[net.med] Sugar, Nutrasweet, Addiction

itkin@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (07/28/85)

In article <19@unc.UUCP> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:
> [...]
]Frank Silbermann:
>>>Neither are coffee and cigarettes physically addictive.
>>>Sugar, like caffeine
>>>and nicotine IS habit forming.  And all three are unnecessary.
]William Ingogly:
>>True about the habit forming qualities of these drugs, but both caffein
>>(sp?) and nicotine (sp?) are also physically addictive.
]Frank Silberman
>It is my impression that physicians consider a substance addictive
>only if quitting it cold turkey has the potential to kill you.

Actually, there is a clear difference between the two.  However, when
you are suffering from EITHER it is a subtle and unimportant difference.
The difference (as I understand it) is that habits are psychological in
nature while addictions create/depend on a physiological (chemical)
change in the body.  Thus, while addictions are not necessarily defined
by the "potential to kill you", they are defined by changes in the body.
Nicotine and caffeine are technically habit forming.

However, as Bill said, quitting smoking makes the difference uninteresting
in the extreme.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA