[net.med] "SUGAR IS BAD" SIDE WINS!

geb@cadre.ARPA (Gordon E. Banks) (08/28/85)

In article <236@cmu-ri-leg.ARPA> ssm@cmu-ri-leg.ARPA (Sesh Murthy) writes:

>During the mid-60s when I was a ten year old kid, India had a serious
>food-shortage.  Sugar was available only intermittently through the rationing
>system and we could not afford the price in the open market.
>
>Our diet was mainly unleavened bread made of whole wheat flour, lentils and
>lots of vegetables( These were really cheap.)  We went for several months at
>a time without sugar in any form.  We never ate processed food so we never
>got any sugar from that source.  The same story was repeated in 72-73.
>
>I was never hungry at that time.  However I never felt any different
>because I did not eat sugar.
>
>I wonder how Mr. Stoll accounts for that?

I have had the same experience, but was abstinent for different reasons.
The effect is explained by the psychology of the situation.  The person
EXPECTS to feel great, and therefore does.  This effect is very powerful
and occurs will all sorts of programs, dietary and otherwise.  We don't
have a full explanation, it may be biochemical as well as psychological.