[net.med] Changing Left-handedness to Right-handedness

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/01/70)

> >There is one fact that should be noted - the consistent use
> >of only the left hand for all purposes is actually rarer than
> >people here might think.
> This is probably true, but I think could be more easily attributed to
> environmental factors (let's face it, we're living in a rightie's world)
> than developmental/genetic ones.  The fact that there ARE consistent "total"
> righties indicates that there's a lot less pressure on them to use their left
> hands than there is on lefties to use their right.

	There have been studies which show that left-handed people are
more flexible and quicker to adapt to change, and that the brain-function
divisions are less well-defined for lefties. That is, the left-brain/
right-brain business actually doens't apply very well to left-handers,
who tend to distribute functions more widely over different parts of the
brain. I don't know if lefties are born this way or if we get that way
as a result of coping with a right-handed world.
--
jcpatilla

"The bland leadeth the bland and they both shall fall into the kitsch."

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (08/11/85)