[net.med] Placebos can cause cancer

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (05/15/85)

	Some years ago in the United States it was argued that since Rheumatoid
arthritis was caused by the body's immune system attacking itself that
suppressing the immune system would relieve some of the symptoms of the
disease.
	This was tried, and sure enough, about 30% of the people recovered
from Rheumatoid arthritis during the course of the study.

	Now in England, they didn't like the way the study was done, so they
got 60 people with Rheumatoid arthritis and immunosuppressed half of them.
The other half got a placebo - a fake pill.
	As in the US,  30% treated got better.  Unfortunately for the study,
30% of the placebo group got better as well.  (This may help to explain why
copper bracelets help about 1/3 of all arthritics -- about 1/3 will be
helped by anything.)  Therefore, immunosuppression was declared a worthless
treatment -- why treat the patient and increase the risk of infection if
just telling the patient that you're treating them will do just as well.

	Several years later, the evidence began to accumulate that treatment
was some immunosuppressive drugs increased the risk of cancer.  The physicians
in England said, "Oh no, we exposed these patients to needless risk, etc."
and then they went back to follow the cohort they had studied for 5 years.
	Much to their dismay, 5 of the 60 people had developed cancer within
the 10 years post-study. This is much higher than would be expected.

	However, much to their suprise and relief, all of the 5 cancers were
in the placebo group and none were in the group that actually got the drug
that was suspect.  In other words, all 5 cancers were caused by random
chance and had nothing to do with the study.
	Had chance fallen the other way,  the drug would most probably have
been banned and lawsuits continuing to this day.

	Does placebo cause cancer?  No, of course not.  It cannot.  If starch
and gelatin caused cancer we'd all be shapeless masses of lymphoma by now.

	Thus ends part three of my didactic diatribe in partial defense of
Western Allopathic medicine.  Comments always welcome.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/20/85)

>	Much to their dismay, 5 of the 60 people had developed cancer within
>the 10 years post-study. This is much higher than would be expected.
>
>	Does placebo cause cancer?  No, of course not.  It cannot.  If starch
>and gelatin caused cancer we'd all be shapeless masses of lymphoma by now.
>
>				Craig Werner
>				!philabs!aecom!werner
>		What do you expect?  Watermelons are out of season!

Just EXACTLY what is in those "placebos", anyway?  Are they 100.00000% pure?
Are all placebos used in all experiments always the same?

If 5-in-60 is much higher than would be expected, than what *is*
the explaination?  Is the small sample size sufficient to account for this?

Perhaps we could take up a collection and ship poor Craig a watermelon
before he posts any more of this nonsense.

The Earth revolve around the Sun?  No, of course not.  It cannot.

				Snoopy
				tektronix!mako!seifert
	What do you expect?  The Scientific Method is out of season!

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (05/22/85)

> 	Does placebo cause cancer?  No, of course not.  It cannot.  If starch
> and gelatin caused cancer we'd all be shapeless masses of lymphoma by now.
>
> 	Thus ends part three of my didactic diatribe in partial defense of
> Western Allopathic medicine.  Comments always welcome.

> 				Craig Werner

Perhaps not so obviously an 'on course not.'.  That sounds so
final, so sure.  Was there no coloring in the placebo capsule?
Was there nothing in the packaging and delivery materials?  Was
this truely chance?  I don't know.  I would wager that you
also cannot *really* know.  We can only make a hypothesis and test it.

It would be interesting to repeat the test with several different
placebos... could explain a large number of anomalies in testing
if the color in the gelatin of our 'placebos' was not inert...

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

Tilapia Zilli is the way and the light.

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (05/22/85)

> >				Craig Werner
> >				!philabs!aecom!werner
> >		What do you expect?  Watermelons are out of season!
>
> Perhaps we could take up a collection and ship poor Craig a watermelon
> before he posts any more of this nonsense.
>
> The Earth revolve around the Sun?  No, of course not.  It cannot.
>
> 				Snoopy
> 				tektronix!mako!seifert
> 	What do you expect?  The Scientific Method is out of season!

Hmmm, this raises an interesting point.  Where is Craig?  Here in
sunny California (The Land of Fruits and Nuts) watermelons *ARE*
in season!!!  Does this mean that a change of .signature is in
the wind?
--

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (05/22/85)

In article <1273@hammer.UUCP> seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:

>Just EXACTLY what is in those "placebos", anyway?  Are they 100.00000% pure?
>Are all placebos used in all experiments always the same?

No.  They have to  simulate  different  conditions,  after  all.  Some  are
injected, some are taken orally, some are applied topically, etc.

>If 5-in-60 is much higher than would be expected, than what *is*
>the explaination?  Is the small sample size sufficient to account for this?

