[net.med] re Re Re new anithistamine w/o side effects

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (05/20/85)

> From: werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner)
>
> > The FDA has just approved a new antihistamine preparation which
> > DOESN'T cause any side-effects, especially drowsiness.  I don't know
> > much about it yet.  If it's different enough not to cause the
> > typical side-effects, it must be a new pharmacological entity,
> > which means it hasn't had the benefit of 25-odd years of clinical
> > experience.  Unless you really cannot take a tried-and-true
> > antihistamine, it might be best to stick to one.
> > /Steve Dyer
>
> The new antihistamine (new as in FDA approval) differs from all the others
> in that it does not seem to cross the blood brain barrier as readily as
> most now commonly available, and hence should cause as many central Nervous
> system effects, such as loss of coordination and drowsiness.
> 	As far as clinical experience, it has been approved in Canada for
> 10 years, and is the best selling prescription antihistamine available in
> that country.  So, while the name is still not coming to me, I'd trust it
> when it becomes available here.

The drug in question is Terfenadine (sold under the name of Seldane)
I have been using it now for just over a year.  (I'm allergic to trees,grasses,
furs,dust,moulds, you name it...)
In Ontario,Canada it is available WITHOUT prescription, is a 12hr pill
(in reality for me, 8hrs) unlike most other antihistamines which claim 4-6hrs
(2-4hrs for me)
I can vouch for the no-drowsies, works very well for congestion, etc.
Another side-effect Seldane doesn't have (sigh, too bad :-) is it doesnt
seem to react with alcohol, unlike those NICE traditional anithistamines... :-)

Hummmm, am I lucky or unlucky to live in a country that approves a drug
10 years before good ole USofA ?? :-) :-)

          - Ken Dykes
            Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
            Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
            {clyde,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes