[net.med] olive oil

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (03/20/85)

I recently heard on NPR that olive oil was found to reduce the amount
of cholesterol in the blood.  Has anyone else heard anything more solid
on this?
Nemo

eagan@druxp.UUCP (EaganMS) (03/21/85)

I have heard that it is the polyunsaturated oils that reduce cholesterol.
As far as I know olive oil is not one of these oils.
Perhaps there is something else in olive oil that reducses cholesterol?
One such polyunsaturated oil is corn oil.

lazeldes@wlcrjs.UUCP (Leah A Zeldes) (04/04/85)

In article <714@druxp.UUCP> eagan@druxp.UUCP (EaganMS) writes:
>I have heard that it is the polyunsaturated oils that reduce cholesterol.
>As far as I know olive oil is not one of these oils.

Recent studies have indicated that monounsaturates do the same thing as
polyunsaturates.  Olive oil is a monounsaturated oil.

That's all I know about this -- I read it in a newspaper filler article.
--

					Leah A Zeldes
					...ihnp4!wlcrjs!lazeldes

[Note: Chi-net is about to go off-line for an unknown amount of time.
Please send responses by regular mail to 2007 W. Howard, Evanston, IL 60202]