[net.music] net.music.lobotomy

rar@bridge2.UUCP (03/09/85)

> -ps This one really WAS different:
>
> >>  The whole of Arthur Brown's album "The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown"...
>
>    Does anyone else like his version of `I Put a Spell on You' on this
>    very hard-to-find record?

Of course, it was the best cover of this song. Arthur Brown's voice
was more *soulful* that than the original. And besides his antics
were even stranger. In fact on a TV show when this album was released
he even had a flaming headband when he sang Fire. Though in later
albums he fell pray to drum machines, but then success do seem to
spoil some performers.
--
Robert Rogers
Bridge Communications, Inc.

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (03/12/85)

It sure sounds like everybody has the same 50 albums...  Don't people
think the subject over for even 30 seconds before posting?  It really
doesn't take that much perception to realize that any popular album
which you enjoy is going to be enjoyed by 1153 other nettoids as well,
and it will be extremely difficult to make your fervently composed
appreciation of same sound different from the 1153 previous such
appreciations.  I like some of the pieces too, but reading dozens of
articles with essentially the same content gets to be rather wearing.

I certainly don't have any of the albums which Michael Ellis mentions.
I have one which might conceivably fall in the category, namely Fred
Frith's GRAVITY.  This album not only has a very eclectic selection of
musical styles, and runs through several in an individual piece, it
frequently plays multiple styles simultaneously.  The first time I
heard it (on a late-night KPFK broadcast which I could just barely pick
up in San Diego), I felt certain that I was hearing three radio
stations at once...  Despite this, I like the album.

One more item in my weird music collection,

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/16/85)

> I'm sort of curious, I try but cannot recall any decent, LONG punk/core
> tunes. Take the Ramones and the Minute Men - no songs longer than 3 minutes.
> Husker Duu have some extended cuts but then they have sort of transcended
> the genre. Flux of Pink Indians songs are occasionally a side long but
> they are more experimentalist in nature. Does anyone (Rosen?) have
> any suggestions for extended thrash??  [ANDREW HUDSON]

Asking if *I* have suggestions for extended thrash is the surest way to get
David Levadie to send you a letterbomb.  I *do* have one suggestion that's
not quite "thrash" but could have been:  Siouxsie & the Banshees' "The Lord's
Prayer" from Join Hands.  It's really horrible, in a benign sort of way.
I spent four hours dancing to it for twenty minutes at Hurrah in NYC when that
was still around.

Of course, you could always loop through Flipper's "Brainwash" single if you
want a really extended piece (but you probably need an automatic repeating
turntable to do that, and true punks don't have such things, right, Davidl?
(What's that? You play them on CD? ...)
--
Otology recapitulates phonology.
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

6615lp13@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (03/21/85)

In article <1375@utah-gr.UUCP> donn@utah-gr.UUCP writes:
>It sure sounds like everybody has the same 50 albums...  Don't people
>think the subject over for even 30 seconds before posting?  It really
>doesn't take that much perception to realize that any popular album
>which you enjoy is going to be enjoyed by 1153 other nettoids as well,
>and it will be extremely difficult to make your fervently composed
>appreciation of same sound different from the 1153 previous such
>appreciations.  I like some of the pieces too, but reading dozens of
>articles with essentially the same content gets to be rather wearing.
>
>I certainly don't have any of the albums which Michael Ellis mentions.
>I have one which might conceivably fall in the category, namely Fred
>Frith's GRAVITY.  This album not only has a very eclectic selection of
>musical styles, and runs through several in an individual piece, it
>frequently plays multiple styles simultaneously.  The first time I
>heard it (on a late-night KPFK broadcast which I could just barely pick
>up in San Diego), I felt certain that I was hearing three radio
>stations at once...  Despite this, I like the album.
>
>One more item in my weird music collection,
>
>Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
>40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

   Of course there'll be duplicate albums.What good is a poll if none
 of the poll readers know anything about the responses? I'm sure there
 are trillions of us who have some esoteric tastes in artists who are
 only known within a two mile radius but is it worth discussing these
 artists with people who've never had the chance to hear them? One of
 the most annoying (no flames!!) aspects of this net is the presence
 of discussions about under ground-artists who have only been heard by
 three of us.The rest just stare at the screen.

                                                Larry Palena
                                     St. Joseph's University
              {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!6615lp13