[net.med] Plantar Warts: Cocaine for T-cells

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (05/29/85)

In article <burl.709> rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) writes:

>A representative example:  For several years off and on I have had
>plantar warts.
>
>I managed to avoid [cutting them out again] until I moved to Greensboro,
>then they recurred yet again.  I went dejectedly to the first dermatologist
>I found in the book and told him to go ahead and cut them out.
>Imagine my surprise when he refused outright.  He sat me down
>and explained to me that these warts were caused by flagging T-cells
>(a type of white blood cell), that warts come and go as the T-cells
>strengthen/multiply and weaken/diminish in number, and that he had
>something he called "Cocaine for T-cells".

>He took out an incredibly small-gauge needle and very slowly and gently
>injected around the warts, then told me to come back in about 10
>days.  I did so and he removed the warts without any discomfort
>to me and WITHOUT ANESTHETIC.  His fee was quite reasonable as well.
>He told me that, if by chance I was not cured, he would have a laser
>in his office by the next time and he had (unconfirmed) reports of
>95% cure rates with them.

I have a plantar's wart, which my general practitioner is trying to
freeze off with liquid nitrogen.  After a half dozen applications,
the wart is smaller but not yet gone.

I am interested in your treatment.  Exactly what is the medical term
for this "cocaine for T-cells," so my doctor will know what I'm
talking about when I suggest it?

	Frank Silbermann