[net.med] Sugar is More Damaging than Cyclamates?

jefff@cadovax.UUCP (Jeffery H. Fields) (07/19/85)

Chuck Forsberg writes:

>I also remember that it was the Sugar industry that sponsored the "research"
>that led to the banning of Cyclamates.

>Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
>substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
>food with it is concerned.

Sugar is more damaging human's than cyclamates?  I think not.  Refined
sugar is damaging in two ways that I know of: 1) an overabundance of it in the
the blood stream causes metabolic instability, especially among diabetics, and
2) increased tooth decay.

If there is another category of damage, I want to know.

Refined sugar is "damaging" in that it is empty calories devoid of nutritional
goodies provided in unprocessed sources of sugar.  So, it is not sugar that
causes problems, it is the lack of the supply of nutrients that comes from
eating foods containing refined sugar, i.e. junk foods, in place of eating more
nutritional foods that is damaging.  The sin of refined sugar is not one of
commission but of omission.

--

				Jeff Fields
				{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!jefff

Pax vobiscum.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (07/24/85)

In article <713@cadovax.UUCP> jefff@cadovax.UUCP (Jeffery H. Fields) writes:
>goodies provided in unprocessed sources of sugar.  So, it is not sugar that
>causes problems, it is the lack of the supply of nutrients that comes from
>eating foods containing refined sugar, i.e. junk foods, in place of eating more
>nutritional foods that is damaging.  The sin of refined sugar is not one of
>commission but of omission.

Sugar is a major factor in some people's obesity, coronary problems,
eyesight problems, and cancer.  I gave a reference in previous articles.
When quoting references, please do not include statements made by
organizations finencially tied to the sugar industry, or to manufacurers
of products loaded with sugar.

It appears that as much as 60 to 70 per cent of the population is genetically
immune to most of sugar's bad effects.  I just wish that the food industry
and the media would show as much consideration for the rest of us as they
show for the tine minority which has problems with Nutrasweet.
--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (07/29/85)

> Chuck Forsberg writes:
>
> >Unfortunately, the laws are such that Sugar, which is a more damaging
> >substance, is not regulated in any significant way as far as adulterating
> >food with it is concerned.
>
> Jeff Fields responds:
>
> Refined sugar is "damaging" in that it is empty calories devoid of nutritional
> goodies provided in unprocessed sources of sugar.  So, it is not sugar that
> causes problems, it is the lack of the supply of nutrients that comes from
> eating foods containing refined sugar, i.e. junk foods, in place of eating
> more nutritional foods that is damaging.  The sin of refined sugar is
> not one of commission but of omission.

	According to "Life Extention" and various books and articles
I have read over the years,  besides depriving you of calories,
eating lots of sucrose on an empty stomach can cause the
pancreous  to secrete lots of insulin to deal with it.  The sugar
is rapidly absorbed and there is left over insulin.  Insulin is
hard on the arteries and people who have to inject it for diabetes
often have health problems because of too much insulin.
The extreme form of this overabundance of insulin, when it becomes
pathological, is called hypoglycimia.   The idea of the health
benefit of eating less sugar, or at least being careful to
eat sugar with other foods so it is not absorbed as rapidly,
is that we subject ourselves to less insulin.
The insulin is not enough to make us sick, but enough
to cause much wear and tear on our circulatory systems.

	If Pritikin's circulatory system is any example, there
might well be something to the idea.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny