[net.med] Non-A Non-B Hepatitis ????

hardie@sask.UUCP ( the Born Again Programmer) (01/06/85)

Has anyone out there got info on non-a non-b hepatitis? E.G. comparing this
hepatitis relative to hepatitis-A. Better yet. Are there databases out
there that one can get this type of info from?
Thanks in advance and please MAIL info via ....!ihnp4!sask!hardie

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/13/85)

> Has anyone out there got info on non-a non-b hepatitis? E.G. comparing this
> hepatitis relative to hepatitis-A. Better yet. Are there databases out
> there that one can get this type of info from?

	Glad this came up. I was going to post the following eventually
anyway, but now it seems relevant.
	Non-A non-B Hepatitis is a generic name for any type of hepatitis
that can not be linked to either one of the two known viruses (i.e. A or B)
It is currently the most common form of hepatitis world-wide and there have
been no advances towards a vaccine in the absence of a known cause, although a
third virus was detected.
	Recently, an article and paper appeared in JAMA, the Journal of the
American Medical Association, entitled:            ^(Dec 14 '84 252/22)

	International Findings point to Third Hepatitis Virus (article)

	Epidemic non-A non-B Hepatitis in Nepal (paper, p. 3140)
It appears that a new virus, call it C, is a retrovirus (as is HTLV-3, the
virus that causes AIDS) meaning that it has a different life cycle of
normal viruses in that it becomes part of the cells it infects permanently
and does not kill them, along with many other differences.

	I realize that this does not answer the question that was actually
asked, but its something worth knowing. Perhaps looking at the references
in the paper might provide a clue where to look, however.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

In article <1093@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>> Has anyone out there got info on non-a non-b hepatitis? E.G. comparing this
>> hepatitis relative to hepatitis-A. Better yet. Are there databases out
>> there that one can get this type of info from?
>
>	Glad this came up. I was going to post the following eventually
>anyway, but now it seems relevant.
>	Non-A non-B Hepatitis is a generic name for any type of hepatitis
>that can not be linked to either one of the two known viruses (i.e. A or B)
>It is currently the most common form of hepatitis world-wide and there have
>been no advances towards a vaccine in the absence of a known cause, although a
>third virus was detected.

	I have my own small addition, I tested positive for "hepatitis"
last summer, but negative for A/B.  I eventually discovered I had
mononucleosis.  Thus non-A/B hepatitis can also be a secondary symptom
of some other disease.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|burdvax|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen