[net.med] Changing Left-handedness to Righ

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (08/28/85)

Left-handed fencers do do well against right-handers but suffer a disadvantage
against another left-hander.  The worst kind to face is an ambidextrous
swordsman, especially if they use a symetrical weapon.  They can change
hands on you and cause all sorts of problems.

				John R Blaker
				UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
				ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1
				and	blaker@FORD-WDL2

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (09/01/85)

> Left-handed fencers do do well against right-handers but suffer a disadvantage
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> against another left-hander.  The worst kind to face is an ambidextrous
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> swordsman, especially if they use a symetrical weapon.  They can change
> hands on you and cause all sorts of problems.
>
> 				John R Blaker

How is it possible that a left-hander would suffer a disadvantage against
another left-hander?  This would mean that both would be at a disadvantage.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (09/07/85)

In article <620@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
>> Left-handed fencers do do well against right-handers but suffer a disadvantage
>> against another left-hander.  The worst kind to face is an ambidextrous
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> 				John R Blaker
>
>How is it possible that a left-hander would suffer a disadvantage against
>another left-hander?  This would mean that both would be at a disadvantage.

Easy. Lefties are so rare in fencing circles that they rarely fence
against each other. That being the case, they rarely develope the skills
needed to fight under "normal" conditions (ie. conditions where the
targets are in the correct locations). Also the paries (defense
movements) must be somewhat reversed. They don't get much practice
with this unless there are an inordinate of lefties in their group.

					 P.M.Pincha-Wagener

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (09/10/85)

> >How is it possible that a left-hander would suffer a disadvantage against
> >another left-hander?  This would mean that both would be at a disadvantage.
>
> Easy. Lefties are so rare in fencing circles that they rarely fence
> against each other. That being the case, they rarely develope the skills
> needed to fight under "normal" conditions (ie. conditions where the
> targets are in the correct locations). Also the paries (defense
> movements) must be somewhat reversed. They don't get much practice
> with this unless there are an inordinate of lefties in their group.
>
> 					 P.M.Pincha-Wagener

I'll try again.  When two left-handed fencers face each other, each of them
is facing another left-hander.  Neither of them has had much practice against
left-handers.  How would either of them have a disadvantage that the other
wouldn't have?
--

wilde@apollo.uucp (Scott Wilde) (09/13/85)

>I'll try again.  When two left-handed fencers face each other, each of them
>is facing another left-hander.  Neither of them has had much practice against
>left-handers.  How would either of them have a disadvantage that the other
>wouldn't have?
>--
>Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)

Both fencers have the same handicap. The "disadvantage" is relative
to their own performance when fencing a righty.  Because of the lack of practice
their fencing is much more awkward  and not nearly as clean. As a result, the
fencers both perceive themselves as being at a disadvantage because their
movements don't feel right. (Just like I feel when fencing against a lefty :-))
So in the sense that both are fencing below par, both are at a disadvantage.

                                                           Scott