[net.med] Is there any benefit in African Medicine

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (05/03/85)

<<<<<>>>>>

Artical repeated for the benifit of net.med readers...

In article <315@link.UUCP> aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) writes:
>Before colonization started in African countries, there
>were native people (called traditional doctors) who heal
>sick people. Unfortunately, most of these techniques were
>lost during the colonial period. Now, there is a strong
>attempt in most African Universities to see if they
>recover the lost knowledge. So far the attempt has been
>quite succesful. I should say here that, I am not
>advocating that we should ignore the current Western
>approach of medicine. The point I like us to share
>is, Can we learn anything from the ways African
>Doctors treat sick people? For example, it has proved
>that the reason why african people have less dental
>people is because they eat more calcium food and because
>they use a combination of chewing stick and brush to
>clean their mouth. As a matter of fact, my dentist ask
>me to bring a couple of chewing stick when next I visit
>any African country. Is this theory true?
>

>African method of treatment depends heavily on herbs.
>However, there are no dosage and no proper documentation
>to pass knowledge to the younger generation. Does anybody
>have any knowledge on how to pass these knowledge to
>the western countries without any distortion?
>
>Wale Akinpelu
>{allegra!ihnp4,hou2a}!link!aaa

       I was very pleased to see a subject near and dear to me show
       up this early in a news group.

       There is certainly much to be gained by studying any form of
       natural medicine.  Some of us have been contributing to
       net.med our natural approach to problems and we receive lots
       of responses telling us we should not be giving un-proven
       information to people.

       There are people who are very interested in the historical
       uses of herbs.  Its takes a person a great deal of time to
       learn their many uses and therefore few are willing to
       invest.  There are doctors which prescribe herbs and
       homeopatic medicines, however it takes some looking to find
       them.

       As for trying to pass this information to the USA good luck.
       There are many people in America who have a wealth of
       information that few want.  When I advise people to see
       a naturalpathic doctor they usually make jokes.  We would
       love to pass our information on to the general public but
       most don't want it, and most doctors are usually unwilling
       to give the information to their patients so that they can
       decide for themselves.  There are some of us on the net, and
       I would be very pleased to hear anything, from any culture,
       on natural healing.  The best way to pass on this
       information seems to be "one person at a time".  The Natural
       Foods Association has been doing a very good, but painfully
       slow job.  And natural doctors must be very careful because
       they are watched closely by the AMA and other groups.

       I haven't heard of this "chewing stick" but would be
       interested if you can supply more information.  The herb,
       Black Walnut, has historically restored tooth enamel.
       Perhaps there is a connection.

       Anybody with information please contribute to this very
       important discussion.

{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

carter@gatech.CSNET (Carter Bullard) (05/06/85)

In article <954@cbdkc1.UUCP> tjs@dkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) writes:

>       As for trying to pass this information to the USA good luck.
>       There are many people in America who have a wealth of
>       information that few want.  When I advise people to see
>       a naturalpathic doctor they usually make jokes.  We would
>       love to pass our information on to the general public but
>       most don't want it, and most doctors are usually unwilling
>       to give the information to their patients so that they can
>       decide for themselves.  There are some of us on the net, and
>       I would be very pleased to hear anything, from any culture,
>       on natural healing.  The best way to pass on this
>       information seems to be "one person at a time".  The Natural
>       Foods Association has been doing a very good, but painfully
>       slow job.  And natural doctors must be very careful because
>       they are watched closely by the AMA and other groups.
>
>       Anybody with information please contribute to this very
>       important discussion.

	Actually, modern medicine is extremely interested in African traditionalist
	medical techniques.  The NSF(  the national science foundation ) has made
	research money available to investigating African medical techniques in the
	form of direct and indirect grants to African medical schools.  Also
	most if not all of the large pharmaceutical firms have ongoing investigations
	into African and South American herbal therapies.

	The reason is very simple.  Less than 15% of the plants on this planet have been
	characterized for their pharmaceutical properties.  Everybody knows that there
	are going to be new drugs to come out of traditionalist's therapy,  and its just
	a matter of time before the compounds are researched and made available.

	The problem that I have with  the statement of Mr. Stanions above, is that
	he thinks that traditionalist African medicine is "natural healing" whereas
	western medical practice is some sort of black magic.

	There really isn't any difference between the two.

Carter Bullard
	School of Information and Computer Science
	Georgia Institute of Technology
	Atlanta, Georgia 30332
	CSNet:Carter @ Gatech	ARPA:Carter.Gatech @ CSNet-relay.arpa
	uucp:...!{akgua,allegra,amd,ihnp4,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!carter

	Please reply with facts, not opinions.
--

aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) (05/07/85)

In article 492 Carter Bullard writes:

>>>The problem that I have with  the statement of Mr. Stanions above, is that
>>>he thinks that traditionalist African medicine is "natural healing" whereas
>>>western medical practice is some sort of black magic.
>>>
>>>There really isn't any difference between the two.

I disagree with you completely. First there is a difference between Arfican
medicine and Western medical practice. In African medicine, while attempt
is made to relieve you of your pain, they also try to find the cause
of the problem which sometimes could be related to a dispute between
people. Second African medicine is "natural
healing". Here is a story to convince you. Mr. XYZ King is from one of the
African countries. He is highly respected and has a high post in the
goverment sector. About 5 years ago, he was told to have terminal cancer
of the stomach from a localized Western hospital. He decided to have
second opinion by checking in into one of the best hospitals in England.
The results of all analysis confirms the earlier diagnosis. He came to U.S.
to seek for another advice based on his son's recommendation. They
tried several hospitals and the results confirmed the initail diagnosis.

He was suppose to have part of his stomach removed to stop the spread
of cancer to other parts of the body. While the serach was going on,
a friend of the family asked the family to consider using a "native
doctor" back at home. Mr. King decided to go back home and use the
native doctor since the Western doctors told him that he only has
about five more years to leave.

Mr. King was with the "native doctor" for 6 months using herbs
which I do not know. He did not have any part of his stomach removed
and he has been bak to normal life since then.

The point here, is that African medicine could not only heal but
also perform better than Western medicine. I must say that both
of them should continue in parallel. The problem I have with
African medicine is that, the practice is not well documented and
there is no assurance that you are dealing with an honest man who
knows his profession.

I am glad Mr. King is still alive.

Wale Akinpelu
{ihnp4,allegra,research}!hou2a!link!aaa

rbg@cbosgd.UUCP (Richard Goldschmidt) (05/07/85)

In article <317@link.UUCP>, Wale Akinpelu (>) replies to Carter Bullard (>>)

>>The problem that I have with  the statement of Mr. Stanions above, is that
>>he thinks that traditionalist African medicine is "natural healing" whereas
>>western medical practice is some sort of black magic.
>>
>>There really isn't any difference between the two.
>>
> I disagree with you completely. First there is a difference between Arfican
> medicine and Western medical practice. In African medicine, while attempt
> is made to relieve you of your pain, they also try to find the cause
> of the problem which sometimes could be related to a dispute between
> people. Second African medicine is "natural healing".
>
> Wale Akinpelu
> {ihnp4,allegra,research}!hou2a!link!aaa

I was not convinced of the difference between "African medicine" and
"Western medicine" by the example Wale gave here.  A common class of drugs
used in chemotherapy (which block cell division) are related to either
colchicine or vinblastine both of which are derived from plants.  The
herbal treatments provided may have had a similar mechanism.  You'll
have to find a better example ...

--
Rich Goldschmidt     {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax,allegra,seismo} !cbosgd!rbg
		     ARPA:  cbosgd!rbg@seismo or cbosgd!rbg@ucbvax

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/08/85)

This kind of discussion crops up regularly in net.med, but it's
worth reemphasizing here.  "Western" medicine is a profession
rooted in humanistic values of service and aid to the sick and
dying, but its strongest tool since the 19th century has been
the scientific method--a therapy must produce repeatable beneficial
results in order to be accepted by the medical community.  Like it
or not, a sample size of one is useless in predicting a therapy's
value in Western medicine--there are too many uncontrolled variables,
all which may influence a therapeutic outcome, to give it any
predictive value.

Medicine, because it deals in such a precious commodity as human
life and health, is fundamentally conservative.  It prefers to
treat patients with therapies it knows to be of value, or at least,
as the maxim says, to do no harm.  This means, for example, that
effective folk remedies might take a while to be used; they are
given the same scrutiny as other, less "natural" treatments.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

jhull@spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) (05/14/85)

In article <397@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>"Western" medicine is a profession rooted in humanistic values of
>service and aid to the sick and dying, but its strongest tool since the
>19th century has been the scientific method--a therapy must produce
>repeatable beneficial results in order to be accepted by the medical
>community.  ...  Medicine, ... , is fundamentally conservative.  It
>prefers to treat patients with therapies it knows to be of value, or at
>least, as the maxim says, to do no harm.

With all due respect to Steve, & to the many honest & dedicated
medical practicianers in the US & elsewhere, this is not my experience
with Western medicine.

