alcohol policies.
>     I believe it to be a reaction to the new 21 law.  As you may or
>     may not know, NY state has just passed a new drinking age law.
>--
>				Mark Smith
>				NYIT Computer Graphics Laboratory
>				Old Westbury, New York
>				...{philabs,sbcs}!nyit!mark

The University of Rochester has taken rather an interesting approach to
drug and alcohol use in the dorms.  They have adopted a "closed door" policy -
whatever you do behind the closed door of your room is your business,
and is regarded as being in your own home.  The RAs will not come into your
room if locked (although they have the key, for accidental lockouts), and
neither will security - they won't check during fire alarms, etc.  They do
reserve rights in the case of bomb threat, actual fire, and other natural
disasters, and did come in over Christmas break and unplug any electrical
appliances.

Therefore, you could be doing anything in your room from refining drugs to
running a house of ill repute (however small :-)), and *as long as you kept
your door closed*, your 'rights' would be respected.  The same goes for
alcohol - at the beginning of the year, the RA told us to keep it out of
the hall, and if there was a keg on the hall, he wanted to know about it
(he still could be held libel if someone got drunk and broke his neck falling
down stairs, and it's kinda hard to ignore a quantity like that).

Sean Colbath
UUCP:    ...allegra!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM

kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/06/86)

I did my undergrad study at Wesleyan University in Middletown Connecticut,
where they had a refreshingly healthy attitude on such matters.  Most
simply, their attitude was, you're college students; we think you can
take care of yourself.  Do whatever you want; it's your business.

There was a line drawn, but usually someone had to be dumb enough to
try selling drugs to townies to cross it.

There was absolutely no problem with beer.  Several campus facilities
would offer it, and the dining hall would occasionally have a champagne
brunch.  Campus-sponsored parties would have kegs available.  (I don't
know what's happened since they jacked the drinking age up).  A group
even arose called WESober, whose purpose was to make sure that these
parties also had NON-alcoholic drinks available.

There was one single-sex dorm (male).  Others were coed by floor, by
hall, or by room.  And there was nobody there to kick anyone out.  If you
wanted guests of any sex at any hour, that was your business.

Freshman halls had RAs, but their purpose was to get people out of trouble -
not into it.

At the University of Illinois, on the other hand, I think what best sums
up the place is its main gymnasium building which closely resembles a
prison.  I'm not kidding - bars on the windows, big metal gates with
someone there to guard the flow.  God forbid someone who forgot their
id should try to enter!

The situation in the dorms is not much better.  There is one place where
NOTHING with a Y chromosome is allowed in.  (sorry, daddy, you can't
see my room.)  The people in charge of monitoring things take their roles
seriously and often fanatically.  They censor the walls, and if you get
caught with a beer outside your room (or in it in the case of undergrad
dorms) ...  I am glad I moved out of the dorm system, though I still have
to deal with neo-fascist elements at certain campus events.

I've sometimes doubted that U of I administrators ever think of students here
as human beings.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)
"The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine."