[net.med] Asprirn

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (02/28/85)

I hear on the news today that giving aspirin to a child who has the
cold or a flu could result in the child getting reise (sp) syndrom.
The actual news containing part was about whether a warning label
should be put on bottles of aspirin or not, the health of the children
did not seem to be news worth talking about.  With all the discussion
about people giving advice about non-proven forms of treatment possibly
causing harm to people, how many people are harmmed each day by proven
forms of medicine, like aspirin in this case.

As an aside, willow bark works like aspirin, it is mild on the stomach
and it is natural.  I use it occationally and it works very well (I
never use aspirin).  Has your doctor ever recommended willow bark for
a headache?

	{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

mlf@panda.UUCP (Matt L. Fichtenbaum) (03/01/85)

>I hear on the news today that giving aspirin to a child who has the
>cold or a flu could result in the child getting reise (sp) syndrom.

>...how many people are harmmed each day by proven
>forms of medicine, like aspirin in this case.

>As an aside, willow bark works like aspirin, it is mild on the stomach
>and it is natural.

   Reye's syndrome (I've heard it pronounced "rye") is a serious, potentially
fatal disease/inflammation of the brain.  It *appears* that it is more likely
to occur in a child who has chicken pox or, I think, the flu, and that
giving a child aspirin for these diseases increases the Reye's risk.  While
the exact cause of Reye's is not yet known, there's enough indication about
the aspirin risk to justify printing a warning label.  Our pediatrician
(and other references) suggest using something like Tylenol in place of
aspirin in children.

   I miss the point with willow bark.  It may contain salicylates that give
it its anti-inflammatory effect; in that case it's not significantly
different from aspirin.  And I don't see what its being "natural" has to
do with anything.  Many common prescription drugs are derived from things
that occur in nature; also, many things that occur in nature are
demonstrably bad for humans - examples are curare, poison ivy, lions [:-)].

--

					Matt Fichtenbaum
					"Our job is to rescue fires,

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (03/02/85)

> As an aside, willow bark works like aspirin, it is mild on the stomach
> and it is natural.  I use it occationally and it works very well (I
> never use aspirin).  Has your doctor ever recommended willow bark for
> a headache?

Willow bark (*white* willow bark, that is) is high in salicin, one of the
base compounds from which aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is derived. In
fact, the name salicin comes from the family name of willows, Salix. A
willow bark infusion has been used since the ancient Greeks for treatment
of pain. Other plant sources of salicin and methylsalicylate include
prickly ash bark, wintergreen, and spirea.

Now, about Reye's syndrome. This is very often fatal if not recognised
and treated immediately. Because of the very close relationship between
aspirin and the above-mentioned botanicals, I would *not* give my kid
any of them. The risk is simply too great.

If you are really interested in the medicinal applications of plants,
I highly recommend getting a copy of Mrs. Grieve's "A Modern Herbal"
from Dover Books. It lists all the important chemical constituents of
several hundred plants common to Europe and North America.

--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

carter@gatech.UUCP (Carter Bullard) (03/03/85)

> As an aside, willow bark works like aspirin, it is mild on the stomach
> and it is natural.  I use it occationally and it works very well (I
> never use aspirin).  Has your doctor ever recommended willow bark for
> a headache?
>
> 	{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

Actually, willow bark contains Salicylin, which is converted to salicylic
acid in the liver.  Commercial aspirin is acetyl salicylic acid, which is
degraded to salicylic acid in the stomach.  In effect, everytime your doctor,
mother, priest or local witch doctor prescribes aspirin, they are actually
prescribing willow bark.

The history of the discovery of aspirin-like compounds is actually quite
fascinating.  The pharmacologic philosophy that was employed to discovery a
natural substance for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis was that 'the cure
for an illness would be found in close proximity to the cause of the disorder.'
So it was thought that the cure for rheumatism would be found in damp, cool
boggy areas, since, at that time, it was thought that this type of environment
was the cause of the disorder.  Lo and behold, the willow tree, which happens
to have an an uncanny habit of growing in swappy bogs, just happened to be
the largest producer of salicylin in the free world, which in the early
1800's quickly replaced the popular dietary therapy, which was completely
ineffective.
--
Carter Bullard
ICS, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA 30332

In article <887@cbdkc1.UUCP> tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) writes:

>As an aside, willow bark works like aspirin, it is mild on the stomach
>and it is natural.  I use it occationally and it works very well (I
>never use aspirin).  Has your doctor ever recommended willow bark for
>a headache?

	But do you know *why* willow bark works, it works because it
contains (surprise!) *aspirin*. Yes indeed, chewing willow bark is
*almost* the same as taking an aspirin tablet. The main difference is
that with the tablet you know what dose you are getting, with willow
bark you don't.
	This is quite a normal sort of thing, a std medication also
being found in nature(e.g also Pennicilin).
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen