[net.med] One possible REAL problem with diet sodas.

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (08/05/85)

	While everyone is debating sugar/saccharine/nutrasweet, I might add
the following to the fire, having nothing to do with the sweetener.
	Quite possibly the greatest problem that diet softdrinks might pose
is that women(+) now drink them instead of "high calorie" milk (*). Not only do
sodas contain no Calcium, but they are high in Phosphoric Acid, i.e. Phosphate,
which interferes with Calcium absorbtion, multiplying the effect.
	Of course whether this theory is right or not will not be determined
for another thirty years or so. But if it is, it could be that today's Pepsi
generation will be the 21st century's Osteoporosis generation.

[(+) This is not to imply that women are more prone to drink soda, only that
	they are more prone to develope osteoporosis.
[(*) I receive no money from the Dairy industry. In fact, I pay them $2.66/gal]
--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (08/09/85)

> 	Quite possibly the greatest problem that diet softdrinks might pose
> is that women(+) now drink them instead of "high calorie" milk (*).

Sounds like "white man" talk to me.   (1/2 :-)

We of European ancestry tend to forget that the majority of the world's
adults become violently ill if they drink milk.

The "1/2 :-)" above is because I recognize that those people are
probably not drinking diet soda anyway...
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {seismo!noao,decvax!noao,ihnp4}!terak!doug

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (08/12/85)

In article <667@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>Sounds like "white man" talk to me.   (1/2 :-)
>
>We of European ancestry tend to forget that the majority of the world's
>adults become violently ill if they drink milk.

That's funny, I drink milk often and enjoy it. Meanwhile I have three
roundeye friends who have lactose intolerance. I know these data points
are unimportant statistically but I find them interesting nevertheless.

--
 "Where are all the good men?"
 "I think they're out with all the bad women!"

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA