[net.med] Aluminum pans - a Health Risk?

holly@hpfcla.UUCP (holly) (07/31/85)

I recently had a friend who went on the Macrobiotic Diet (she had terminal
cancer).  One of the things the diet stresses is to NOT use aluminum pans.
I have also heard through the media that there could be a possible connection
between Alzheimer's Disease and the use of aluminum pans.

Does anyone have any information about this?  I would really like to know
more about this.

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (08/04/85)

The first indication that aluminum was a serious brain toxin came to
light back when kidney dialysis first started.  The first series of
patients all turned into vegetables after about 6 months of dialysis.

Obviously, 6 months of life was not worth spending the rest of your
earthly existance as a vegetable (these people didn't die--they just
lost their cognitive function--almost exactly like Alzheimer's).  The
researchers discovered that the Aluminum preservative in the solution
settled into the brain tissue (just like autopsies show in
Alzheimer's).  When the Aluminum was removed from the solution the
problem never recurred.  Unfortunately, all those who were vegetables
stayed that way (just like Alzheimer's).

There were a few solitary "voices in the wilderness" back in the 40's
warning about the dangers of Asbestos.  Economic, and political,
pressures covered up the evidence.  Finally, 30 years later the
accumulation (which takes 30-4- years to cause the damage) of evidence
was so overwhelming that even the most obtuse "scientist" was forced
to agree.  You all know that story by now.

Aluminum is the same.  It takes 30-40 years, in this culture, for the
accumulation to cause severe and permanent damage.  There are a few
solitary "voices in the wilderness", who are trying to warn us about
Aluminum.  The same people are still around who, for economic and
political reasons, are trying to cover up the data.  Start reading the
lables on the things you eat.  Nearly everything has some Aluminum
added to it.  Most public drinking water supplies have a high
concentration of Aluminum added to them--; it is a cheap method of
flocculation (part of the sewage treatment).

Since the present epidemic of Alzheimer's started exactly 40 years
after this country started adding lots of Aluminum to those things we
take into our bodies, don't you think it behooves a prudent person to
err on the side of caution until----------?

Until people get out of the habit of thinking; "If it doesn't kill me,
or make me sick, today or tomorrow, it is perfectly safe!", the
government will keep on misunderstanding the pollution problem.  If
we've learned anything in the past 10 years it is: we cannot depend on
the government to protect our health.  Those of you who are willing to
give them that power over you are welcome to continue to support the
"Medical/Pharmaceutical Complex" with your bodies and your $.  The
rest of us have got to get busy gathering data to make up our own
minds.  There are lots of community organizations, and a few national
ones: 1. Common Cause, 2. CSPI, 3. Kellog Foundation, 4. The Peoples
Medical Society (Rodale), etc., who are doing good work in this area.
They deserve our support.

My grand mother used to tell me that Aluminum Pans were poisonous.
She is dead now so I will never find out how she knew (she died at age
88 in full possession of her faculties).  My mother laughed at my
grandmother's foolishness and flaunted her new set of Aluminum pans
(after all, they were so much lighter--and saved so much $).  My
mother is now 69 years old and has Alzheimer's.  It seems the Aluminum
Pans weren't such a bargain after all.

Obviously there are many factors involved in Alzheimer's disease.  One
of them is the old adage: "Use it, or lose it!".  People who watch a
lot of TV are a lot more likely to get Alzheimer's.  If it weren't for
the renal dialysis serendipidous discovery, I would wonder about the
Aluminum controversy too.

murphy@phri.UUCP (Ellen Murphy) (08/06/85)

> I have also heard through the media that there could be a possible connection
> between Alzheimer's Disease and the use of aluminum pans.

The association between Alzheimer's disease and aluminum, which
is found in elevated levels in brain tissue of Alzheimer's
victims, is believed by most workers in the field to be a
_result_ of their abnormal brain metabolism, not a causal factor.
This is based in part on epidemiological studies that show
that workers in the aluminum industry do not have an elevated
risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.  I wouldn't worry about
cooking with aluminum pans.

