[net.college] Eastman U.???

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (02/23/86)

Here at the Univesity of Rochester,  an interesting event is taking place.  A   move to change the name of the university has started.  The action comes as
part of the many changes that our president, Dennis ("The Mennace") O'Brien     (sp?), has put into place to change the University's Image, and to therefore
increase enrollment.   My question for you is:
	What would be a good name for the University of Rochester?
	Does University of Rochester sound cold to you?
     I happen to like the name Oxford because the name has a certain class
about it.   What do you think?

					The Wumpus
					allegra!rochester!aptr

wjjordan@watdragon.UUCP (W. Jim Jordan) (02/26/86)

In article <384@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
>Here at the Univesity of Rochester... a move to change the name of the
>university has started.
>My question for you is:
>	What would be a good name for the University of Rochester?
>	Does University of Rochester sound cold to you?

"University of Rochester" sounds no colder than the "University of Waterloo."
If they want to rename the university, why not name it after some dead
president, like Reagan :-).  If it's to improve the university's profile
to increase enrolment, name it after someone famous, like David Letterman.
(Of course, it's usually advantageous to wait until the non-political famous
people die before you attach their name to something...)

							jim

--
"What, me graduate?"
			W. Jim Jordan

kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/06/86)

>"University of Rochester" sounds no colder than the "University of Waterloo."
>If they want to rename the university, why not name it after some dead
>president, like Reagan :-).  If it's to improve the university's profile
>to increase enrolment, name it after someone famous, like David Letterman.
>(Of course, it's usually advantageous to wait until the non-political famous
>people die before you attach their name to something...)

If they're going to name it after a dead president, they should name it
after Millard Fillmore.  He came from the Buffalo area, only a short drive
from Rochester.  Unlike Fillmore, a Reagan will have no trouble being
remembered for at least a few generations.  We need more memorials to
our less memorable.

Why bring this up?  Because this Saturday is the anniversary of Fillmore's
death.  Show your solidarity and wear black.  Has it really been 112
years without him?

Incidentally, the non-political famous can get their names on something
while they live.  All it takes is a hefty donation.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)
"Remember these three words:  Don't argue."
"That's two words."
"You're starting already!"

devinney@sunybcs.UUCP (George DeVinney) (03/15/86)

In article <32400009@uiucdcs> kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>>"University of Rochester" sounds no colder than the "University of Waterloo."
>>If they want to rename the university, why not name it after some dead
>>president, like Reagan :-).  If it's to improve the university's profile
>
>If they're going to name it after a dead president, they should name it
>after Millard Fillmore.  He came from the Buffalo area, only a short drive

Nice idea but University at Buffalo uses Millard Fillmore College as the
 name of the evening/continuing ed division.