[net.med] Sugar, nutrasweet, Mr. Tom Stanions, truth

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (07/27/85)

In article <1061@cbdkc1.UUCP> tjs@dkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) writes:
>	...Sugar does come from natural sources but is over-refined
>	therefore making it non-natural, and dangerous.

Mr. Stanions, for a reward of $25.00, to you or your favorite charity,
could you cite to the net your references for that statement?
[Forgive me for insisting such references come from refereed journals.
If you'd rather point to a book, feel free, but I want to see research
results at the end of the bibliography trail.]  Before you go for the
dough, please resolve some ambiguities in your statement:

	... but is over-refined...
		Means what?
		What is the substrate?
		What the final product?
		What steps occur in the refinement process?
		Which is the first gratuitous one?  Why is it gratuitous?
			What are its inputs and outputs?  How did you come
			by that knowlege?

	...therefore making it non-natural...
		What is natural?  If the answer's long, just point us
			at a reference.
		Is non-naturalness a result of refinement or merely
			over-refinement?
		Which refinement step makes the intermediate compound
			between substrate and final product non-natural?
		Does that apply to products other than sugar?  In particular,
			can you supply an algorithm for identifying the
			refinement-step-that-makes-its-product-non-natural
			in the general case?  In even ONE other case?

	...and dangerous.
		Dangerous because it's non-natural?  By extension, is
			anything non-natural inherently dangerous?
		Is the relationship commutative?  Does natural imply
			not-dangerous?  Under what conditions?
		Dangerous to everyone or just some people?
		Dangerous under all circumstances and dosages, or just
			certain ones?
		In what way dangerous?  May we have a damage-causing
			mechanism, please?

I apologize to the public at large for the nitpicky nature of my
questions.  Mr. Stanions's postings mangle the English language so
badly that I don't really know what he's trying to say.  [YOW, am I
******* ****** yet?  Name that person!]  Hence my request for
low-level explanations.  Furthermore, since the questions I asked
require acquaintance with first-year organic chemistry techniques and
nomenclature, his answers may tell us whether he knows anything about
that subject.

Feel free to flame me if you think that kind of knowledge isn't
necessary for uttering a continuous stream of unsupported positive
public statements.  Or for any other reason.

Anyone who wants to answer or improve on the questions above is
invited to do so.

Mr. Stanions, I await your reply with (artificially) sweetly bated
breath.
--
Oded Feingold				{decvax, harvard, mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf
MIT AI Lab				oaf%oz@mit-mc.ARPA

siritzky@acf2.UUCP (Brian Siritzky) (07/29/85)

Before we take this support of 'artificial' things too seriously, note the
author's address. The AI Lab at MIT?! Nuff said.

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (07/30/85)

>In article <1061@cbdkc1.UUCP> tjs@dkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) writes:
>>	...Sugar does come from natural sources but is over-refined
>>	therefore making it non-natural, and dangerous.

>Mr. Stanions, for a reward of $25.00, to you or your favorite charity,
>could you cite to the net your references for that statement?
>[Forgive me for insisting such references come from refereed journals.
>If you'd rather point to a book, feel free, but I want to see research
>results at the end of the bibliography trail.]  Before you go for the
>dough, please resolve some ambiguities in your statement:

You seem new to this discussion or else you would know that I don't need a
bribe to respond to a criticism.  I hope you are also aware that my answers
will almost certainly not satisfy you.  I have great faith and am a believer in
the scientific method, however, when a scientific experiment (such as the one
being performed on peoples diet and health at this time) fails to recognize the
lessons of the past and ignores vast amounts of data (probably because it is
unexplainable/unusable in a scientific nature) I stop agreeing.  At any rate I
will answer your questions in the manner I see appropriate.  If you feel I have
done as you asked please don't insult me by sending money, however, I would
appreciate it is you would spread the word to others.  But, I doubt you will
like what you read.