Ellen Murphy (allegra!phri!murphy)

tjs@cbdkc1.UUCP ( Tom Stanions) (08/07/85)

> I have also heard through the media that there could be a possible connection
> between Alzheimer's Disease and the use of aluminum pans.

I presonally am convinced that aluminum is bad for you.  Whether you agree or
not, isn't it wise to avoid aluminum when it is not neccessary?  Steel pans work
better and I have not heard of any bad effects.  We threw out all our aluminum
pans including a pressure cooker and replaced them with stainless or cast
iron.  Cost seems to be the only reason for aluminum, if there is any possible
problem then it seems to me that expensive is really cheap.

Pans aside, the main source of aluminum seems to be from anti-persperants.  All
that I have looked at contain aluminum chlorhydrate.  This is absorbed through
the underarms.  One family member was tested and showed high levels of aluminum
poisoning, since removing all known sources of aluminum over a two year period
the lowering of the aluminum level has been painfully slow.  Moral - It is easy
to avoid so why not do it?  Waiting for medical community approval could result
in disaster.

{allegra|ihnp4}!cbdkc1!tjs

rick@neuro1.UUCP (Rick Gray) (08/08/85)

 In article <2015@ukma.UUCP> wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:
 >The first indication that aluminum was a serious brain toxin came to
 >light back when kidney dialysis first started.  The first series of
 >patients all turned into vegetables after about 6 months of dialysis.

The January 1985 _Scientific American_ has a good review article
on Alzheimer's disease (Alz.) by Richard J. Wurtman.  It covers
6 models of the disease and the evidence supporting and
contradicting each of them.  One model is that aluminum salts MAY
contribute to the development of Alz.  It is pointed out that
some of the symptoms of dialysis-associated dementia are not present
in Alz.  The conclusion of the section on toxic models (based on this
and other evidence in the article) is "It is possible that aluminum
cannot by itself give rise to the clinical and pathologic indicators
of the disease but that its presence contributes to their appearance
in people exposed to another causative factor".

 >...  The same people are still around who, for economic and
 >political reasons, are trying to cover up the data.

How dare they cover up information by hiding it in magazines sold in
practically every drug store and super market in the country?!  Not
to mention hiding it in medical journals in libraries!

 >...                                  Those of you who are willing to
 >give them that power over you are welcome to continue to support the
 >"Medical/Pharmaceutical Complex" with your bodies and your $.  The
 >rest of us have got to get busy gathering data to make up our own
 >minds.

Good idea!  Let me know how your experiments turn out.

--
Rick Gray
Program in Neuroscience			uucp: {ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!rick

	*** I am not a spokesman for BCM (or anyone else) ***

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (08/09/85)

	Before we ask whether or not Aluminum itself is a risk, lets consider
the question of dosage.  The amount of flaking you get from Aluminum pans is
miniscule at best, much less than you would get from even a moderate intake of
Antacids.
	As for aluminum in Alzheimer's patients' brains, remember that a lot
of these patients have been on Maalox (Aluminum Hydroxide) for years, so it
may be all artifact.
	(At one time, before they found the organism, someone suggested that
Nickel causes Legionaire's Disease - because high levels of Nickel had been
found in that tissue samples.  As it turned out, the microtome used to cut
the samples was Nickel-plated steel, and the only thing they had picked up
was the shavings.)
	As for the rate of Alzheimer's rising 40 years after the introduction
of Aluminum pans, try substituting '30 years after the widespread introduction'
of antibiotics' or '30 years after the introduction of chemotherapy for
Tuberculosis'.  There are more Alzheimer's patients because there are much
more old people.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (08/09/85)

In article <376@phri.UUCP> murphy@phri.UUCP (Ellen Murphy) writes:
>The association between Alzheimer's disease and aluminum, which
>is found in elevated levels in brain tissue of Alzheimer's
>victims, is believed by most workers in the field to be a
>_result_ of their abnormal brain metabolism, not a causal factor.

Even with an abnormal brain metabolism, the brain can't store aluminum
if you don't let the body take in the aluminum in the first place.

