[net.med] IN DEFENSE OF ELECTROMAGNETIC SMOG--A challenge!

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (09/01/85)

Steve Dyer is helping me make my point better than I could ever do it
without him.  THANK YOU STEVE---RA! RA! RA!

I do not wish to spend my valuable time forcing information down his
throat with a "goose stuffer".  He would find a way to regurgitate it
unexamined anyhow.  I can guarantee that he has not read ONE of the
references listed in the "Electromagnetic Smog" article.  I was
careful to not mention any article that was not based on research
reported from the very conventional centers of learning he is so fond
of referring to.

Every single major leap forward in human understanding of how the
universe works, flew in the face of the previous "known truths".
Since the entire power structure has reached its position built on
those truths, every major leap forward has been opposed with all the
might that could be brought to bear by those who fear loss of that
power.

Fortunately, in every age, there is a small % of the population who
care nothing for power and are unafraid to stand up and be counted in
support of an unpopular new concept that works.  Were it not for these
"wierdos" we would still be hiding in the trees from the predators of
the "cave man days".  There is no one who has studied, and/or tried, any
of the concepts I have placed on the net so far, who scoff any longer.

Steve seems to be the kind of person who feels comfortable with the
world as he understands it.  Although, the angry derision he shows
when anything is presented that "shakes his tree" seems a bit out of
character for one who is interested in learning new things.  The world
is as it is.  We live in this world according to what we know about
what it is.  Any thinking person will agree that there is much more we
do not understand about the world than what we do.  Nearly every major
breakthrough has come from an intuitive leap instead of from the
plodding (though necessary at times to provide the raw data upon which
the intuitive leap is based) progress that plodding minds worship.

I challenge ANYONE to read the articles (I have listed perhaps 1/20th
of the references I have read on the subject & will be happy to
provide the bibliography for most of those for a "stamped,
self-addressed envelope),that I listed in the net.med
article#960:"ELECTROMAGNETIC SMOG IS A HAZARD TO YOUR HEALTH",  and come
to a different conclusion than I have come to.  I am ready to change
my mind tomorrow.  I'm sure that I will have to change my mind many
times before I die--the day I stop learning I'll be dead.  I would
appreciate any feedback I can get. A key difference between
Steve Dyer and myself is that I KNOW that I don't know it all.  Steve
hasn't found it out yet.  ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS THAT ELECTROMAGNETIC
SMOG INTERFERES WITH IS THE "ELECTROMAGNETIC RESONENCE ENTRAINMENT OF
THE BRAIN".  Look out Steve, the smog monster may be influencing your
thoughts!

cbosgd!ukma!wws

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder, & Medical Director
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 N. Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/02/85)

> Every single major leap forward in human understanding of how the
> universe works, flew in the face of the previous "known truths".

I have seen this particular statement made by many people in many
contexts.  I am almost always then invited to draw the conclusion
that because the particular idea that the present speaker is espousing
flies in the face of present "known truths" that it must therefore
be a "major leap forward in human understanding."

This is, of course, an example of the elementary fallacy known as
"reasoning from the converse."

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (09/02/85)

> Steve Dyer is helping me make my point better than I could ever do it
> without him.  THANK YOU STEVE---RA! RA! RA!
>
> I do not wish to spend my valuable time forcing information down his
> throat with a "goose stuffer".  He would find a way to regurgitate it
> unexamined anyhow.  I can guarantee that he has not read ONE of the
> references listed in the "Electromagnetic Smog" article.  I was
> careful to not mention any article that was not based on research
> reported from the very conventional centers of learning he is so fond
> of referring to.

I'm a bit confused why Walt chooses to mention me in connection with his
ELECTROMAGNETIC SMOG articles, since I passed up the chance to reply at
length in an article.  But, just now, I looked again at his so-called
references, and found that none of them would satisfy the standards of
controlled research: they might make interesting reading, they might point
to someone doing some actual research, but none of them are reports of
controlled, double-blind studies.  Instead, we have a collection of
mass-market paperbacks, a mass-mailing medical journal which does not
purport to present research, and a convention whose sponsor's credentials
are unknown to me.  At the very least, not a persuasive group of