[net.med] Sugar Dangers: Fact or Faith?

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (07/25/85)

++
> Sugar is a major factor in some people's obesity, coronary problems,
> eyesight problems, and cancer.  I gave a reference in previous articles.
> When quoting references, please do not include statements made by
> organizations finencially tied to the sugar industry, or to manufacurers
> of products loaded with sugar.
>
>It appears that as much as 60 to 70 per cent of the population is genetically
> immune to most of sugar's bad effects...
>   Chuck Forsberg

As was mentioned before, the work you cite by Yudkin has been discounted
and is not taken seriously anymore.  I don't think the Atlantic Monthly is
"finencially tied to the sugar industry", or even takes money from them!
This doesn't mean that sugar is without sin, but we should stick to the
scientific method wherever possible.  If there is no other reputable source
of such opinion than Yudkin, and you still insist on connecting sugar with
all those evils, then we're talking net.religionland, aren't we?

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/28/85)

In article <424@petrus.UUCP> mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) writes:
>As was mentioned before, the work you cite by Yudkin has been discounted
>and is not taken seriously anymore.

Not taken seriously by whom?
I haven't seen any of Yudkin's findings DISPROVEN.
Facts, please!
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231