[net.med] Miscarriages

marie@harvard.ARPA (Marie Desjardins) (11/15/84)

Jerry Aguirre says concerning miscarriages (in response to a discussion
in net.kids):

> Before you say it won't happen to me: The statistics I hear are 1 out
> of 4 pregnancies.  I would say that a 25% chance of loosing the baby is
> pretty bad odds.  It seems to be one of those things that "isn't
> discussed".

This seems ridiculously high to me, at least based on the number of
people I have known who have been pregnant and miscarried.  Does anybody
know the correct figures?

	Marie desJardins
	marie@harvard

fhgunn@watmath.UUCP (Lynn Conway) (11/18/84)

According to "Our Bodies Our Selves", writen by the Boston Women's Health Book
Collective, one in six pregnancies end in miscarriage. Seventy-five
percent of these miscarriages occur in the first twelve weeks of
the pregnancy.

In article <153@harvard.ARPA> marie@harvard.ARPA (Marie Desjardins) writes:
>Jerry Aguirre says concerning miscarriages (in response to a discussion
>in net.kids):
>
>> Before you say it won't happen to me: The statistics I hear are 1 out
>> of 4 pregnancies.  I would say that a 25% chance of loosing the baby is
>> pretty bad odds.  It seems to be one of those things that "isn't
>> discussed".
>
>This seems ridiculously high to me, at least based on the number of
>people I have known who have been pregnant and miscarried.  Does anybody
>know the correct figures?
>
>	Marie desJardins
>	marie@harvard

I do not know the "correct" figures, BUT the figure cited could be
technically correct and still highly misleading.  That is pregnancies
could fall into two(or more) categories with regard to miscarriages;
a high risk category, in which a high percentage miscarry; and
a low risk category, in which there are almost no miscarriages.
Then the *averaged* rate of miscarriage over both categories
could well be as high as stated.

werner@aecom.UUCP (11/20/84)

> > Before you say it won't happen to me: The statistics I hear are 1 out
> > of 4 pregnancies.

> This seems ridiculously high to me, at least based on the number of
> people I have known who have been pregnant and miscarried.

	I checked this out in Moore, The Developing Human (Clinical
Embryology) and they don't seem to mention this number. However, you
may want to extrapolate from these numbers:

	Malformations are observed in 2.7% of newborn infants.
	Congenital malformations are detected in additional 3% during
infancy.
	Not all of these are serious, however.

	The 1 in 4 figure may come from including pregnancies with
complications and elective abortions, but the actual figure is probably
closer to 5%, not 25%. If I see more on the subject that contradicts this,
I'll post it.

P.S. Hi Marie! (desjardins@harvard (sp))

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (11/21/84)

> Jerry Aguirre says concerning miscarriages (in response to a discussion
> in net.kids):
>
> > Before you say it won't happen to me: The statistics I hear are 1 out
> > of 4 pregnancies.  I would say that a 25% chance of loosing the baby is
> > pretty bad odds.  It seems to be one of those things that "isn't
> > discussed".
>
> This seems ridiculously high to me, at least based on the number of
> people I have known who have been pregnant and miscarried.  Does anybody
> know the correct figures?
>
> 	Marie desJardins
> 	marie@harvard

That's about right according to what I was told when I 1st realized I was
pregnant.  However, my physician did say that those statistics included a
great many early miscarriages in women who may not have even realized they
were pregnant.  I guess that means that it's a guess.

carter@gatech.UUCP (Carter Bullard) (11/24/84)

Consider that a great number of miscarriages occur without the mother
ever knowing that conception had taken place,ie. within the first 6 weeks
of pregnancy. The figure that I have seen for prenatal survivability of
humans, at least in medical embryology texts, is around 45-65%.
It is likely that every sexually active female will have at least one
undetected miscarriage in their lifetime.
--
Carter Bullard
ICS, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA 30332

jhh@ihldt.UUCP (John Haller) (11/26/84)

The number of miscarriages being high may be because there is a significant
number of spontaneous abortions, usually before the woman knows she is
pregnant.  Whether this is included in the miscarriage rate may have
a significant affect.  I don't remember the numbers, but a large number
of fertilized eggs don't become babies.