[net.med] Reduce your cancer risk !

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (08/27/85)

	The following is in fact true.
	As reported in the New York Times 'Science Times,' there is for some
inexplicable reason, a very strong correlation between the risk of developing
Malignant Melanoma (a very deadly skin cancer) and the level of one's
education. (I had heard this before, some of the info below is from memory.)

	People who hold higher degrees are more likely to get it than ordinary
College graduates, who in turn are more likely to get it than people who hold
only a high school diploma.
	Like I said, this is serious. The correlation is highly statistically
significant. In this case, more significant than diet.

	So, to reduce your risk of dying from malignant melanoma, drop out
of school --- before it's too late.  (and my oh my, by the time I'm finished,
I'll have a Bachelor's, Masters, MD, and PhD, I'm a goner for sure :-)  Oh,
well, it's a risk I'll have to take.)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (09/04/85)

I loved the below quoted article, but I'm afraid some of the netters  might
not  appreciate  Craig's  humor  here.  I've no doubt what he says is true.
He's also assuming  we're  all  aware  that  correlation  does  not  impute
causation.  Based  on  some  of  the arguments I've seen in this group, I'm
afraid that's not a valid assumption.  So, before the  hearsay  mongers  go
out and burn their diplomas, let me say it again:

                  CORRELATION DOES NOT IMPUTE CAUSATION.

Thanks, Craig.  Don't stay away too long.

In article <1875@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>	The following is in fact true.
>	As reported in the New York Times 'Science Times,' there is for some
>inexplicable reason, a very strong correlation between the risk of developing
>Malignant Melanoma (a very deadly skin cancer) and the level of one's
>education. (I had heard this before, some of the info below is from memory.)
>
>	People who hold higher degrees are more likely to get it than ordinary
>College graduates, who in turn are more likely to get it than people who hold
>only a high school diploma.
>	Like I said, this is serious. The correlation is highly statistically
>significant. In this case, more significant than diet.
>
>	So, to reduce your risk of dying from malignant melanoma, drop out
>of school --- before it's too late.  (and my oh my, by the time I'm finished,
>I'll have a Bachelor's, Masters, MD, and PhD, I'm a goner for sure :-)  Oh,
>well, it's a risk I'll have to take.)

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe