[net.med] DRG/HMOs and quality of Patient Care

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (12/13/84)

	In an effort to bring down the high cost of Health care, there has
been a spread of HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations) and reimbursement
by DRGs (Diagnostic Related Groups).
	To oversimplify, these work by Pre-payment by the patient (HMO) or
a set fee for the diagnosis (DRG), and replace so-called Fee for Service
arrangements. (Pay for each test, pay for each day in the hospital - the
more the doctor does, the more he gets paid).

	With the new system, reimbursement is fixed.  So that if a patient
requires extra care, the doctor (or Hospital) gets no extra money. So in the
extreme, the most money is made by non-treatment of the patient.
	Incidentally, the argument for the above arrangement is that it
discourages Useless tests (most of which are useful in many cases but may
be superfluous or done for legal - fear of malpractice suits - reasons) and
also encourages the patient to seek more health care - since it's paid for
in advance, why not go for regualr checkups, etc.

	However, can others see the chance of the system's abuse? Especially
with the rise of Health Care for Profit chains of Hospitals (i.e. Humana).

	Post or mail, I'd like to see this discussed.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/15/84)

> 	In an effort to bring down the high cost of Health care, there has
> been a spread of HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations) and reimbursement
> by DRGs (Diagnostic Related Groups).

What we have here is a very knotty problem.  The medical profession
(in its widest sense) has produced ever more safe, non-invasive
tests and safer treatments, and more thorough diagnostic procedures, all
of which can generally be considered to be beneficial to the patient.

The chances of complications from tests, side effects from treatments,
and results of misdiagnosis and consequent improper treatment are
able to be lowered considerably.

For a price.

I can't answer how much extra I would spend to buy safer, more
accurate tests and more sure treatment for myself.  I don't know
how anyone can presume to decide this issue for me.  That includes
legislatures, insurers, hospitals and doctors.

Sure wish I had an answer...

Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

jmm@ski.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (12/16/84)

In article <> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>	In an effort to bring down the high cost of Health care, there has
>been a spread of HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations) and reimbursement
>by DRGs (Diagnostic Related Groups).
>
>	With the new system, reimbursement is fixed.  So that if a patient
>requires extra care, the doctor (or Hospital) gets no extra money.
>	Incidentally, the argument for the above arrangement is that it
>discourages Useless tests (most of which are useful in many cases but may
>be superfluous or done for legal - fear of malpractice suits.

	My family & I just switched from conventional health insurance
to the Take Care HMO, mainly because the HMO is cheaper.  It occurred to
me that the payment scheme would encourage under-treatment, but
malpractice suits (which encourage over-treatment) are still a factor,
and I'm betting that the two influences will cancel, resulting in
appropriate treatment.

eric@milo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (12/17/84)

> 	In an effort to bring down the high cost of Health care, there has
> been a spread of HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations) and reimbursement
> by DRGs (Diagnostic Related Groups).
> 	To oversimplify, these work by Pre-payment by the patient (HMO) or
> a set fee for the diagnosis (DRG), and replace so-called Fee for Service
> arrangements. (Pay for each test, pay for each day in the hospital - the
> more the doctor does, the more he gets paid).

	No sane person that I know currently considers DRGs to be good. For
one thing, they totally ignore the age of the patient. Taking care of a
broken hip for a 10 year old is significantly different thatn taking
care of a broken hip for a 70 year old. Also, there are currently gaps in
the codes - last I knew there was only a code for out patient cataract surgery,
not in patient.

	But, there is a reason for the attempt. Hospitals are currently
rewarded for keeping patients longer than medically necessary, they are paid
by the day, not to treat the illness. I am currently involved with an attempt
to overhaul a hospital to bring its office practices into the 20th century.
There is no attempt made currently to optimize the scheduled tests, or the
flow of paper work on the patient. One example that I know of involves the
radiology department treating the in patients as sort of a queue, they fill
in the times between scheduled out patients with in patient tests. While
an in patient is waiting for a radiology test, they can not be scheduled for
any other testing. This can lead to one or two extra hospital days per stay.

	The problem so far does not have any simple solutions. But it is clear
that health care can not continue in its current form, it already accounts
for a staggering amount of the GNP. What the final, humane form of medical
care will be is going to take some trial and error, and there are going to
be some inequities during this time. Wish I had the answer.

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!milo!eric

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (12/22/84)

> 	My family & I just switched from conventional health insurance
> to the Take Care HMO, mainly because the HMO is cheaper.  It occurred to
> me that the payment scheme would encourage under-treatment, but
> malpractice suits (which encourage over-treatment) are still a factor,
> and I'm betting that the two influences will cancel, resulting in
> appropriate treatment.

	I, too, find certain advantages in an HMO.  However, I suffer
from a chronic, presently uncurable neuromuscular disease.  If I don't
get the correct treatment, I could be totally unproductive, even die.
The most competent care for this nearby is at the Johns Hopkins Medical
Institutions and a few "outside" neurologists with staff and adjunct
faculty priveleges there.  I have yet to see an HMO that would allow me
to see these people and be treated at Hopkins.  Am I wrong?

Brint

eric@milo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (12/23/84)

> 	I, too, find certain advantages in an HMO.  However, I suffer
> from a chronic, presently uncurable neuromuscular disease.  If I don't
> get the correct treatment, I could be totally unproductive, even die.
> The most competent care for this nearby is at the Johns Hopkins Medical
> Institutions and a few "outside" neurologists with staff and adjunct
> faculty priveleges there.  I have yet to see an HMO that would allow me
> to see these people and be treated at Hopkins.  Am I wrong?

	While not on the same level of seriousness, my wife required jaw
surgery about a year ago to correct some orthodonic problems. Our HMO
does not have an oral surgeon capable of handling the procedure, so they
allowed us to go to one outside the plan (at Johns Hopkins, as a matter of
fact), and still picked up the bill. I won't say it was easy, but after a
doctor from the plan examined my wife and determined the surgery was
necessary, and not merely cosmetic, they did let us proceed. As insurance,
I also made sure I had a written statement from them saying they would
cover the operation. But there was not any problem, and the surgery occured
without hassles. I don't know if all HMOs are like this, but mine certainly
handled it in the way I thought most reasonable.