[net.med] Politics of AIDS

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (09/12/85)

In article <858@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>In article <1551@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>>This represents a drastic broadening & worsening of the situation.  Only
>>weeks ago the American Red Cross retreated from its historic commitment
>>to donor confidentiality by allowing its local chapters to decide whether
>>they'd conform to a military demand to hand over HTLV-III bloodtest results
>>for all military personnel.
>>
>Ridiculous!  If the military wants to test all their people; that's fine.
>If the military wants to give all HTLV-III positives an honorary medical
>discharge (I'm talking major paranoia here), then that is fine, too; but
>they should NOT be able to \demand/ anything from Red Cross.

"Navy Gives Dishonorable Discharge to AIDS victim" NY NATIVE 9/2/85

"San Diego, CA" - A Navy Corpsman diagnosed with AIDS in May, has been dis-
charged form the Navy because of homosexuality, despite his objection that
he is not homosexual and despite Army and Air Force policy that AIDS victims
be given medical discharges. The decision means that Corpsman Bryon Kinney,
whose discharge is dishonorable, will be denied medical care benefits.

"The decision came at an administrative hearing in July where no media coverage
was allowed and Kinney's attorney's were not permitted to present their case."
--
Rob Bernardo, San Ramon, CA    (415) 823-2417    {ihnp4|dual|qantel}!ptsfa!rob

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (09/13/85)

<>

   Please stop posting AIDS and foster care news in net.singles.  Those who
are interested know where to find this information.  Thank you for your
consideration.