[net.med] re antihistame without side-effects

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (06/10/85)

> From: sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer)
> drug store in Ottawa last week when I was visiting friends.  Its price
> was the worst "side-effect": $12 Cdn for 24 tablets!  This is roughly
> $8 for 12 days worth of treatment, given the recommended dose of a tablet
> every 12 hours.  A bit high, eh?  It didn't seem to be sold in comsumer
> nostrums--you had to ask the pharmacist to dispense some, so that may
> have added to the price.
>
> My experience seems to bear out the informal reports of the drug: ...
> I guess I would say that I'm pretty enthusiastic about it: it could make the
> hay fever seasons much less of a bother.

 Yes it does cost money, but if you dispense in BULK the price drops.
 50 pills cost about 40cents each, 100 pills cost about 35cents each
 Compare that with the Chlor-Tripelon type pills at about 11cents each in
 those fancy consumer-packs (local drugs stores dont dispense volumes of
 drugs that can be bought in consumer-packs)
 And chlor-tripelon is a 4-hour pill, 3*11=12hrs=33cents!, so not much more
 expensive for the joys of no side-effects! (Or having to carry around
 three times as many pills in your pockets)
 Besides, I get my doctor to write prescriptions and then try to claim
 it on my drug-plan at work, about the half the time the clerks at the
 insurance company dont bother checking the DIN number in their funny
 tables and they pay up! (I did that with my chlor-tripelon equivalent too)

              - Ken Dykes
                Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
                Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                {clyde,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes
                kgdykes%watbun%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa