[net.med] nonoxynol-9

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (04/11/85)

I think Rusty should give the "Colonel" a call so they can entertain each
other with their frat-house jokes.

On a more serious note, is anyone else as appalled as I am about the
recent promotion of nonoxynol-9-containing lubricants/spermicides as
actually PREVENTING AIDS?  Even a supposedly well-meaning person like
Bruce Voeller, a fairly well-known gay activist, is promoting this stuff
through an organization known as the "Mariposa Foundation."

It is a very very far cry from noting that nonoxynol-9 inactivates
HTLV-3 virus in vitro to recommending it as a prophylactic measure
during sex.  We simply DON'T KNOW what kind of effect it may have
on the spread of AIDS--it might as easily facilitate its spread through
some bizarre surface-active effect on mucous membranes.  People who use
an agent like this as an excuse to return to dangerous sex practices
are being deceived in the worst way, and it seems to me that the Mariposa
Foundation and other promoters of nonoxynol-9 should be on hand to sign
the death certificates if any should contract AIDS.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (04/12/85)

In article <150@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:

>On a more serious note, is anyone else as appalled as I am about the
>recent promotion of nonoxynol-9-containing lubricants/spermicides as
>actually PREVENTING AIDS?  Even a supposedly well-meaning person like
>Bruce Voeller, a fairly well-known gay activist, is promoting this stuff
>through an organization known as the "Mariposa Foundation."
>
>... and it seems to me that the Mariposa
>Foundation and other promoters of nonoxynol-9 should be on hand to sign
>the death certificates if any should contract AIDS.

It seems to me that they are opening themselves up for a good lawsuit
(and maybe ?criminal charges?? - maybe there's lawyer on the net who can
tell us).
--

Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell, San Francisco, California
{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (04/16/85)

Caveat: Nonoxynol-9 inhibits the replication of HTLV-3 in Vitro.

3 things:
1.  Inhibit the replication of is not the same as killing. The virus
	could still conceivably be passed and later wreak havoc.
2.  In-vitro and in-vivo are two different things, and with something like
	AIDS, self-experimentation is a bad idea.
3.  The stuff itself is Cytotoxic.  It itself is not exactly healthful.

Steve Dyer's point cannot be overstressed. There is no proof that the stuff
will prevent AIDS - none.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner