[net.med] Torric Lenses - A Summary

dwv@ihuxu.UUCP (D. W. Vollman) (06/27/84)

Below is a summary of responses I received from my request for
info on torric contact lenses. Thanks to all who responded. As a
sidenote, I decided to get the lenses and I will post a review
after I have worn them for a while
					Dave Vollman
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					..!ihnp4!dwv

>From mhuxl!ulysses!wb  Fri Jun 22 04:47:40 1984 remote from ihnp4

As toric lenses were recommended to you, I assume that you,
like myself, suffer from astigmatism.  I wore glasses for
many years and then tried hard lenses.  My vision was great,
but I could not get used to them (like putting finger nails
into your eyes!).  I then tried the gas permeable hard lenses
and they weren't much better.  Also, I'm allergic to mercury
compounds in my eyes and they had to be sterilized in
chemical solution.  For the past four years I've been using
soft toric lenses.  I started with Bausch & Lomb lenses
which I boiled daily and cleaned enzymatically every two weeks.
They lasted about 2 years and then my doctor suggested a new
type of soft toric which does not have to be enzymatically
cleaned.  I can't remember the complete name of the
manufacturer, but it had "Wellsley" in it.  My astigmatism
cannot be completely corrected with soft torics, but I'd
rather have 20/25 vision then go back to either glasses or
hard lenses.

Hopefully by the time my current lenses wear out a new type
of "silicon" lens will be available which is supposed to
correct as well as hard, but fell like soft.

					Bill Beblo
					Bell Communications Research
					600 Mountain Avenue
					Murray Hill, New Jersey 07974
					(201) 582-7365

>From whuxle!mp  Fri Jun 22 01:16:53 1984 remote from ihnp4

One of the opthalmologists I went to suggested them too,
if that's any reassurance.  His boss said no, though,
because it would be too hard to fit me (I need high diopter
correction (8.75), and since toric lenses are relatively new they're
only manufacturing the more "popular" low-diopter types).

If the torics don't work out, maybe you can try
gas-permeables.

>From houxm!hogpc!pegasus!phoenix!eagan  Thu Jun 21 18:40:38 1984 remote from ihnp4
i dont know what torric lenses are, but i had problems with hard lenses after
several years of success. i now wear polycon lenses.  they are gas permeable,
a little to keep clean, but lots more comfortable.

good luck.

m. eagan

>From ignatz Thu Jun 21 22:44 CDT 1984 remote from ihuxx

I have toric soft extended wear contacts, and have had for over a
year.  They do work, and have been well worth the effort and expense.
I will mention that you'd better get an optometrist or opthalmologist
who knows his/her stuff--the fitting has to be perfect, or you'll have
vision and/or comfort problems.  But I say, go for it!  Any questions,
feel free to ask.

	Dave Ihnat
	ihuxx!ignatz

From **NSC** Fri Jun 22 18:52 EDT 1984
Date: 22 Jun 84 17:49:56 CDT (Fri)
From: ihnp4!ihuxs!tjm
To: ihnp4!ihuxu!dwv
Subject: Re: Need info on torric contact lenses

Dave,

	I'm on my second set of soft lenses, one of which is toric.
They're great. I had hard contacts some years ago so I sympathize
with your wanting to get rid of them. The first day I had my hard
lenses, the doctor said to try and keep them in for a half-hour, and
I just made it -- couldn't wait to get them out. Upon getting the
soft lenses, the doctor said don't keep them in for more than five hours
or so the first day, and five hours were no problem ( note I hadn't
worn hard lenses for several years before getting the soft ones, so
it wasn't that my eyes were used to lenses, they're just very
comfortable. ) 	I only need one toric lens, but for comfort, fit,
etc. it's indistinguishable from the regular soft lens.

					ood luck,
					Tim Mahar
					ihuxs!tjm

From balfanz Mon Jun 25 12:08 EDT 1984

>From balfanz Mon Jun 25 11:09 CDT 1984 remote from ihuxs

Subject: Toric Contact Lenses

I have had a toric contact lense for almost 2 years now with no problems.
The eye doctor recommended soft contact lenses to me after my eye glass
prescription changed dramatically every year for 3 consecutive years
(very depressing).  He started me out on normal soft contact lenses in
both eyes.  But the astigmatism is worse in my left eye and I couldn't
see well.  So the eye doctor used a toric lense for my left eye.  The
toric lense is thicker at the bottom to provide a weighed effect which
keeps the contact from rotating as you blink.  Then there are three
engraved lines at the bottom of the lense that help change the reflection
of the light to correct for the astigmatism.

The toric lense is easier to put into my eye because it is more rigid and
doesn't want to fold like a normal soft contact lense.

The only problem I have had with my toric lense was when the eye
doctor was first fitting me with it.  The first lense I had was
"supposed" to be the proper fit for my eye but it was too big and made
my eye water constantly.  It wasn't painful, but I guess it brushed
against the inside of my eye lid enough to make my eye think it was
something to rinse out.  So, my eye doctor got me a lense a size smaller
and it has been fine ever since.

From: ihnp4!decvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!sdccs6!ix900 (David Sewell)

Find out first why your hard lenses are uncomfortable, if possible.  If
your problem is allergies you're still likely to have difficulties with
soft lenses--that's been my experience, anyway.