[net.med] Back Trouble

suhre@trwrba.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (01/16/85)

Rolfing is a bodywork process which stretches the fascia and
musculature.  The recipient generally experiences a feeling of
looseness and being lighter.  If the back pain is caused by
excessive tension, then I believe Rolfing will help.  I suggest
looking at the before/after pictures in Ida Rolf's book, entitled
Rolfing (surprise).

At the yoga class, the instructress often referred to Mensedich
Corrective Exercises.  I inquired and I believe there is a book
call Have a Healthy Back (or something similar) and the author
was Mensedich.  I don't own the book, and cannot vouch for my
spelling (the pronunciation was "mensa deek").

There was an interview on TV with a Dr. Selna (?) who has recently
published a book.  The gist of his position is that the pain is
real, but is a manifestation of living problems.  Somewhat like
stomach trouble.  This may have been on the MacNeil Lehrer report.
Anyway, his book might be of interest.

Maurice

{decvax,sdcrdcf,hplabs,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (01/21/85)

> Rolfing is a bodywork process which stretches the fascia and
> musculature.  The recipient generally experiences a feeling of
> looseness and being lighter.  If the back pain is caused by
> excessive tension, then I believe Rolfing will help.  I suggest
> looking at the before/after pictures in Ida Rolf's book, entitled
> Rolfing (surprise).

Oh, PLEASE don't try rolfing!  Not if your back already hurts badly.
Rolfing is a very violent rearrangement of muscles, and if you have
something wrong with your back (disk out of place, or some such),
rolfing may make it worse.

If you suspect muscle tension, there's always massage and relaxation
excercizes.  If the back trouble is the result of an injury, you
might try a chiropractor (but, if the first thing the chiropractor
wants to do is sell you $100.00 worth of x-rays, find another
chiropractor, QUICKLY.  A skilled and ethical chiropractor can figure
out what's out of alignment and fix it by feel.)

Yoga and streaching excercises are good, gentle ways to coax your
body into shape.  If you already hurt, you don't want to anything
wild or overly active to stress your already inflamed muscles and
nerves.

Ariel

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/23/85)

> Oh, PLEASE don't try rolfing!  Not if your back already hurts badly.
> Rolfing is a very violent rearrangement of muscles, and if you have
> something wrong with your back (disk out of place, or some such),
> rolfing may make it worse.

	Rolfing is painful.  Try Alexander or Feldenkrais.  Both
are gentle but extremely powerful methods of bodywork.  The work
is on the muscles and not the spine itself.  The theory is the
the spine is flexible and that the way a person carries themselves
is responsible for pain.

	Feldenkrais has had an amazing affect on my entire posture.
At one time my feet pointed more outwards.  This forces my pelivis
in a weird postion.  It has not caused me any problems, but when
I was taking lessons in non-verbal communication from a mime, he
pointed it out and suggested a chiropracter.   I met a person that
does Feldenkrais work and in one session my feet started pointing
forward like they should and my whole body evened out.

	My wife has serious scoliosious (curved spine).   Only a few
sessions have almost permenently straightened her out.

	It is the opinion of people who do Feldenkrais body
work or Alexander body word, that chiropracters are dangerous.
They actually manipulate the skeleton and can cause serious
permenent damage.   Straightening the skelton fixes the symptom,
not the cause.

	Feldenkrais wrote a book of exercises called:

	Awarness Through Movement
	Moshe Feldenkrais
	Harper and Row

	He wrote a book that is about  his basic philosophy with
some exercises called:

	The Elusive Obvious
	Moshe Feldenkrais

	this book and a book about the Feldenkrais method,
"The Feldenkrais Method: Teaching by Handling", by Rywerant
are available from:

	Grinder, DeLozier & Associates
	110 Kenny Court
	Santa Cruz, Calif. 95065

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (andrea) (02/24/85)

>but, if the first thing the chiropractor
>wants to do is sell you $100.00 worth of x-rays, find another
>chiropractor, QUICKLY.  A skilled and ethical chiropractor can figure
>out what's out of alignment and fix it by feel.)
>
>Ariel

Ariel, my experience with chiropractors tends to bear this out, except
for an important exception:  the most skillful, ethical, and intuitive
chiropractor will still want an xray (and be happy to accept a recent
one which another doctor took!) if he suspects there has been a herniated
or ruptured disk, or an actual break in the bones.  If you have been
previously given a clean bill of health from an MD, so that it is clear
that the problem is in the skeletal alignment and attendant muscle tension,
rather than physical damage, then asking for an x-ray is either a money-
making ploy or a coverup for lack of palpation skills.