>This is based in part on epidemiological studies that show
>that workers in the aluminum industry do not have an elevated
>risk of developing Alzheimer's disease.  I wouldn't worry about
>cooking with aluminum pans.

Why would workers in the aluminum industry absorb
greater than average aluminum?  They don't EAT the stuff
(as we do when we cook with it).  Unless there is some reason
why aluminum workers would aborb greater than average aluminum,
I cannot see the relevance of such a study.

	Frank Silbermann

geb@cadre.ARPA (Gordon E. Banks) (08/10/85)

The posting by Stoll concerning Aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease
is a fascinating example of the kind of reasoning that leads to
health faddism.  A dissection of its arguments may be enlightening.

It starts with a observed scientific fact, discovered by legitimate
medical researchers:

>The first indication that aluminum was a serious brain toxin came to
>light back when kidney dialysis first started.  The first series of
>patients all turned into vegetables after about 6 months of dialysis.
>
>Obviously, 6 months of life was not worth spending the rest of your
>earthly existance as a vegetable (these people didn't die--they just
>lost their cognitive function--almost exactly like Alzheimer's).  The
>researchers discovered that the Aluminum preservative in the solution
>settled into the brain tissue (just like autopsies show in
>Alzheimer's).  When the Aluminum was removed from the solution the
>problem never recurred.  Unfortunately, all those who were vegetables
>stayed that way (just like Alzheimer's).

The words "just like Alzheimer's" suggest a hypothesis which was
quite legitimate at the time of the first discovery, that since
there was a dementia in which Aluminum was implicated, perhaps it
plays a role in Alzheimer's.  This was not lost on medical researchers,
who pursued this lead.  Unfortunately, the connection seems to be
fortuitous (as other posters have shown).  Now tell a little story
that makes it seem like legitimate "scientists" have lied to the public
in the past:

>There were a few solitary "voices in the wilderness" back in the 40's
>warning about the dangers of Asbestos.  Economic, and political,
>pressures covered up the evidence.  Finally, 30 years later the
>accumulation (which takes 30-4- years to cause the damage) of evidence
>was so overwhelming that even the most obtuse "scientist" was forced
>to agree.  You all know that story by now.

Now the bald unsubstantiated statement:

>Aluminum is the same.

Followed by statements that might sound plausible, but that the
writer has no evidence for (it only took a few months for Aluminum
to cause dialysis dementia):

>It takes 30-40 years, in this culture, for the
>accumulation to cause severe and permanent damage.

Now the Birch-like conspiracy theory:

>There are a few
>solitary "voices in the wilderness", who are trying to warn us about
>Aluminum.  The same people are still around who, for economic and
>political reasons, are trying to cover up the data.

Bomb Alcoa!  Save our precious bodily fluids!

Now the rising paranoia:

> Start reading the
>lables on the things you eat.  Nearly everything has some Aluminum
>added to it.  Most public drinking water supplies have a high
>concentration of Aluminum added to them--; it is a cheap method of
>flocculation (part of the sewage treatment).

Now throw in a few false facts:

>Since the present epidemic of Alzheimer's started exactly 40 years
>after this country started adding lots of Aluminum to those things we
>take into our bodies, don't you think it behooves a prudent person to
>err on the side of caution until----------?

As a matter of fact, dementia of the senile variety has been recognized
since antiquity.  As early as the 17th century we find descriptions
of patients who probably had Alzheimer's disease.  Of course, it wasn't
until the 19th century that pathology had advanced to the point that
Alzheimer could separate out those having the disease he described
from the mish-mash of other dementias.  At that time the population
over 65 was less than 4%, whereas now it is over 10% and growing.
Then, no one made a fuss over what was seen as the natural course
of aging, now people expect to live longer and don't want to become
demented.  There is absolutely no evidence that the incidence of
Alzheimer's has increased when population aging is taken into account.

