[net.med] B Vitamin Info wanted

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (07/31/85)

This is a request to help save me a lot of digging.  Generally I refer to
Vitamins by their chemical name, as the pattern in most texts, so I was
wondering if someone could help me complete the following chart.

B1 = Thiamine
B2 = Riboflavin
B6 = Pyridoxine and related compounds
B12 = Cyanocobalamin

That leaves 3,4,5,7,8,9,10, and 11 free.

It also leaves Niacin, Pantothenate, and (I believe) Folate as B Vitamins
without assignment.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (08/01/85)

In article <1820@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>This is a request to help save me a lot of digging.  Generally I refer to
>Vitamins by their chemical name, as the pattern in most texts, so I was
>wondering if someone could help me complete the following chart.
>
>B1 = Thiamine
>B2 = Riboflavin
>B6 = Pyridoxine and related compounds
>B12 = Cyanocobalamin
>
>That leaves 3,4,5,7,8,9,10, and 11 free.
>
>It also leaves Niacin, Pantothenate, and (I believe) Folate as B Vitamins
>without assignment.
>
>--
>				Craig Werner
>				!philabs!aecom!werner
>		"The world is just a straight man for you sometimes"

From the book "The Vitamin & Health Encyclopedia" by Jack Richardson:

B3 = Niacin
B5 = Pantothenic acid
B13 = Orotic acid
B15 = Pangamic acid
B17 = Laetrile

Vitamin B Factors mentioned - Inositol, Choine & Folic acid

This list is straight from the book.  If someone feels a need to re-open the
Laetrile debate please either reference the above mentioned book or make it
your own seperate subject.  I guess that B13 & B15 are open subjects as Craig
had not mentioned them.

{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

> This is a request to help save me a lot of digging.  Generally I refer to
> Vitamins by their chemical name, as the pattern in most texts, so I was
> wondering if someone could help me complete the following chart.
>
> B1 = Thiamine
> B2 = Riboflavin
> B6 = Pyridoxine and related compounds
> B12 = Cyanocobalamin
>
> That leaves 3,4,5,7,8,9,10, and 11 free.
>
> It also leaves Niacin, Pantothenate, and (I believe) Folate as B Vitamins
> without assignment.

	I don't know why you want this, since I don't believe there is much
clinical use of other than B1, B2, B6, and B12, but here goes:

B1	Thiamine Hydrochloride (one of several thiamine salts)
B2	Riboflavine (a/k/a Vitamin G)
B3	Nicotinamide (a/k/a Vitamin PP)
B4	Adenine
B5	Pantothenic Acid (has also been referred to as Nicotinamide in lit.)
B6	Pyridoxine Hydrochloride
B7 - B9	1,2,3-BTHOM (Beats The Hell Outta Me)
B10	Unidentified composition according to "The Merck Index, 9th Ed."
B11	Unidentified composition according to "The Merck Index, 9th Ed."
B12	Cyanocobalamin
B12a	Hydroxocobalamin
B12b	Aquocobalamin
B12c	Nitrosocobalamin
B12p	Etiocobalamin
B12r	A somewhat unstable reduction product of Cyanocobalamin
B12s	Hydridocobalamin
B13	Orotic Acid
B15	Pangamic Acid
Bc	Folic Acid (a/k/a Vitamin M)
Bt	l-Carnitine
Bx	p-Aminobenzoic Acid

Niacin (Nicotinic Acid) is not a B vitamin.

	Don't ask if there is any rhyme or reason to the naming of vitamins...

	Larry Lippman
	Recognition Research Corp.
	Clarence, New York
	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
		{rice,shell}!baylor!kitty!larry
		syr!buf!kitty!larry
	VOICE	716/741-9185
	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 answerback: ELGECOMCLR

	"Have you hugged your cat today?"

> >This is a request to help save me a lot of digging.  Generally I refer to
> >Vitamins by their chemical name, as the pattern in most texts, so I was
> >wondering if someone could help me complete the following chart.
> >
> >B1 = Thiamine
> >B2 = Riboflavin
> >B6 = Pyridoxine and related compounds
> >B12 = Cyanocobalamin
> >
> >That leaves 3,4,5,7,8,9,10, and 11 free.
> >
> >It also leaves Niacin, Pantothenate, and (I believe) Folate as B Vitamins
> >without assignment.
>
> From the book "The Vitamin & Health Encyclopedia" by Jack Richardson:
>
> B3 = Niacin
> B17 = Laetrile

	I hate to nitpick, but where I come from nicotinamide is Vitamin B3,
and niacin is simply a colloquial name for nicotinic acid.
	Also, Laetrile has been unfortunately referred to as ``Vitamin B-17''
in some literature - which is most misleading.  Note, however, that it is
literally ``B-17'' and not ``B'' subscript ``17'' which is the form that all
of the genuine B vitamins are written in.
	The current 9th edition of "The Merck Index" agrees with me.  I could
flame about how these 'consumer' oriented health books distort the chemical
and biological facts - but I won't today...

In article <229@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	Don't ask if there is any rhyme or reason to the naming of vitamins...

	Well, there *is* a little, I believe all the "B" vitamins are
water soluble, and non-B vitamins are not or some such thing. Anyone
remember exactly what the difference is?
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

> >	Don't ask if there is any rhyme or reason to the naming of vitamins...
> >
> 	Well, there *is* a little, I believe all the "B" vitamins are
> water soluble, and non-B vitamins are not or some such thing. Anyone
> remember exactly what the difference is?

	Well, if my memory serves me correctly, vitamins got their name from
from a not-quite-identified amine which was used to treat beriberi, and were
originally called `vitamines'.  I believe this name persisted during further
discovery work which yielded more `vitamines'; it was later learned that some
of these substances were not amines after all, and hence the name was changed
to the present `vitamin'.
	Most if not all B vitamins and vitamin C are water soluble.  Vitamins
A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble.  I never learned any further rhyme or reason
to the naming of vitamins.

|	Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        |
|	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  |
|					    {rice,shell}!baylor!/	      |
|	VOICE	716/741-9185			      syr!buf!/		      |
|	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR			      |
|	"Have you hugged your cat today?"				      |

patc@tekcrl.UUCP (Pat Caudill) (08/15/85)

--
	The last two issues of "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction"
have had articles by "the Good Doctor" Asimov about the history of vitamins.