>	It is the opinion of people who do Feldenkrais body
>work or Alexander body word, that chiropracters are dangerous.
>They actually manipulate the skeleton and can cause serious
>permenent damage.   Straightening the skelton fixes the symptom,
>not the cause.
>
>Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

Don, I've heard this one before...I'd like to address it, because many
people who could benefit from chiropractic have been kept from it by
myths and distortions.

First, they do manipulate the skeleton.  So does any masseuse, so do you
when you do a yoga stretch.  If the chiropractor is trained and licensed,
he (or she) has the knowledge and skill to avoid doing damage.  Avoiding
chiropractors because they manipulate skeletons is like avoiding surgeons
because they cut people up -- in both cases, you want to make sure the
practitioner knows exactly what they're doing, and in neither case would
you undergo treatment without good cause, but in both cases there are
problems which are suitably treated that way.

The more modern chiropractors have been learning zero-force techniques,
which consists of leading the person gently through motions that create
enough space for the bones to spontaneously rearrange themselves into
more functional, less painful configurations.  I have never known anyone
to be damaged by this kind of adjustment.

As for the symptom vs. the cause - that's a classic chicken-and-egg problem,
and any GOOD chiropractor will tell you point blank that the adjustment
will not hold unless you do exercises and/or get therapy to correct the
mis-use of your body which either led to it or has resulted from living
with the misalignment.  Because the causality works both ways:  when your
spine is misaligned, all of the muscles in the region are unnaturally
stressed.  Some will be overly stretched and become weak, and some will
be compressed and contracted.   Without followup work (yoga, massage,
Trager, Feldenkrais, Alexander, Hellerwork, etc), the maladapted muscles will
pull the spine back into the unpleasant conformation.  Sometimes the muscle
imbalance causes the spinal misalignment, and sometimes the spinal misalignment
comes first (as in sudden wrenching of the back, auto accidents, etc.).

I'm delighted to hear that your experience with Feldenkrais was so effective!
It seems to me that the repatterning work like this is more effective on
chronic postural imbalances than chiropractic, and that both chiropractic and
repatterning are useful for acute problems (such as whiplash).

One other thing I'd like to mention in passing - I hope this is not the
case with the practitioners you are working with, but I have noticed a
distressing tendency for practitioners to denigrate any modality other
than their own.  It's bad enough having to deal with the AMA
bad-mouthing everyone except their own, and trying underhanded tactics
to put homeopaths, chiropractors, and anyone else they can target out
of business.  (Although this is starting to change -- there are more
and more MD's who embrace all forms of health care, in the interest of
helping their patients as much as possible.) It's even worse when it
happens in the "alternative health" field, since all of the modalities
complement each other, and we have so much to gain by broadening rather
than narrowing our experience.

Remember the old saw, "to a man with only a hammer, the whole world
looks like a nail"?  As I worked my way through the Holistic Health
Practitioner program at Mueller College (about 1200 hours), I took
classes and workshops in many different techniques -- and in many
different paradigms.  The Trager instructors derided "plowing up
muscles", the macrobiotic instructors dismiss everything as irrelevent
or secondary except for diet (just about everything seems to be caused
by an excess of meat or sugar, in their eyes - down to ankle sprain),
the psychologists explained anything and everything with P_A_C
diagrams, the deep tissue folks believed that anything that didn't hurt
probably wasn't helping, the reflexologists believed they could cure
all kinds of ailments by breaking up crystals around the nerve-endings
in the feet, the clinical ecologists thought that most everything that
hurt was an allergic reaction to something, the spiritual healers knew
for a fact that all physical ailments were caused by blocked chakras,
the movement therapists believed the body would rearrange itself if
used properly, and the teachers in various oriental healing arts
concluded that most problems were stagnant chi.

And you know what?  they were all right, and they were all wrong.
Every single one of them had techniques which were useful, and theories
which explained some people's dis-ease better than anyone else.  And not
one of their paradigms was totally sufficient for all cases.

Being eager to learn, but unwilling to turn off my rational mind, the
conclusion I came to was that that maps are not the territory, that
even putting all possible maps together falls short of the territory,
and that the most beneficial approach was to apply one's native intelligence
and problem-solving skills to selecting the most appropriate map to use
for the problem at hand.  (After all, a Thomas Brothers' map isn't much
help when you're prospecting for gold, and a geological survey map won't
get you to the airport on time.)  The worst fallacy we can fall into is
believing that anything not on our map is not real or useful.

(whew!  I think you hit a trigger point, there... I didn't mean this as
a personal vendetta, and I want you to know that I have a great deal of
respect for what Feldenkrais practitioners can do.  It is useful, however,
to occasionally question how and why it serves people to denigrate other
ways of doing things.  As for how it serves me to spend my time expounding
on these matters to the ghosts in the machine, well --
I've gotten hooked on map collecting! ;->

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 487-4100 x4664
net:  {allegra|ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea

 ...searchlights casting for faults in the clouds of delusion