[net.med] diabetics in college

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (03/23/85)

Hello, I have a new subject which I'm hoping you may have time to respond
to:
I have type I (juvenile) diabetes, under moderately good control, and am
currently in my 3rd year at Reed College in Portland, Oregon. A lot of
people(non-medically trained, non-diabetics) here have called me "crazy"
for having an educational/career goal (B.A. and, if things work out, grad.
school in chemistry) since I am technically handicapped. Others admire my
determination to buck the odds and pursue my goal anyway. Their opinions
aside, I'm determined to get that degree, and get employed. Do any of you
have any suggestions to improve my chances? I'm especially interested in
how one deals with telling professors, potential employers, etc. that one
is NOT what is considered "normally healthy" and yes, that it CAN interfere
with ability to perform, but that *I* think I'm worth the risk.