[net.med] The Modern Concept of "STRESS"

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (09/07/85)

A number of responses, to articles I have shared on the net (as well
as a number of letters directly to me), indicate that many people do
not have a good understanding of the modern definition of STRESS.  Up
to now I have answered many letters directly to their authors because
of my belief that most people already knew.  I have finally been
forced to the realization that too many readers of the net need more
information in this area.

Access to massive amounts of data was necessary before students of the
new paradigm could begin to see the shape of what now is known as a
systems approach to EVERYTHING.  Unfortunately, the same thing is true
of the new understanding of stress.

I will endeavor to make a simple explanation.  Those who really want
to know can use it as a starting point.  Those who are looking for an
arguement will be able to advance much skepticism.  I have given all
day workshops on the modern day definition of stress.  Those who truly
are interested can get diagrams, biblio and specifics by sending me a
SASE and requesting info on "Stress".

Hans Selye spelled out much of what we know now about stress.  More is
being learned every day.  Basically, ANYTHING that causes a response
in an organism (good or bad) is considered a stress.  In this
discussion I will consider humans only although most concepts are
transferrable to any living creature.  The only response to stress
known is the fight or flight phenomenon.  The body actually gets ready
to run or to fight (physically).  In this culture there are few
stresses that are appropriately addressed that way. Unfortunately, our
still primitive physiology doesn't know that.  If the readiness to
fight or flight (FOF) is not actually used to run or fight, it stores
in the system.  This gradual buildup of sympathetic response finally
reaches the point where the person is always switched on "sympathetic"
autonomic mode.  Then when there is a new stress there are no more
buttons to push on because they are already all on.  This is called
dysautonomia (look it up).

Biofeedback research demonstrates that the closer one gets to their
limits (& this is true of EACH system in the body/mind) the more each
stress effects the organism:  If you were walking across a field, and
tripped over a rock, you would have a fight or flight response (if you
had biofeedback instruments attached to you they would show a
measurable response).  Now, trip over that same rock, in exactly the
same way, at the edge of a cliff.  The stress you experience would be
totally different--you didn't fall over the cliff; the trip was
identical--the biofeedback readings would be totally different too.

This forms some of the basis for Holistic Medicine:  if we can get you
back from the edge of your cliff--which is not very hard to do--each,
and every, one of those thousands of daily stresses will take a little
less out of you.  Or--we can extend the cliff (health promotion
improves your reserves).  It doesn't matter how we create the distance
between you and the edge of your cliff.

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)
--
Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder, & Medical Director

carter@gatech.CSNET (Carter Bullard) (09/11/85)

In article <2145@ukma.UUCP> wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:

>Hans Selye spelled out much of what we know now about stress.  More is
>being learned every day.  Basically, ANYTHING that causes a response
>in an organism (good or bad) is considered a stress.  In this
>discussion I will consider humans only although most concepts are
>transferrable to any living creature.  The only response to stress
>known is the fight or flight phenomenon.  The body actually gets ready
>to run or to fight (physically).  In this culture there are few
>stresses that are appropriately addressed that way. Unfortunately, our
>still primitive physiology doesn't know that.  If the readiness to
>fight or flight (FOF) is not actually used to run or fight, it stores
>in the system.  This gradual buildup of sympathetic response finally
>reaches the point where the person is always switched on "sympathetic"
>autonomic mode.  Then when there is a new stress there are no more
>buttons to push on because they are already all on.  This is called
>dysautonomia (look it up).
>
>--
>Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
>Founder, & Medical Director
>Holistic Medical Centre
>1412 N. Broadway
>Lexington, Kentucky  40505

    "Anything that causes a response in an organism is considered a stress."
If one wants to take this as a definition, then there would appear, at least to
me, to be a problem.  I can't seem to understand where the word stress then is
different from the word experience or stimuli, especially the word stimuli.

    Responding to all stimuli, say for example, a sexual encounter, with a
fight or flight response would be rather inappropriate, dare also to say
ineffectual.

    Please, when talking about anything that has to do with information
of any kind, please refrain from using pluralities.  It would seem much
more realistic if you keep it in the singular form.

	 "Hans Selye spelled out much of what we know now about stress."

It think it would be much clearer and more accurate if you put it:

	 "Hans Selye spelled out much of what I know now about stress."

    The problem that I see  with  Mr. Stoll, is that he takes a phrase
that was designed to make learning sympathetically controlled physiological
processes easier for children and equates it with the basis for the existence
of the entire system.  The infamous "Flight or Fright" phrase is a simple idea
to help high school children remember what happens when you stimulate the
sympathetic nervous system.  It is not what the system really does, nor is
wise to try to use the idea as an explanation for causality in disease.

Now, lets grow up Mr. Stoll and talk about real medicine, shall we?