Now for the proof:

>My grand mother used to tell me that Aluminum Pans were poisonous.
>She is dead now so I will never find out how she knew (she died at age
>88 in full possession of her faculties).  My mother laughed at my
>grandmother's foolishness and flaunted her new set of Aluminum pans
>(after all, they were so much lighter--and saved so much $).  My
>mother is now 69 years old and has Alzheimer's.  It seems the Aluminum
>Pans weren't such a bargain after all.

Of course, isn't it obvious?  This kind of reasoning is thought to
account for superstitions.  The black cat crossed my path this morning
and now look what happened.  It must have been the cause of my trouble.
The human mind looks very hard for cause-and-effect.  It tends to
latch onto any convenient cause, especially if it fits some preconceived
notions.  Isn't health faddism just a modern superstition?

>Obviously there are many factors involved in Alzheimer's disease.  One
>of them is the old adage: "Use it, or lose it!".  People who watch a
>lot of TV are a lot more likely to get Alzheimer's.  If it weren't for
>the renal dialysis serendipidous discovery, I would wonder about the
>Aluminum controversy too.

I don't know whether he is serious about the TV.  I would say that with
today's programs, the Alzheimer's patients are about the only ones who
could stand it.

Please, you vitamin-freaks, don't stop posting.  It is the best entertainment
around.

> I presonally am convinced that aluminum is bad for you.  Whether you agree or
> not, isn't it wise to avoid aluminum when it is not neccessary? ...
> ...  One family member was tested and showed high levels of aluminum
> poisoning, since removing all known sources of aluminum over a two year period
> the lowering of the aluminum level has been painfully slow. Moral - It is easy
> to avoid so why not do it? Waiting for medical community approval could result
> in disaster.

	Oh, balls...
	I would suggest that you also cease the use of all glass and ceramic
cooking, eating, and drinking implements since most glass and ceramic material
contains traces of calcium aluminosilicate, which is present in a *vast* number
of minerals ranging from anorthite to zoisite.  Yet another source of the
Dreaded Aluminum...
	Where will this trace element madness stop???

|	Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        |
|	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  |
|					    {rice,shell}!baylor!/	      |
|	VOICE	716/741-9185			      syr!buf!/		      |
|	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR			      |
|									      |
|	"Have you hugged your cat today?"				      |

> The posting by Stoll concerning Aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease
> is a fascinating example of the kind of reasoning that leads to
> health faddism.  A dissection of its arguments may be enlightening.
> Followed by statements that might sound plausible, but that the
> writer has no evidence for (it only took a few months for Aluminum
> to cause dialysis dementia):
> Now throw in a few false facts:
> Please, you vitamin-freaks, don't stop posting.  It is the best entertainment
> around.

	RIGHT ON!  I was beginning to feel in the minority here.

|	Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        |
|	UUCP	{decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  |
|					    {rice,shell}!baylor!/	      |
|	VOICE	716/741-9185			      syr!buf!/		      |
|	TELEX	{via WUI} 69-71461 ansbak: ELGECOMCLR			      |
|									      |
|	"Have you hugged your cat today?"				      |

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (08/11/85)

Recent postings suggested possible dangers of aluminum cookware and distilled
water from plastic bottles.  I suppose we should also avoid softdrinks stored
in aluminum cans and plastic bottles.  One good thing to come of all this is
that it makes the New Coke / Classic Coke debate moot (since both are equally
deadly).	:-)

	Frank Silbermann

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/15/85)

> Recent postings suggested possible dangers of aluminum cookware and distilled
> water from plastic bottles.  I suppose we should also avoid softdrinks stored
> in aluminum cans and plastic bottles.  One good thing to come of all this is
> that it makes the New Coke / Classic Coke debate moot (since both are equally
> deadly).	:-)

Considering that coke contains a moderately strong acid (phosphoric acid) I
wouls thing that this would be the #1 source of aluminum in the diet of coke
drinkers.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

1983dmd@hou2a.UUCP (L.MORRISON) (08/15/85)

>Where will this trace element madness stop??? <

When you stop COOKING in your glass, ceramics, eating utensils, etc.
that are traced with calcium aluminousilicate.

Lorna