[net.med] Hair restorer found? I only wish it was true.

tom@mhuxd.UUCP (GLINOS) (01/31/85)

> Yes, that sounds right, minoxitin was to treat high blood presure, not
> arthritis pain.

Having suffered from alopecia arieata for a few years I think I
can shed a bit of light on this subject. According to my dermitologist
and my own experience.

1) The correct drug is called minoxidil and not minoxitin. It
has been used for reducing high blood pressure when taken
internally. Past studies have shown that it may promote hair
growth or slow hair loss when applied externally as a solution.
(It was observed that people who were in hospitals and were
given minoxidil were growing excess hair...as well as avoiding their
heart attacks).

2) I've used minoxidil for about a year. First at a 2% solution
and currently at 3%. My results have been mixed. It doesn't
actively promote growth but it does appear to slow my hair loss.

3) A pharmecutical firm at present is in the planning stages
of formulating a 5% cream for sale. (The mixtures I've
mentioned above have to be specially mixed by a pharmacist
and is relatively expensive ~$70.00 for a 9oz bottle)

4) At a recent medical convention a statistical study of
commenly used techiques for curing "balding" have shown
that when a patient finds something that does work for him
the odds are even that within 5 years he will be back
at the same stage as he started at. (sigh)

The one thing that works well for me are shots of steriods
and pedrizone (a tablet that contains cortizone) but
once I stop taking the stuff my hair starts to fall out again.
It also had other weird side-effects. Warning: this stuff
is dangerous and there are known long term risks.

A good dermitologist will tell you that there is no known
cause for "balding" and one cure is as good as another.

Remember, always see a doctor!.

gary@rochester.UUCP (Gary Cottrell) (02/01/85)

In article <1182@mhuxd.UUCP> tom@mhuxd.UUCP (GLINOS) writes:

>A good dermitologist will tell you that there is no known
>cause for "balding" and one cure is as good as another.
>
>Remember, always see a doctor!.

It seems to me the best cure for balding (easy for me to say) is to accept it.

gary cottrell	(allegra or seismo)!rochester!gary  (UUCP)
		gary@rochester (ARPA)