[net.med] Blood Type Distribution

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (12/06/84)

	This question was asked me during a recent blood drive here.

	In the U.S. the frequency for various blood types is
	O = 46%, A= 42%, B = 9%, AB=3%

	However in Japan, I know that Type B is actually in the majority.
Does anyone have the exact figures, not just on the U.S. and Japan, but
worldwide by race.

	Mail me, or if you decide to post, post only to net.med (not
both .med and .sci - to avoid duplication.)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (12/10/84)

Blood type distribution is often used as an indicator of ancient
migration paths, in the same way as are the relationships among
languages (glottochronology).
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (12/10/84)

In article <1002@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>	In the U.S. the frequency for various blood types is
>	O = 46%, A= 42%, B = 9%, AB=3%
>
>	However in Japan, I know that Type B is actually in the majority.
>Does anyone have the exact figures, not just on the U.S. and Japan, but
>worldwide by race.

I don't know the exact statistics, but you will find that in all European
countries, and those settled by European countries, that type B blood
is very rare.

I heard an explaination of this is that people with type B blood are more
likely to die if they catch bubonic plague.  The plague in the middle
ages killed off most of the people with B blood.  In other areas of the
world where the plague did not reach, you find about 50/50 A and B type
blood.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab