[net.med] Now What?

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (04/05/85)

  Since so many people wrote to me and asked to keep them posted, I felt
  that I should break away long enough to send an update.  (I have been
  hacking on a program for a few days to get SOME form of exercise)

  As I had said I would, I went back to the doctor's to get the cast
  tightened or a new one put on. However, once they got it tighter and we
  all agreed that since it STILL wasn't holding me in place there wasn't
  any reason to leave it on so, they took it off. Boy, what a whimp my right
  leg is now.

  The doctor ended up giving me a shot of glucose in my back, right next
  to my spine and about 1 1/2 inches up from my tail bone.  The doctor
  said that sometimes putting glucose in the immediate area helps to speed
  up the healing. The problem is that now, I can't wear the hip support,
  which is supposed to help hold me in place. (my back is REAL sore now
  from the shot) The guys in the cast room said that it sounded like I broke
  loose what they called the S.I. joint. (I injured myself while I was dancing.
  I had forgotten that I only WANTED to be a ballerina, I never really was.)

  Tomorrow, I have an appointment of go to see a different doctor. I am
  getting real tired of this guy telling me to "give it a few more weeks and
  see how you feel". They have been telling me that for almost 5 months now.

  As for what I AM doing for my injury, now that I'm out of the cast.
  I try to take my vitamins at least twice a day with my meals. (I take a
  good balance of B's and minerals. I've been on a health kick for about 6
  years now)
  I take short walks, to help strengthen the muscles. (my walks are REAL short.
  My back hurts so much in such a  short time, that I head home after about 3
  blocks or so)
  I am supposed to where that hip support which is about 5 inches wide and
  really doesn't help much. I still find that I have to put things back into
  place pretty often. I have switched to just using a gentle pressure with
  my fist to push it back. (it moves that easy)
  I also try to avoid doing anything which involves bending at the waist or
  sitting. (I'm only 32 and had been QUITE active and I find this to be the
  most frustrating thing to deal with.)

  Well, I'll let you know if this other doctor has any new suggestions for me.
  I'm still looking for that magic answer.

andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (andrea) (04/17/85)

I know it will sound wacko to many people, but you might try
acupuncture.  The explanation usually given as to why it works
is that it is stimulating the body's own healing energy and
removes energetic blocks in the "fourth circulatory system"
(chi or energy).

Whether or not you buy the explanation, many people have
experienced relief from pain (in fact, most insurance companies
will pay for acupuncture if it is for pain relief); I have
also heard of a few cases where a slow-healing injury was
speeded up with it.

A fully licensed and accredited doctor of acupuncture is quite
safe - they sterilize everything, and know EXACTLY where they're
poking.

By the way, the treatment doesn't necessarily have to be in the
area of the injury, it can be elsewhere on the same meridian
that runs through the injured area.  This means that you can have
an acupuncture treatment on the ear, even if you go back into the
cast.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 487-4100 x4664
{allegra|amdahl|ames|ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax|gatech|Shasta}!hplabs!hp-sdd!andrea
                                                       sdcsvax!hp-sdd!andrea
   						     hp-sdd!andrea@UCSD.ARPA
 ...searchlights casting for faults in the clouds of delusion

In article <8000025@hp-sdd.UUCP> andrea@hp-sdd.UUCP (andrea) writes:

>I know it will sound wacko to many people, but you might try
>acupuncture.  The explanation usually given as to why it works
>is that it is stimulating the body's own healing energy and
>removes energetic blocks in the "fourth circulatory system"
>(chi or energy).

	This is the *traditional* Chinese explanation. Recent research
here in the US has produced evidence that it *does* work, but in an
entirely different way.  It seems to be related to the production
of natural opiates(called Endorphins) under the stimulation of the
needle. It also appears that electrical stimulation may be
substituted for twirling the needle.
	At least this is what I have heard, is anyone out there
more familiar with current research on this?
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen