[net.med] Peanut Butter

rbg@cbosgd.UUCP (Richard Goldschmidt) (07/29/85)

In article <241@bbncc5.UUCP>, sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> ...  I think peanut butter is harmful to me.

I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but peanut butter does
contain a aflatoxin - a potent carcinogen, which is produced by a mold
which grows on peanuts stored in a humid environment.  The FDA regulates
an "acceptable" level of aflatoxin for commercial peanut butter products.

Rich Goldschmidt     {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax,allegra,seismo} !cbosgd!rbg
		     ARPA:  cbosgd!rbg@seismo or cbosgd!rbg@ucbvax

> In article <241@bbncc5.UUCP>, sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> > ...  I think peanut butter is harmful to me.
>
> I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, but peanut butter does
> contain a aflatoxin - a potent carcinogen, which is produced by a mold
> which grows on peanuts stored in a humid environment.  The FDA regulates
> an "acceptable" level of aflatoxin for commercial peanut butter products.
>
> Rich Goldschmidt     {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax,allegra,seismo} !cbosgd!rbg
> 		     ARPA:  cbosgd!rbg@seismo or cbosgd!rbg@ucbvax

	Oh boy! What a great opportunity for me to upset a whole bunch of
people!  Rich Goldschmidt hit the nail on the head, but only told a *small*
part of the "Aflatoxin Story".  Now I'm going to tell the rest...
	Aflatoxins are highly toxic mycotoxins produced by fungi, typically
Aspergillus flavus.  There are at least six known aflatoxins - B1, B2, G1, G2,
M1 and M2 - all of which are gen-u-wine NIOSH-registered carcinogens.  The FDA
holds than any concentration greater than 20 parts per *billion* is hazardous
to human health.  The FDA requires that the following susceptible products be
tested for aflatoxins according to AOAC methods: cocoa beans, coconut, copra
and copra meal, corn, cottenseed products, eggs, feeds, green coffee, nuts and
nut products, and soybeans.
	I took the liberty of digging out a book from our research library and
herewith quote from "Cancer Causing Chemicals" by N. Sax:

	"Aflatoxin B1 is one of the most potent causes of hepatocellular
    carcinoma and colon and kidney tumors in rats or rainbow trout.  It
    can infect rice, corn, cottonseed meal, copra, as well as ground nuts,
    sesame seeds, pistachio and other tree nuts, cocoa nuts and cocoa-nuts
    products, maize, barley, sorghum, millet, oats, rye and cassava and
    even beer.  Ingested aflatoxins may be stored in animal tissues or
    excrete in milk.
	"Samples of nearly every major dietary staple have been found to
    contain some aflatoxin at one time or another."

	Think about it. BEER, too!  Bear in mind that aflatoxin is a *toxin*
and as such is a chemical product of a living organism; it is no longer alive
and can NOT be rendered harmless by usual methods of sterilization.  The
melting points of the various aflatoxins are over 250 deg C, so they are hardly
going to be destroyed by boiling or autoclaving.  Aflatoxins are also almost
insoluble in water, so they won't wash out...
	Enjoy! {There is a way to put this issue in perspective, but I feel
mean today and won't do it.}

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (08/03/85)

> 	"Aflatoxin B1 is one of the most potent causes of hepatocellular
>     carcinoma and colon and kidney tumors . . .
> 	"Samples of nearly every major dietary staple have been found to
>     contain some aflatoxin at one time or another."
>
> 	Enjoy! {There is a way to put this issue in perspective, but I feel
> mean today and won't do it.}
> 	Larry Lippman

	The article leads me to the conclusion that since EVERYTHING
we eat contains carcinigens that are incredibly potent, then perhaps
there is much less to fear from environmental carcinigens than one
might expect.   And I went to all that trouble to quit smoking . . . :-)

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software