[net.med] X-Ray exposures

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/22/85)

Re the shoe-store X-ray machines -- I believe that I have read that
long-term clerks and store owners, who were repeatedly exposed to the
leakage from these machines as they stood at the side while kids got
their feet X-rayed, have suffered a high incidence of ill effects. I
don't think the exposure to the children was too serious, since most
only did it a few times when buying new shoes. (I remember doing it
myself.)

Re X-ray treatments -- I was of the generation that got gratuitous or
excessive X-ray exposure at the doctor's office; I recall getting X-ray
"treatments" of the sinus area when I had a head cold. I don't know if I
got tonsil treatments; I did have a tonsilectomy at a relatively early
age (under 10). What ill effects have been noticed from these X-ray
exposures, and what symptoms should those of us who have been so exposed
look out for? Have there been any class-action suits against X-ray
machine manufacturers or the like over such widespread misuse of the
technology?

Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

geb@cadre.ARPA (Gordon E. Banks) (08/23/85)

In article <895@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
> What ill effects have been noticed from these X-ray
>exposures, and what symptoms should those of us who have been so exposed
>look out for? Have there been any class-action suits against X-ray
>machine manufacturers or the like over such widespread misuse of the
>technology?

There are 2 types of misuse that have been documented to cause thyroid
cancer, 1: radiation of children with large thymus glands, 2: radiation
treatments for acne.  Neither are done any more.  You might have trouble
suing the manufacturer unless they sold the machine for the purpose of
performing those specific tasks, since there are legitimate uses of
x ray therapy, and it is up to the doctor to decide when to use it.
You could sue the doctor PROVIDED you can show you suffered damage
(i.e. thyroid cancer, etc.), but not just because you are miffed.
Maybe some others are aware of other cases of misuse that have
injured classes of patients, but I am not.

In article <895@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>Re the shoe-store X-ray machines -- I believe that I have read that
>long-term clerks and store owners, who were repeatedly exposed to the
>leakage from these machines as they stood at the side while kids got
>their feet X-rayed, have suffered a high incidence of ill effects. I
>don't think the exposure to the children was too serious, since most
>only did it a few times when buying new shoes. (I remember doing it
>myself.)

	Hmm, and despite these results there a re *still* many X-ray
technicians who refuse to wear lead aprons or leave the room during
operation of the machine! Maybe they aught to be shown some of these
people.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa