[net.med] Test for exposure to AIDS

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/03/85)

<><><><><><><>><><><>
	Second of a set of occasional articles on AIDS

	AIDS is an acronym for Aquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. Some notes
on that name: Syndrome is a technical term meaning we don't know what causes
it, or exactly what it does, but it appears often enough that we need a name.
	AIDS has up to now been diagnosed not directly but by the appearance
of certain opportunistic infections, such as Kaposi's Sarcoma.
	[Incidentally, AIDS-associated Kaposi's Sarcoma generally only occurs
in Gays, IV-drug users tend not to show Kaposi's but tend to show other
opportunistic infections.]
	By this time, the immunosuppression characteristic of AIDS has already
occurred and the disease is invariably fatal within a few years. (7000 have
already died.)

	Now there is a way to detect exposure to the virus that reputedly
causes AIDS, HTLV-3. It is a simple blood test, easy to do and very reliable.
It involves antibodies to the virus.

	Some sample data on the test:

		Group				% HTLV-3 positive
		AIDS patients				99.7%
		pre-AIDS			       ~90%
		Healthy Homosexuals (in SF)	       ~70-80%
		IV Drug Users			[I don't have this one ~50%?]
		Hemophiliacs required F-VIII		~30%
		Random Healthy Heterosexuals		0.003%

	The test is not in wide use, however, for several NON-MEDICAL but
rather POLITICAL reasons.
	The first is reporting. Since no one knows what a Positive sign
means. (Several of the Healthy Homosexuals who were tested AIDS positive
later came down with the disease, but it was a very miniscule percentage.)
Do you tell someone? The psychic risk was judged to be too great by some.
	The second reason is similar. The test was designed to protect the
integrity of the blood banks. Therefore it was suggested to keep a registry
of those with HTLV-3 Positive blood (Like ABO and Rh typing) and only use that
blood for research purposes not for transfusion. [It is done now in NY by a
consent form which is confidential.]
	Well, Gay groups protested vigorously. Look at the data and see why.
The test is very good for identifying those with AIDS. But it is almost as
good for identifying homosexuals (at least in SF - other parts of the
country may vary.) and they feared labeling. Articles could be written on
this alone, but I must go on.
	The third reason is that people feared that people who may have been
exposed to AIDS might be more likely to give blood (using donation as a
diagnostic test) to see if they really have the disease, causing much more
contamination of the blood supply than already exists, especially if the
test is not available in large enough quantities or is not sensitive enough
and misses some HTLV-3 contaminated blood.

	The variations are enormous, but I prefer shorter articles.
Next time: AIDS in Africa, Heterosexual Transmission.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (01/04/85)

7000 people have died?  The number of people with CDC-defined AIDS
isn't much more than 8000, if that, as of December 1984.  I believe
approximately 50% of these have died (it may be 45%), so the number
of AIDS deaths can't be more than 4000.

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (01/05/85)

Craig Werner writes:

>   [Incidentally, AIDS-associated Kaposi's Sarcoma generally only occurs
> in Gays, IV-drug users tend not to show Kaposi's but tend to show other
> opportunistic infections.]

There are two forms of KS associated with AIDS: the "traditional"
nonlethal skin cancer (call it KS1), & a novel (?) internal kind
found in lymph glands which also invades other organs (call it KS2).
I believe every KS1 AIDS patient tested for KS2 has had it, AND that
non-KS1 AIDS patients tested for KS2 have ALL had it.

Have searches for KS2 in nongay AIDS patients been made?

>	 Now there is a way to detect exposure to the virus that reputedly
> causes AIDS, HTLV-3. It is a simple blood test, easy to do and very reliable.
> .......The test is not in wide use, however, for several NON-MEDICAL but
> rather POLITICAL reasons.

There is at least one MEDICAL reason for not using the test: it's not "very"
reliable.  A group testing positive for HTLV-III on the bloodtest tested
NEGATIVE when a much more accurate & expensive test for HTLV-III was given.
The bloodtest can give FALSE POSITIVES.  See recent issues of the NYNative
for details.

"Political" as used here is basically a putdown.  It suggests less than
fully valid, serious, or relevant reasons.

There are many GOOD reasons (label them what you will: legal, monetary,
social, medical) for not using/taking the bloodtest, which can be subsumed
under the heading DISCRIMINATION & ABUSE.  Namely, serious & probable risk
of:

	loss of medical insurance:  Blue Cross/Blue Shield & other medical
		insurance plans were REFUSING to cover homosexuals a while
		back; I don't know if they still are

	loss of job, career, & income

	loss of housing

	assorted discrimination by people around you who know if you've
		tested positive

	discrimination & abuse by doctors, nurses, other medical staff &
		institutions

All of the above have happened more than a few times to AIDS patients.
The 200,000-300,000 gay men who VOLUNTEERED for the bloodtest were told
after the fact by the highest medical official in the land that he &
others COULD NOT guarantee confidentiality of results, even though it
had been promised to them (subsequently, he & other top officials
& physicians have urged people NOT to take the bloodtest because they
could not guarantee that the results wouldn't find their way to insu-
rance companies & employers).  There have been reports of the above
happening in a few cases to people simply because they were gay, knew
AIDS patients, had ARC (AIDS Related Complex: vague symptoms that may
be a precursor of AIDS 10% or less of the time), or merely had been
tested.  Given public hysteria over AIDS (including within the medical
profession), homophobia in groups like the Southern Medical Association,
and maltreatment & panic among some health care & public employees,
use of the bloodtest has more than merely "partisan" obstacles.

These reasons are far more important than any "psychic risk" of inflict-
ing "AIDS anxiety" on poor gays who test positive:  many gay men have
lived with far more severe anxieties for years now without "succumbing"
psychologically.  Merely to exist as a gay person in this society is to
be a "survivor".

>	 Well, Gay groups protested vigorously. Look at the data and see why.
> The test is very good for identifying those with AIDS. But it is almost as
> good for identifying homosexuals (at least in SF - other parts of the
> country may vary.) and they feared labeling. Articles could be written on
> this alone, but I must go on.

Articles HAVE been written on this, for a number of years now.  Read the
gay press or Village Voice, & especially the New York Native, which has
the most extensive coverage.

Ignoring false positives, the test is very good for beginning the process
of testing for AIDS.  But given statistics to date, only a tiny fraction
of those testing positive can be expected to eventually develop full-blown
AIDS.  The test DOESN'T identify those with AIDS.

The main objection to the test is NOT that it will force people out of
the closet, but that ALL gays testing postive, whether "in" or "out",
will be TREATED as AIDS carriers.  (Of course, in some situations, being
suddenly & involuntarily "out" can create problems.)

I must admit I found Craig's first article very interesting, & thought-
provoking.  But he ought to be more accurate & up-to-date.  I'm a mere
layperson who simply reads the gay press regularly, yet I get the impres-
sion I'm better informed.  That's a little scary.

						Regards,
						Ron Rizzo

mef@wucs.UUCP (Mark Frisse) (01/08/85)

Your observation about the gay press may be accurate.
Having cared for gay patients early in the AIDS story,
I found the articles my patients brought me from the
gay press to be "ahead" of the articles in the scientific
literature - probably because of the lengthy critical
review process applied to scientific publications.

Two points:
    1.  We don't know how many patients exposed to HTLV will
        get the full-blown aids syndrome - it may take a few
        years to find out.
    2.  Blood banks are going to start screening blood for
        HTLV very soon.  What will they do with the information?
        What are there responsibilities to the donor and the
        public?

                                      Mark Frisse, M.D.
                                      Editor,
                                      Washington U. Manual