~sigh~ I wish they'd make  courses  in  introductory  statistical  analysis
requirements for graduation.  Then maybe people would have some idea of how
experimentation and scientific method works.

The explanation for the higher than normal cancer rate among  the  controls
in  quoted experiment is probably normal statistical variance.  It might be
a good idea to check this out by replicating the  experiment  (that's  what
Master's theses are for (-: ).  If the same thing happened again, _then_ it
would be a good idea to start checking into the cancer  causing  properties
of the placebos.  An even easier method would be to research the literature
and check out the cancer rate among subjects given  the  same  placebos  in
other experiments.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/23/85)

A general query about controlled experiments, inspired by the subject
discussion:

If you are testing a truly effective medication, say for some serious
disease or condition, and are conducting a blind or double-blind test
where some participants get placebos and some the medication, and a
number of the control group die because they got only placebos, while
all the test subjects survive because this experimental medication was
really effective, have you not violated the Hippocratic oath (and also
laid yourself open for damages, no matter what you had the participants
sign), by denying this (admittedly experimental) medication to people
who could possibly have been saved by it?

I recognize the necessity for testing before drugs or treatments are
made available; there are both scientific and legal requirements for such
testing. Yet I always wonder about those in these "control" groups;
they aren't subject to the risks of the tested substance, but cannot
get any possible benefits, either.

I would think these considerations would make controlled testing
for truly-life-saving treatments practically impossible to carry out.
Am I right in this supposition?

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (05/24/85)

In article <10970@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>If you are testing a truly effective medication, say for some serious
>disease or condition, and are conducting a blind or double-blind test
>where some participants get placebos and some the medication, and a
>number of the control group die because they got only placebos, while
>all the test subjects survive because this experimental medication was
>really effective, have you not violated the Hippocratic oath (and also
>laid yourself open for damages, no matter what you had the participants
>sign), by denying this (admittedly experimental) medication to people
>who could possibly have been saved by it?

Usually if there is any effective treatment for a condition at all, the new
treatment  will be compared to the effects of the old treatment rather than
to a  placebo  control.  This  is  especially  true  with  life-threatening
diseases.  It  is  still possible, of course, that some patients on the old
treatment will die for lack of the new treatment.  The  rationale  here  is
that  there  is  no  way  to  know  if the new treatment is better, or even
effective at all, until the experiment is  performed.  Preliminary  studies
with  animals  may  well lead the experimenters to expect so, but the final
proof must be with human subjects.

This whole area of experimental  ethics  is  very  complex  and  there  are
abuses.  Questions  arise  with regard to coercion and what is a volunteer.
This is  why  prison  inmates  are  seldom  used  as  subjects  even  on  a
"volunteer"  basis.  They  may  be  doing it to get brownie points on their
records and this is interpreted by some  to  be  coercion  (if  they  don't
volunteer,   they   may  stay  in  prison  longer).   It's  also  why  most
Universities no longer allow graduate  psychology  students  to  experiment
with  freshman  Intro.  Psych.  students (my alma mater still does, but the
experiments have to meet very rigid standards and be approved by a  faculty
ethics committee).

Finally, for an example of a case where placebos are totally inappropriate,
I cite the infamous L.A.P.D. "Goat Study":

Seems the L.A.  Police wanted to test out some new-type bullet proof  vests
to  see  if  they  were  really  more  effective.  So, they got some goats,
wrapped them in the new vests, and opened fire at them.  Of course they had
to  have a control group, and they did -- goats without bullet proof vests.
Not  surprisingly,  the  results  of  the  experiment  were   statistically
significant (very).

Obviously, the controls should have been wearing the old-type vests for the
experiment  to be meaningful.  Fortunately, the P.D. didn't have the budget
to do testing with human subjects.

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/25/85)

In article <10970@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>A general query about controlled experiments, inspired by the subject
>discussion:
>
>If you are testing a truly effective medication, say for some serious
>disease or condition, and are conducting a blind or double-blind test
>where some participants get placebos and some the medication, and a
>number of the control group die because they got only placebos, while
>all the test subjects survive because this experimental medication was
>really effective, have you not violated the Hippocratic oath (and also
>laid yourself open for damages, no matter what you had the participants
>sign), by denying this (admittedly experimental) medication to people
>who could possibly have been saved by it?
>I would think these considerations would make controlled testing
>for truly-life-saving treatments practically impossible to carry out.
>Am I right in this supposition?

There have been cases where the results were quite dramatic,
and the experiment cut short and the control group given the
experimental treatment.

Experiments don't have to give binary lived/died results to
be useful.

Snoopy
tektronix!mako!seifert