[net.med] Hacker and Pre-Med Analogy

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (12/14/84)

> In article <521@sdcsvax.UUCP> allyn@sdcsvax.UUCP (Allyn Fratkin) writes:
> >
> >I'm an undergraduate at UC San Diego, and I have seen this exile here also.
> >The "fittest students" are the ones with the best grades, not the ones that
> >are the best programmers.  In fact, there is not really a class in how to
>
> Isn't this the same as what has been going on all along in
> Medical School admissions?
> The people who have the best grades get in, but they don't necessarily
> make the best doctors. I've know several people who really liked ...
>                                                   Sue Brunkow

	Actually in recent years, there's been a trend away from that and
towards admitting not only more women and minorities, but also more older
students (ex-nurses, ex-paramedics,ex-housewives, etc...) and more importantly
towards admitting a student body with a more diverse set of interests and
hobbies.
	The only problem is that in Med School, there is no way to actually
pursue any of the hobbies that got you in Med School in the first place. I
still set aside some time for Usenet but have had to unsuscribe to many
groups I would really prefer to be reading, in order to have time for
Anatomy, Biochemistry, Embryology, Histology, Human Behavior, Genetics,
and least important, food and sleep. (And this is just 1st year, it gets
harder after that.)
	The dilemna was put best in one of the serious passages of the
Official MD Handbook, (Well, 5 minutes and I can't find it, so here are
two non-so-serious passages):
1)	The ability to read, assimilate, and regurgitate vast amounts of
Medical Knowledge. -- and to keep reading ... without demanding an explanation
plus the ability to work 36 hours straight without demanding a rationale.
No one wants a doctor who says, "Uh gee, I'll tell you what you have as soon
as I can go look it up, okay?"
2)	Would you rather have a doctor who compassionately holds your hand
as you expire, or who rudely cures you with a shot of the latest antibiotic?

	They try to teach us to treat the illness (the whole patient) and
not just the disease, but they have to teach the disease, and that's the
majority of training.  It's a problem, but not one likely to go away.

(If you respond to only the Med part, take net.college off the subject
heading, or you can mail.)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

susie@uwmacc.UUCP (sue brunkow) (12/22/84)

In article <1019@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>2)	Would you rather have a doctor who compassionately holds your hand
>as you expire, or who rudely cures you with a shot of the latest antibiotic?

But why can't you be BOTH compassionate and effective? My point
was that there are a lot of people with the ability to do both,
and by selecting on the basis of grades, you're likely to end
up with doctors who effective but not compassionate,
and a lot of patientswho mis-trust doctors.

                                Sue Brunkow
                              Univ. of Wisconsin

           {allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwmacc!susie

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/04/85)

In article <591.uwmacc.UUCP> Sue Brunkow accuses me of saying:

> In article <1019@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
> >2)	Would you rather have a doctor who compassionately holds your hand
> >as you expire, or who rudely cures you with a shot of the latest antibiotic?
> >

> But why can't you be BOTH compassionate and effective? My point
>                                 Sue Brunkow

	I did not WRITE that. That is one of two quotes (Note the "2") I
took, with acknowledgement, from 'The Official MD Handbook.'
	The text of the article was exactly in keeping with Sue's sentiment.

	If I didn't believe that, would I be going to Med School?