[net.med] Distilled water as drinking water

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (07/18/85)

In search of a clean glass of water -- JUST water -- I have been buying
gallon jugs of distilled water for drinking.

I have been told that this is not so good afterall, that distilled water
may leach minerals from the body and that spring water would be best.

Is this true?

If so, how to I know that spring water is really ``clean'' or just
filtered sludge?
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (07/19/85)

It depends upon whether the water was distilled in metal or glass containers
because metal containers exude metallic ions that can be lethal to some living
organisms.  Glass distilled water is perfectly safe.  Any reputable distiller
will give you the complete details of his distilling and storage process.

- Phil

bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) (07/24/85)

I've heard that regardless of the type of water you get (distilled,
spring, etc.), if it comes in a polyvinyl-chloride bottle (like most
major water suppliers provide) instead of a glass bottle (like they used
to have until someone decided they were too heavy), the quality of the
water is compromised.  Something about PVC molecules being freed and
mixing in the water.

I don't know anything about chemistry.  Does this sound plausible?
Has anyone else heard this?
--
Bob Kaplan

"Ilo Shaka.  I Olimo Shando.  Shanda Lamoshi Kando.  Hopa Bia Shata Mahanda."

> I've heard that regardless of the type of water you get (distilled,
> spring, etc.), if it comes in a polyvinyl-chloride bottle (like most
> major water suppliers provide) instead of a glass bottle (like they used
> to have until someone decided they were too heavy), the quality of the
> water is compromised.  Something about PVC molecules being freed and
> mixing in the water.

	Pure polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is tasteless, odorless, and quite
inert.  Pure PVC alone is not used to manufacture containers; it is mixed
plasticizers (to make the container flexible), UV stabilizers (to prevent
deterioration from sunlight and ozone), and colorants.  The cause of any
taste or smell to water in a PVC container is generally impurities from the
above additives leaching into solution.
	A good quality PVC will have virtually no taste or odor problem.
However, good quality PVC costs $$$, and distilled water for consumer use
is generally packaged in bottom-of-the-barrel quality PVC containers.

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

flowers@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/06/85)

In article <717@cadovax.UUCP> bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) writes:
>I've heard that regardless of the type of water you get (distilled,
>spring, etc.), if it comes in a polyvinyl-chloride bottle (like most
>major water suppliers provide) instead of a glass bottle (like they used
>to have until someone decided they were too heavy), the quality of the
>water is compromised.  Something about PVC molecules being freed and
>mixing in the water.
>
>I don't know anything about chemistry.  Does this sound plausible?
>Has anyone else heard this?

I tried a few different "bottled" waters (bottled in plastic) and had to
give up because I could not stomach the plastic taste (not everyone
could taste it) .  So something must be getting in the water.