The US physician's first interest is to avoid running afoul of the
AMA, then to avoid malpractice suits (which is inextricably
intertwined with the first), then to help the patient (as he sees fit)
while making money.  I am not belittling those dedicated people who
work long hours for low pay; I am taking aim at the medical
establishment in the US & the policies it has set up.

One example of this is the current state of pre- & post-natal care for
women & current birthing practices in the US.  Another is cancer
treatment.

The basic orientation of natural medicine is to prevent disease by
keeping people healthy; the basic orientation of the AMA seems to be
alleviate the symptom & ignore the disease.

--
 Blessed Be,

 Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}
 13817 Yukon Ave.         trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull
 Hawthorne, CA 90250		34o3'15" N  by  118o14'28" W

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (05/17/85)

> With all due respect to Steve, & to the many honest & dedicated
> medical practicianers in the US & elsewhere, this is not my experience
> with Western medicine.
>
> The US physician's first interest is to avoid running afoul of the
> AMA
>
> The basic orientation of natural medicine is to prevent disease by
> keeping people healthy; the basic orientation of the AMA seems to be
> alleviate the symptom & ignore the disease.
>
>  Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}

	To address the last first.  Ignoring the disease is not what they
teach us to do in Med School.  Not only do they cover the symptoms and all
the possible diseases, but they also keep reminded us to treat the illness
(which is what I think you meant.)
	Two, I belong to the AMA, and I'll tell you, they have a lot of trouble
getting physicians to join.  Medicine is not a closed shop and the AMA is not
a union and I'd wish people would stop treating it like one.
	Three - as far as keeping people healthy - have you ever really TRIED
to tell someone to lose weight, give up smoking, or take up walking. It just
doesn't work -- it's like saying "Give up everything you like, and start doing
everything you hate because it's good for."
	And just to add to that,  lung cancer deaths in doctors started falling
15 years before they started falling in the general population - mostly
because doctors quit smoking before everybody else, so much for a lack of
health concern.

	Sorry that you had such a bad experience with your physicians, Jeff,
but 99% of the MDs I know (and I'm meeting more every day) do not fit your
description.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (05/28/85)

>Sorry that you had such a bad experience with your physicians, Jeff,
>but 99% of the MDs I know (and I'm meeting more every day) do not fit your
>description.

I have had mostly good experiences (relatively) with physicians, but I
personally agree with Jeff.  One of the main problems with physicians
is that they don't take the time to explain what is really going on.

A representative example:  For several years off and on I have had
plantar warts.  These are nothing more than warts that grow on the
sole of one's feet, but due to the pressure of normal walking and
standing they grow inwards, putting all the pressure of one's
weight on nerve endings and causing \much/ pain.  I went to my
dermatologist (treating me for acne at the time), and he took one
look and said "Yep, those'll have to come out."  Well, it is a
litle-known historical fact that the bottoms of the feet were
long relished by torturers in dungeons because exquisite pain
could be imparted there.  I found out the hard way.  The pain (even
of the multiple shots to deaden the area) was so bad, and the
recovery so nasty (I couldn't walk for quite a while) that I dreaded
my second trip a year later.  It was just as bad.

I managed to avoid them until I moved to Greensboro, then they recurred
yet again.  I went dejectedly to the first dermatologist I found in
the book and told him to go ahead and cut them out.  Imagine my surprise
when he refused outright.  He sat me down and explained to me that
these warts were caused by flagging T-cells (a type of white blood
cell), that warts come and go as the T-cells strengthen/multiply
and weaken/diminish in number, and that he had something he called
"Cocaine for T-cells".  He gave me the cure rates for surgery
such as I had had before (15-20%), acid treatment (very long, and
only 35-40%), and this treatment (75%).  He then said that he would
be glad to try the acid if I so desired, but he would recommend the
injection and would NOT do the surgery.  I elected the obvious.
He took out an incredibly small-gauge needle and very slowly and gently
injected around the warts, then told me to come back in about 10
days.  I did so and he removed the warts without any discomfort
to me and WITHOUT ANESTHETIC.  His fee was quite reasonable as well.
He told me that, if by chance I was not cured, he would have a laser
in his office by the next time and he had (unconfirmed) reports of
95% cure rates with them.

That was 3 years ago, and I haven't had a days trouble since.  The
point of this whole harangue is that through bad childhood illness,
8 years of allergy shots, bronchial pneumonia twice a year in my
teens, half my stomach removed at 16, and two bouts of colitis;
this is the ONLY doctor (and I bet I've met more of them than you
have!) who EVER fully explained to me what was going on and laid
out my choices with cure percentages and the whole nine yards.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj