[net.med] Neurotransmitters

jjo@asgb.UUCP (Jeff Oliver) (03/23/85)

There has been a significant amount of discussion recently about the addictive
potential of diazepam etc.  I think that there is a more fundamental issue here
as to what exactly is addiction, why do some people have 'addictive
personalities', and what is homeostasis.

There seems to be mounting evidence that a great deal of behaviour is
determined by neurotransmitters.  This may be no revelation to most, but I
propose that a great deal of individual differences are determined by subtle
variations in the activity or concentration of various neurotransmitters
across a population.

It seems that schizophrenia may be associated with abnormal levels of
serotonin, mania with acetylcholine, and depression with nor-epinephrine (this
is, admittedly, over simplified). It also seems reasonable to believe that
these effects exist on a continuum, that most of us fall somewhere on this
continuum, and that where we reside on this multi-dimensional surface
determines our personality.

Consider that an individual posseses a slightly
diminished capacity to produce nor-epinephrine at the synapse, this individual
feels subjectively slightly anxious and apprehensive constantly. The
individual feels that something is wrong although there appears to be no
external cause.  Therefore, the individual may learn that certain substances
(diazepam, amphetamine, etc.) can relieve the anxiety, thereby 'returning' this
individual to a state of homeostasis.

In this instance, can we really state
that this person has an addictive personality, or that he is addicted at all?
Could it be that the desire to consume substances which alter the relative
activities of certain neurotransmitters is merely an attempt by the nervous
system to reach a state of balance that was denied by heredity or environment?
And given that some individuals are born with this balance (read 'sense of well
being') is it not surprising that others will attempt to attain it?

Can physics be immoral?

J. Oliver
Burroughs ASG - Boulder

rbg@cbosgd.UUCP (Richard Goldschmidt) (03/25/85)

> It seems that schizophrenia may be associated with abnormal levels of
> serotonin       J. Oliver    Burroughs ASG - Boulder

There is substantially more evidence that schizophrenia is related to dopamine
disfunction than to serotonin.  The drugs most effective in treating it are
dopamine blocking agents, and a specific pathway (the meso-limbic dopamine
system) has been implicated.  There is probably more than one kind of
schizophrenia, so this explanation is also an over-simplification, but
there is also considerable evidence from identical twin studies for a
genetic predisposition to schizophrenia.

> Could it be that the desire to consume substances which alter the relative
> activities of certain neurotransmitters is merely an attempt by the nervous
> system to reach a state of balance that was denied by heredity or
> environment?

While this may account for some cases of addiction there are probably other
mechanisms at work.

> Can physics be immoral?

Morality is defined by cultures, not physics or biology.  Is being
addicted to caffeine or nicotine immoral?  Not at the present time in
our culture...
--
Rich Goldschmidt     {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax,allegra,ulysses} !cbosgd!rbg
		     ARPA:  cbosgd!rbg@ucbvax

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (03/29/85)

In article <994@cbosgd.UUCP> rbg@cbosgd.UUCP (Richard Goldschmidt) writes:
>                              There is probably more than one kind of
>schizophrenia, so this explanation is also an over-simplification, but
>there is also considerable evidence from identical twin studies for a
>genetic predisposition to schizophrenia.

The symptoms associated with schizophrenia are apparently  generated  by  a
fairly broad range of disorders.  Hence such disparate cures as megavitamin
therapy, massive doses of phenothiazines, and electroshock, most  of  which
work in some cases but none in all cases.

The  twin  studies  demonstrated  a  genetic  predisposition  but  it  only
accounted  for  ~14%  of the variance.  Early environmental factors were of
greater importance (eg: being raised by/in a schizophrenic family).
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe