[net.med] Medical breakthroughs

hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) (07/22/85)

It appears that we are on the verge of major breakthroughs
in the treatment of heart disease and cancer.  If initial
favorable indications prove out, these breakthroughs presage
a significant improvement in human longevity.

In the area of heart disease, the breakthrough is an improved
enzyme (TPA ?) for dissolving clots.  The new drug and procedure
(pending final approval) is simpler and more effective than the
current procedure, which employs arterial catheterization and
streptokinase.  The new drug could be injected by a paramedic
while enroute to the ER.  If given within a few hours of an
attack, it is said to almost completely prevent permanent heart
damage.

In the area of cancer treatment, advances in basic scientific
understanding (oncogene mechanism), experimental drug testing
and genetic engineering are about to come together in a meaningful
way.  Natural bodily anticancer agents are being identified,
and gene splicing techniques are making economic production of
these agents feasible for the first time.

For example, the natural anticancer agent Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF)
was identified some years ago, but effective use wasn't
feasible until gene splicing techniques made large-scale production
economically possible.  Indications are that initial human tests
(in Japan) of a combination of interferon and TNF show promise.
The interferon is also produced by gene splicing techniques, using
bacteria as "factories."

Monoclonal antibodies, also a product of genetic engineering
research, is another promising area of cancer treatment.

I post this to invite further discussion, comment, correction,
etc. When these breakthroughs in treatment are ADDED to what we're
learning about prevention, major enhancements in life span and
quality of life should result.

--Henry Friedman

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (07/24/85)

In article <hlexa.4453> hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) writes:
>It appears that we are on the verge of major breakthroughs
>in the treatment of heart disease and cancer.  If initial
>favorable indications prove out, these breakthroughs presage
>a significant improvement in human longevity.
>
>In the area of heart disease, the breakthrough is an improved
>enzyme (TPA ?) for dissolving clots.  The new drug and procedure
>(pending final approval) is simpler and more effective than the
>current procedure, which employs arterial catheterization and
>streptokinase.  The new drug could be injected by a paramedic
>while enroute to the ER.  If given within a few hours of an
>attack, it is said to almost completely prevent permanent heart
>damage.
>[...]
>I post this to invite further discussion, comment, correction,
>etc. When these breakthroughs in treatment are ADDED to what we're
>learning about prevention, major enhancements in life span and
>quality of life should result.
>
>--Henry Friedman

What we really need is something to prevent or undo hardening of the
arteries.  Dissolving a clot today gives no protection against tomorrow's
clots, so long as the arteries are too narrow.

	Frank Silbermann

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (07/31/85)

> In article <hlexa.4453> hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) writes:
> >It appears that we are on the verge of major breakthroughs
> >in the treatment of heart disease and cancer.
> >
> >In the area of heart disease, the breakthrough is an improved
> >enzyme (TPA ?) for dissolving clots.
> >
> >--Henry Friedman
>
> What we really need is something to prevent or undo hardening of the
> arteries.  Dissolving a clot today gives no protection against tomorrow's
> clots, so long as the arteries are too narrow.
>
> 	Frank Silbermann

But dont you think that if today we learn to disolve clots when yesterday
we didn't, tommorrow we learn how to prevent clots? We have to build on
something.
	Bob Nebert